Music Corner

hubberttyler

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I was messing around with my kid's corner and I had an idea. I decided to place all my favorite albums (originally I wanted to place artists but that's not possible atm) within my kids corner. I think this could be a good idea for windows phone if expanded upon with various types of corners (Social Corner, Games Corner, Productivity Corner, Video Corner, etc.) any thoughts?

Attachments

• Music Corner.jpg
    Music Corner.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1

hubberttyler

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
In other words, you would like an Android style UI with multiple home screens?

Not really, but similar to the screens idea, but a bit different in the reasoning, android "needs" multiple screen seeing as the amount of apps on one screen is limited. We can pin as many apps as we like to our start screen, but adding corners gives a bit of organization without a mile long screen. Also, if accessible through a swipe in the lock screen you'd only be accessing them when you need them, and otherwise would be hidden.

And before we get on this "gtfo and go to android" topic, I am not a fan of android's UI nor the lag I've experienced with the android tablet I had at one time. My first smartphone was an Omnia 7. I've never owned a smart phone other than windows phone 7 and 8.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
We have this already...

• People hub (Social)
  • Games hub (Games)
  • Music & Videos hub (Music)
  • Photos hub (Photos)
The only thing I see that could be added to these is another page that has an app listing of apps that fit in these categories for easy access to apps of similar nature...

Perhaps you are really just looking for pinnable folders?

WorzelGummage

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I see. I take your point about the extra "corners" being hidden and only accessible from the lock screen. It is starting to sound like a good idea now.

Nirodrit534

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
We have this already...

• People hub (Social)
  • Games hub (Games)
  • Photos hub (Photos)
The only thing I see that could be added to these is another page that has an app listing of apps that fit in these categories for easy access to apps of similar nature...

Since we don't have to luxury of "pinnable folders" this is just an alternate way of getting to your favorite albums, games, people or whatever you want without cluttering up your main home screen.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
Since we don't have to luxury of "pinnable folders" this is just an alternate way of getting to your favorite albums, games, people or whatever you want without cluttering up your main home screen.
Well, we don't have multiple corners either. If one were to be implemented, my bet would be on folders....

hubberttyler

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
We have this already...

• People hub (Social)
  • Games hub (Games)
  • Photos hub (Photos)

I see that we have Hubs, but Hubs don't always work the way we'd like them to. For example, say we have a Music+Video corner it would be much quicker to swipe the lock screen over and unlock and have a full screen of albums, artists and/or apps, personalized for each individual, associated with such. The Music+Video Hub does a pretty good job for most, but I feel like I'm taking unneeded steps sometimes. For instance, let say I wanted to open an app like fandango yeah it's in the Music and Video hub app section, but so is bloomberg, cnn, and the weather channel and other apps I don't primarily use for Video. not to mention, why would I open an app to open app.

As for folders, I would definitely welcome folders with open arms as well. The corners idea is just another approach.

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I see that we have Hubs, but Hubs don't always work the way we'd like them to. For example, say we have a Music+Video corner it would be much quicker to swipe the lock screen over and unlock and have a full screen of albums, artists and/or apps, personalized for each individual, associated with such. The Music+Video Hub does a pretty good job for most, but I feel like I'm taking unneeded steps sometimes. For instance, let say I wanted to open an app like fandango yeah it's in the Music and Video hub app section, but so is bloomberg, cnn, and the weather channel and other apps I don't primarily use for Video. not to mention, why would I open an app to open app.

As for folders, I would definitely welcome folders with open arms as well. The corners idea is just another approach.
Why would I swipe to one of multiple corners that locks me into only functions of that corner to open an app? Why not just unlock the phone and have every function available.

I just don't see the need for multiple "corners". Let each user define how he wants to use it for quick access. I set mine up for games, but you know what? I NEVER use it because it is just as easy to unlock to the homescreen and tap on Games vs side swipe, up swipe, and tap on the game. A while back I set it up for music just as you have, but I found it even worse than it is for games since I usually want to do something else while listening to music, but since I accessed it through the corner, I had to cycle through the lock and unlock process to get to anything else.

hubberttyler

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Why would I swipe to one of multiple corners that locks me into only functions of that corner to open an app? Why not just unlock the phone and have every function available.

I just don't see the need for multiple "corners". Let each user define how he wants to use it for quick access. I set mine up for games, but you know what? I NEVER use it because it is just as easy to unlock to the homescreen and tap on Games vs side swipe, up swipe, and tap on the game. A while back I set it up for music just as you have, but I found it even worse than it is for games since I usually want to do something else while listening to music, but since I accessed it through the corner, I had to cycle through the lock and unlock process to get to anything else.

Well obviously, at the moment, it's no where near perfection which is why in my original post i mentioned it could be expanded on. I'm sure there could be more alternatives to navigating through the corners other than from the lockscreen, as well as having the app list accessible from all your various corners if you need it.

Last edited:

Cheewii Poon

Apr 14, 2013
Visit site
I have no idea why everyone doesn't like this idea, I love it! I for one have done this too, placing nothing but music apps on the kids corner for easy music access. This really just a customizable music collection start screen. I think with the way you presented it, how we could pin albums and songs to the corner, that'd be awesome looking. I love this idea and hope they make it :D

Oh and for the guy who said "In other words, you would like an Android style UI with multiple home screens?", this is about Windows Phone, why do you even have to compare it to Android or any other platform? Windows Phone's 'motto' is not "To be hipsters and totally different from Android", so kindly shut up.

CJ Thunder

Feb 16, 2011
Visit site

This is exactly how I want folders to operate on our system. But links on the main screen, instead of swiping all over the place.

dakranii

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The only downside for this would be volume. Kid's Corner limits the volume to 2/3 of the max volume elsewhere (20 vs. 30).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05