Question: Windows Phone 8 and other services

_JKK_

Jul 13, 2011
Visit site
Hi all!

I'll say it right now: I am not tied in with Microsoft in almost any way. I own a MacBook Pro. I use Dropbox (though I'm looking very curiously at Skydrive). I use Gmail, Google Calendar, and Contacts. I have owned an Android phone, and various iPhones. I own a PlayStation 3.

But damn, do I want a Lumia 920 (or something comparable). Windows Phone 8 looks nice, and the hardware is there. The camera on the 920 is amazing, from what I've seen and used. I do, however, have some questions:
  • How well does WP8 work with Gmail/Calendar/Contacts? I have an Outlook account, but I have to use Google's services for work. Is the WP8 client passable? Have the CalDav/CardDav issues been fixed yet?
  • What is the method for using a Lumia 920 (or any other WP8 device) with a MacBook? I have a gaming PC with Windows 8 on it, and I am definitely not opposed to using that primarily, but I do use my Mac most of the time.
  • How "agnostic" is Windows Phone 8? I mean that in the sense of how well does it play with other services and such. I realize that certain portions of it are heavily integrated with Microsoft products (like the search button and Bing), but does the majority of the OS play well with services from Google/Twitter/Facebook/etc.?
  • Can certain parts of the OS be ignored? For example, the Xbox aspects. I don't have an Xbox, and I don't want to see the big "Xbox" tile every day of my waking life. Can I uninstall it? Or is it something that just has to be left alone?

I have some other questions that relate specifically to the Lumia 920 and carriers, but I'll save that for the relevant forum. Thanks for any thoughts/help!

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
If it's Google services for work and not personal, things should work fine. Microsoft is working on the CalDav/CardDav issues. There are many people and threads that can help you set your Google services up on Outlook.com.

There's a Windows Phone app for mac.

Google doesn't play well, but there are some apps to help some things. Twitter and Facebook could use some improvement.

You can unpin the Xbox tiles if you don't want to see them on your screen.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes