NFC, how does it work on wp8?

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
So I just got my HTC 8x, and love it! I grabbed an NFC tag (the one from the box of Nokias) and tried to scan it with no success... Then I grabbed the Motorola razr HD and it did it in a matter of seconds. I'm guessing Microsoft has some kind of limitations as to when/where you can scan tags for security, but how can I scan things like tec tiles? I mean I know how I can send pictures, but no idea how I can read these things! And then writing NFC tags, does anyone know an app that makes it easy to assign a contact to a tag?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
When you scan the Nokia tag with your 8X (you may need to change your volume and some settings to hear this sound), do you hear a sound being made? I know I managed to scan my bus pass and my student card with my Nokia Lumia 920. Didn't get anything out of it except the sound though when NFC contact is made with the phone.

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
When you scan the Nokia tag with your 8X (you may need to change your volume and some settings to hear this sound), do you hear a sound being made? I know I managed to scan my bus pass and my student card with my Nokia Lumia 920. Didn't get anything out of it except the sound though when NFC contact is made with the phone.

the thing is, that I can't even scan it for whatever reason... Do you just scan from the homepage?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The screen has to be on (but can be on the lock screen) for it to scan. If you have it locked with the screen off then it won't attempt to scan. Try doing the scan with volume on max, and make sure the "All Other Notifications" checkbox in "ringtones+sounds" in Settings has a tick in it before you attempt to scan. If you hear a sound the NFC is there and working and the NFC chip just needs formatting and programming properly. If not then try another NFC tag or ask someone to send you a contact via NFC. If that works then the tag is shot. If not, chances are your NFC chip is damaged

Csobarki

May 24, 2013
Visit site
Sadly NFC is almost useless on WP, so don't worrie if you can't use it. :D U can do almost nothing with it as the phone settings can't be modified throuhg NFC. So when u sit in the car place your phone to the holder u can't use an NFC to start bluethoot and connect with the radio and start playing online music and start a navi and set the volume to max or when u arrive home u can't which on the wifi and set the volume to medium. Nothing. On andriod this all working well. Now i have a 820 i can writte an url to an NFC tag. Realy usefull. :D

inesigmi

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
I spent 1 hour trying to stream my pictures from my Lumia 820 to my brand new LG TV using the NFC sticker provided by the TV. When I pass the Lumia onto the sticker, I sometimes get a melody on the Lumia (does this mean it paired with the TV?) and some other times I get a message on the Lumia saying "Can't open - Sorry, your phone can't recognize this type of file"

But no matter if melody or not, nothing happens on Lumia or on the TV. Shouldn't some scree have pop up asking me what I want to do? Isn't that what NFC would be doing?
Perhaps I'm just terribly confused as to what NFC should be doing if it would work...

BTW, the LG TV also features methods such as Miracast, All Share and Intel's WiDi.
Are the Lumias supporting any of these?

Thanks for shedding some light, if u can :)

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I spent 1 hour trying to stream my pictures from my Lumia 820 to my brand new LG TV using the NFC sticker provided by the TV. When I pass the Lumia onto the sticker, I sometimes get a melody on the Lumia (does this mean it paired with the TV?) and some other times I get a message on the Lumia saying "Can't open - Sorry, your phone can't recognize this type of file"

But no matter if melody or not, nothing happens on Lumia or on the TV. Shouldn't some scree have pop up asking me what I want to do? Isn't that what NFC would be doing?
Perhaps I'm just terribly confused as to what NFC should be doing if it would work...

BTW, the LG TV also features methods such as Miracast, All Share and Intel's WiDi.
Are the Lumias supporting any of these?

Thanks for shedding some light, if u can :)

You can use PlayTo to stream media

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos