Change Graphics Card

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
So I have a windows 8 PC. Switched from a Mac. This PC came with nvidia graphics, but it can only read the integrated intel graphics. How do I get it to show the nvidia graphics?

Paulsalame

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
click windows then run then msinfo32 and then go to display and see if the nvidia shows up. I have a dell xps that comes with a 420 nvidia

SvanteH

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Silly question perhaps - have you installed the drivers for it? The driver right now on that screenshot looks awfully "look what Windows found for me".
This should be the latest if you're using 64-bit Windows 8:
Drivers | GeForce

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OP - is that running on a laptop? Am guessing Sony Vaio

Just wondering because the intel 4000 will use a lot less power and has more dedicated RAM than if you force it to use the nvidia 640M LE on its own.

The way it should work is the nvidia card will automatically step in to fill the gaps that the intel hd cant handle. The only thing that will happen if you force everything through the nvidia is increased battery drain with no real performance enhancements.

Last edited:

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
OP - is that running on a laptop? Am guessing Sony Vaio

Just wondering because the intel 4000 will use a lot less power and has more dedicated RAM than if you force it to use the nvidia 640M LE on its own.

The way it should work is the nvidia card will automatically step in to fill the gaps that the intel hd cant handle. The only thing that will happen if you force everything through the nvidia is increased battery drain with no real performance enhancements.

No, a vizio ca27t-a5 all in one.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
You mean fix? Well I contacted vizio like someone here said and there was a setting to leave nvidia graphics always on, so I enabled that.

Thanks for the correction autocorrect :sweaty:

It tends to be simple solution which I sometimes overlook however it good to hear that the problem fix :smile:

mrpenaflor

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Your laptop got Optimus Technology. Basically its going to use the integrated graphics card to save power then switch to dedicated when you need it e.g. when you open graphic extensive application like games. if you're going to enable it always, that will shorten your battery life.

You mean fix? Well I contacted vizio like someone here said and there was a setting to leave nvidia graphics always on, so I enabled that.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Your laptop got Optimus Technology. Basically its going to use the integrated graphics card to save power then switch to dedicated when you need it e.g. when you open graphic extensive application like games. if you're going to enable it always, that will shorten your battery life.

I have an all in one, so...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise