cant edit excel sheets on my 820..

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
MS is working on a fix. The issue is not your phone, it's the Excel Web App. Until it's fixed, you can't edit a spreadsheet on the phone if you've opened it in Skydrive on the web. See this thread for details: http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows-phone-8/216196-ms-excel-phone.html

Important part: "we're working on getting the fix shipped as soon as we can. But at this point the date is still not certain. I can say it will be out no later than end of Feb, and earlier if we can. I hope to get it earlier than that."

Check the thread linked to in that post (on MSs forum) for updates.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
WP8 can not edit any excel sheet not created on the phone. My lap top is running Windows XP not Windows 8. Open a new, blank, excel spread sheet on the phone and copy the contents of your other spread sheet into this new, blank sheet. Then you will be able to edit the spread sheet and download it to your laptop. Unfortunately, you will only be able to use the functions available on the phone version of Excel, not all the full functions available on your laptop. I am running Office Pro 2010. This solution sucks and I am really disappointed with my windows 8 phone. This is my first smart phone so I don't know if a Droid is any better.

Spreading lies like this is stupid. WP can open Excel documents from other sources all day long. They have to be the up to date .xlsx file types, but if you're not using .xlsx instead of .xls, you need to get with the times. .xls has been outdated for years.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Spreading lies like this is stupid. WP can open Excel documents from other sources all day long. They have to be the up to date .xlsx file types, but if you're not using .xlsx instead of .xls, you need to get with the times. .xls has been outdated for years.

Many still use the format. This is on MS , no one else. Office for WP should allow you to open and edit these files. You shouldn't have to jump through hoops to do so. I get emailed a spreadsheet that I need to fill in or edit, but I can't always do that and that's bs. MS dropped the ball here.

RichHowerton

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
i created an xlsx file using office excel 2010 on my laptop, uploaded to skydrive. then opened on windows phone, and had no trouble editing, making changes, and saving to skydrive. then open back up on laptop using office excel 2010, and changes made on pphone were there. I do not see any issues.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
If you use Office 2013 the integration is even sweeter. Just open and save to SkyDrive simply on the PC and edit if required on the phone.

Everyone should be on XLSX format these days as it's more consistent than the older versions and is also an open standard which means other office apps are more likely to open it and have it look the same.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
i created an xlsx file using office excel 2010 on my laptop, uploaded to skydrive. then opened on windows phone, and had no trouble editing, making changes, and saving to skydrive. then open back up on laptop using office excel 2010, and changes made on pphone were there. I do not see any issues.

The Excel Web App development team fixed the issue earlier tonight, so there should not be an issue anymore. But what you did has AFAIK always worked, it was the .xls files and the files edited in Excel Web App that had problems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs