cant edit excel sheets on my 820..

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
tap on the cell you want to edit and you will see a box on top where you can edit it. The box is on top next to fx. You will see cell content in that box. Tap inside that box, keyboard will pop up, do your editing.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately, Office for WP isn't all its cracked up to be. Some docs can't be edited. Not sure if its due to certain formulas that may be in the spreadsheet or the file type its saved as. Either way, it is frustrating and embarrassing to not be able to edit the sheet at all. I am very disappointed.
Sadly, I bet i could open up and edit the file on Android.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
thanks to all who took the time to reply when the spreadsheet opens it shows right up at the top that this document cannot be edited. i;m sur ein the past i have managed to edit the spreadsheet.

this phone is going to make me go mad!!!!

Tuner6

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
WP8 can not edit any excel sheet not created on the phone. My lap top is running Windows XP not Windows 8. Open a new, blank, excel spread sheet on the phone and copy the contents of your other spread sheet into this new, blank sheet. Then you will be able to edit the spread sheet and download it to your laptop. Unfortunately, you will only be able to use the functions available on the phone version of Excel, not all the full functions available on your laptop. I am running Office Pro 2010. This solution sucks and I am really disappointed with my windows 8 phone. This is my first smart phone so I don't know if a Droid is any better.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
WP8 can not edit any excel sheet not created on the phone. My lap top is running Windows XP not Windows 8. Open a new, blank, excel spread sheet on the phone and copy the contents of your other spread sheet into this new, blank sheet. Then you will be able to edit the spread sheet and download it to your laptop. Unfortunately, you will only be able to use the functions available on the phone version of Excel, not all the full functions available on your laptop. I am running Office Pro 2010. This solution sucks and I am really disappointed with my windows 8 phone. This is my first smart phone so I don't know if a Droid is any better.

Make sure the excel documents are saved as .xlsx not .xls or it will not open. I open Excel documents all the time. It would be pointless if you can only open Excel documents made from Windows Phone. No one in the right mind would use WP to create excel document all the time.
I've been opening Excel documents on WP8 and WP7 since it was launched over 2 years ago.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Thanks to all who tried to help, tried uplaoding to skydrive through the laptop. still no joy. they are in the xlsx format aswell.

i tried to create a new docuemnt via the phone but as i cant edit the document i cant copy the text to paste in a new one... lol

windows phone has sent me mental!!!

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Thanks to all who tried to help, tried uplaoding to skydrive through the laptop. still no joy. they are in the xlsx format aswell.

i tried to create a new docuemnt via the phone but as i cant edit the document i cant copy the text to paste in a new one... lol

windows phone has sent me mental!!!

I tried that too. At the very least, your think we could at least copy from it but can't even do that. I feel you, its very frustrating.

lkwaijunior

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I don't know if I'm too late to the party, but I faced the same issue just two days ago; there's a workaround for it.

1) first things first, Excel on wp8 will only open (and allow editing) on sheets created in MSOffice 2010 or later. I don't know why or how. So if you have the choice, always save with MSOffice 2010 or later.
2) The workaround involves the Excel Web-app.
2.1) Upload the sheet you need editing to skydrive
2.2) Access the desktop version of skydrive (I used an actual desktop for that, but apparently the IE Desktop mode works too)
2.3) From within skydrive, open the excel file via the excel web-app.
2.3.1) The app will prompt to ask if it may convert the file into an editable version > Allow it.
2.4) When resultant file has been converted, save it from within the excel web app (to skydrive)
2.5) Since it's now saved, access the same file from your phone via office (load the file from skydrive; make sure you refresh the file listing so you see the new file.)

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi, I don't know if I'm too late to the party, but I faced the same issue just two days ago; there's a workaround for it.

1) first things first, Excel on wp8 will only open (and allow editing) on sheets created in MSOffice 2010 or later. I don't know why or how. So if you have the choice, always save with MSOffice 2010 or later.
2) The workaround involves the Excel Web-app.
2.1) Upload the sheet you need editing to skydrive
2.2) Access the desktop version of skydrive (I used an actual desktop for that, but apparently the IE Desktop mode works too)
2.3) From within skydrive, open the excel file via the excel web-app.
2.3.1) The app will prompt to ask if it may convert the file into an editable version > Allow it.
2.4) When resultant file has been converted, save it from within the excel web app (to skydrive)
2.5) Since it's now saved, access the same file from your phone via office (load the file from skydrive; make sure you refresh the file listing so you see the new file.)

hi, thanks for trying to help, whats the excel web app, i coudlnt find it in the store.

lkwaijunior

Aug 19, 2012
Visit site
hi, thanks for trying to help, whats the excel web app, i coudlnt find it in the store.

you have to upload the .xlsx you want edited to SkyDrive first - then you open SkyDrive on desktop mode, then just open the file from within SkyDrive. Excel webapp should pop right up.

Remember to save the resultant file..!

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
thanks, ok since you had posted a created a new document in skydrive and saw the excel app on the screen, next problem i cant seem to copy from the spreadsheet into this new on i have just created.... i havent got to type it all out again have i???

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
after many frustrating hours, i actually think i have found a way of getting a excel document on my phone which i can edit.

In skydrive click on create a new excel sheet, give it name, rather than leave it in Excel web app, click on open in excel.

Ive been copying and pasting the old spreadsheet into the new one.

Then saving onto my desktop< ive found that XLSX format to be the best one and every time it works

then back on skydrive i upload the saved spreadsheet into the skydrive and then click on the office via the phone and check it works and you can edit it...

worked for me.... cant believe i have found a way, although i have wasted 2 days of my life:unhappysweat:

Tuner6

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
That sounds like what I suggested yesterday. I used that for a few days and then decided this solution sucks and abandoned it. If I want to edit my spreadsheet I use my laptop so I can do it with all the features of Excel 2010. I am really disappointed with my WP8 phone but don't know if the Driod is any better. As I said before, this is my first "smart phone" and therefore I have nothing with which to compare.

robert peake

Jan 28, 2013
Visit site
That sounds like what I suggested yesterday. I used that for a few days and then decided this solution sucks and abandoned it. If I want to edit my spreadsheet I use my laptop so I can do it with all the features of Excel 2010. I am really disappointed with my WP8 phone but don't know if the Driod is any better. As I said before, this is my first "smart phone" and therefore I have nothing with which to compare.

yeah it is, but i coudlnt copy from the spreadsheet in the phone as it wouldnt let me edit it so no copying the text, hence why i had to go on the pc to do it.

at least there is a way around it, must admit i was looking at the blackberry z10 and the sony z something today, wondering whether i can stick out the windows phone, ive had blackberrys for years so this was a big switch for me, and not one thats been that enjoyable. i love the phone the layout etc but i worry its going to freeze and not sync my emails ie had to do 4/5 hard resets and it doesnt back up completely so its a big worry and i travel abroad quite a bit so if it did that when i was away i would be lost.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
yeah it is, but i coudlnt copy from the spreadsheet in the phone as it wouldnt let me edit it so no copying the text, hence why i had to go on the pc to do it.

at least there is a way around it, must admit i was looking at the blackberry z10 and the sony z something today, wondering whether i can stick out the windows phone, ive had blackberrys for years so this was a big switch for me, and not one thats been that enjoyable. i love the phone the layout etc but i worry its going to freeze and not sync my emails ie had to do 4/5 hard resets and it doesnt back up completely so its a big worry and i travel abroad quite a bit so if it did that when i was away i would be lost.

While I too am not the most pleased with WP yet, if you are having hardware issues, having to reset, etc....i would definitely get your phone replaced. Your phone sounds defective

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo