Anyone sick of Microsoft making Nokia it's new iPhone?

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
1080p on a smartphone screen is useless. Already the L920 nobody can resolve pixels, so it's a pointless pixel race beyond that. It's much better to invest in better battery tech & GPU.

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
Im sick of samsung and htc for not giving a crap about WP, they made phones and almost completly abandoned them and left at **** place, while nokia does all the hard work to get WP popular.
Im a htc owner and my mistake was to buy htc instead of nokia.
I hope htc goes bacrupt after samsung galaxy 4 comes out.

the_tyrant

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
guys, I have to correct something. Nokia was never known for software.

about Symbian, Symbian was taken "in house" around the same time that elop became CEO. In fact, that is why the latest version of Symbian has been renamed Nokia belle.

even with Symbian, Nokia did horribly. Symbian is like android, the OEMs skin it themselves. Nokias s60v5 skin was so much worse than Samsung's and Sony Ericsson's it wasn't even funny

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Nokia does not do Android, bet everything they had on WP, and therefore have a bit of exclusivity for all their money into WP.
I fail to understand why so many people hate that...

peanutbutterbug

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I think HTC is still more into their Android devices where as Nokia is committed to it's Windows phone 8 devices.

I've had 5 HTC devices and it's made me truly hate them. I know that the 8s is a low end device but it gave me massive sms issues and the fact that I couldn't change the OS language to German angered me. Come on this isn't android stop limiting things like that. I have a Nokia 620 now and I can change it to any language.

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
I've revised my earlier opinions about this. It seems to me that Nokia are filling some very noticeable holes left by MS with WP8 - A top notch Turn by Turn Navigation app being the most obvious example. If these holes didn't exist, or were more easily filled by 3rd party developers as is the case with Android/iOS, people would care as little about Nokia apps as they do about Motoblur, Touchwiz, or Sense apps on android devices. Nobody cares about the apps Android OEM's put on their phones because they're extremely expendable. They don't even give it a second thought. WP8 needs to fill these gaps so no single OEM possesses "must have" apps, or even apps that are clearly better than anything you can get on the Windows Store.

From my perspective the solution is simple. Stay away from WP8 devices that are priced on par with other flagship phones offered by Android or iOS until it fleshes out some more. Luckily you do have that option. For $250 off contract you can get a lot of bang for your buck with a Lumia 620 which is what I might do to dip my toe into WP8 rather than diving right in. I think a lot of people are more upset because they have being locked into 2+ year contracts at stake (or spending over $600 outright) so they're more invested in which WP8 maker offers more advantages. I would be annoyed if I had spent $600 or used up my 2 year contract too. Although being forced to either use specific carriers you may hate, or having to buy a $600+ phone off contract and unlocking a phone to use on another carrier who doesn't officially support your phone due to exclusivity deals is also a hassle. I wouldn't do it.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
After this next disastrous quarter HTC will have a come to Jesus talk and decide whether throwing money into the android black hole is still worth it.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
sorry, but... Nokia is known for software. Up too about 2011, it had the most popular OS in the world.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

Their software is what nearly killed them...Symbian was something they bought and then brought in house...
Yes, they were known partly for software, but in a most negative sense!

The software apps they are releasing however are nothing short of awesome...Kudos to them

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Well of course, since Nokia is only focusing on WP. MS can't spend money on HTC when they are producing Android phones also.
Actually, Microsoft partnered with HTC for the 8X and 8S, and invested pretty heavy marketing dollars apparently. It also launched Portico on the 8X first.

Fast forward to February 2013, and HTC shows off a vaguely Windows Phone-like home screen on an Android flagship with 32/64GB of storage compared to the insane 4GB 8S and 8/16GB 8X, then says Windows Phone isn't good enough to support its camera technology. Good use of time and money, Microsoft.

zephyrwala

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
Nokia is the beat thing that ever happened to WP, from amazing exclusive apps like city lens, Nokia music, maps, etc to exclusive features like preview, OIS, wireless charging. I'm a pround owner of lumia 800 and 920. HTC new droid flagship is an April fool's joke of ultra pixel and non sense. Lumia is the real deal. The support Nokia is shown to wp7.x devices is brilliant ! So please be thankful for Nokia

Richard Sealy

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm a HTC 8S owner and yes, price and my refusal to to pay EE'S extortionate tariffs for LTE in the UK that led me to this phone. I'm happy with with my 8S, but there's no getting away from the sheer sexiness of the Lumia 920. Now the UK's 4G auction in finished, my Next mobile will be a 4G Lumia 820. Good luck to Nokia, iPhones are SO overrated and I refuse to join that sad herd of apple lovers :)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Nokia just did another positive PR job for WP, where are HTC and Samsung? That's why they are the #1 WP OEM. Time to stop moaning about Nokia and direct these questions to your buddies in Taiwan and Korea.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I think it is great that the "HERE Apps" are now released for all platforms. Nokia has done more for this platform then any other manufacture. HTC has released the most phones but most of them were original WP7 Launch devices. I think it is great that Nokia has released their own in house apps for the whole ecosystem. Without Nokia, I wouldn't want to imagine where WP would be right now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte