HTC gives Windows Phone the finger

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Storage

So, people say there isn't much separating Windows Phones apart - too much standardisation. So, it must be easy for manufacturers to get the few possible differentiators perfect, right? Let's take a look at one such area for Windows Phone 8 devices, storage:

HTC:

8X: 8/16GB
8S: 4GB + microSD

Nokia:

Lumia 920: 32GB
Lumia 822: 16GB + microSD
Lumia 820: 8GB + microSD
Lumia 810: 8GB + microSD
Lumia 720: 8GB + microSD
Lumia 620: 8GB + microSD
Lumia 520: 8GB + microSD

Samsung:

Ativ S: 16/32GB + microSD
Ativ Odyssey: 8GB + microSD

htc_8s_review_7-580x455.jpg

So, let's get this straight. HTC has two WP8 devices, that together make up the "signature line" of Windows Phones. In other words, Microsoft loves the heck out of these phones and thinks they are the hero devices. Yet the 8X is the worst non-expandable device, maxing out at 16GB. The 8S is the worst expandable device, with the 4GB of internal storage restricting users from installing many apps. And of course, Nokia just unveiled a certain Lumia with 8GB of internal storage and microSD support...

at an estimated starting price of €139 before taxes and subsidies.

Cost isn't a legitimate factor here. Actually, we had this problem in 2010, when most launch Windows Phones only carried 8GB of storage. Also, most launch Windows Phones were from HTC. It didn't work then, and it isn't working over two years later. But this can no longer be attributed to simple ignorance. HTC is well aware of the importance of storage, as evident from the unveiling of its latest Android flagship, the HTC One (though Samsung still takes the cake):

htc-one-vs-galaxy-s3-11.jpg

And last year's One X and One X+ offered storage from 16GB to 64GB.

htc-one-x-vs-one-x-8.jpg

Software

The company also unveiled Sense 5 on its new flagship, which includes a somewhat familiar home screen called "BlinkFeed":

blink-feed-blog-header-640x346.jpeg

Hello!

WP8-high-contrast-c.jpg

Camera

To top it off, Pocket-lint reports that "there are no current plans" to migrate HTC's Zoe Camera technology to Windows Phone.

zoe.jpg

Of course, Nokia had no problem implementing a tonne of camera features through Lenses, not to mention OIS on the hardware side.

Cinemagraph-for-Nokia-Lumia-WP8.png

Conclusion

I hope someone at Microsoft recently got fired.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
HTC may not be putting much effort into WP, but Samsang are putting even less into WP.

Its difficult, but Microsoft need to try and help make WP more than just a vessel for selling Nokia phones. Otherwise it just becomes a one horse race.

Although rather annoyingly, HTC & Samsung aren't really bothering (even with Microsofts money), still making it a one horse race.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
OP.

You really need to find yourself a new hobby! The sad thing about that wonderfully prepared post of yours is that come the end of the day nobody cares.

mrmdj31675

Banned
Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Why getting to conclussions on what HTC and Samsung are doing or not doing? There are rumors both have surprises coming in the next few months, especially when they went public about new devices coming (and expected at least by Sprint and other carriers this summer).

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
This entire post is ridiculous. HTC isn't giving the finger to WP. They are a struggling company with a variety of products out there. Android is their focus, as it has been since 2008. The 8x is a solid phone, one that many people are enjoying .Yes, it lacks storage, but not everyone wants or cares about that. 16gb is plenty for me, as I use Skydrive and Stream my music, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same.

Nokia only has Windows Phone. They bet their entire company on this, so of course they are going to go above and beyond the other OEMs when making and marketing their products. It's literally all they have. HTC is low on funds at the moment, so they are putting their efforts and money into what they feel is going to keep them going, and right now that's Android. Also, the whole Zoe thing is just a report, not a definitive response. Though, for the life of me I cannot fathom why people are so excited over 3 second video clips.

It seems like I'm seeing these posts on almost a daily basis anymore. People need to stop overreacting and buy the product that makes them happy.

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
So a struggling company needs to concentrate more on a things that bring them the least revenue? You should run for Congress. That's the type of business savy that sent our economy down the crapper. Nice presentation though. lol

aubreyq

Dec 4, 2010
Visit site
Gotta say I loves me some AngryNil in the morning. I agree with JerseySal that HTC is not going to put money into something that's almost guaranteed to make less revenue (unfortunately that is Windows Phone), however I agree with AngryNil that the whole "Signature" line thing might as well be dropped because honestly, if anything screams "Signature" for WP, is Nokia hardware.

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
As with many things, I think MS deserves some blame here. HTC is probably focused mainly on Android because they can't put their best hardware in a WP phone. The One has a newer Snapdragon chipset and 1080 screen, both not supported by WP. When you're struggling like HTC is, you want to get the best product you can make out there in front of consumers, and they can't do that with a WP phone.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
As with many things, I think MS deserves some blame here. HTC is probably focused mainly on Android because they can't put their best hardware in a WP phone. The One has a newer Snapdragon chipset and 1080 screen, both not supported by WP. When you're struggling like HTC is, you want to get the best product you can make out there in front of consumers, and they can't do that with a WP phone.

So basically what you're saying is that because of Microsoft, HTC can't compete with Nokia because they can't use the best possible hardware currently out there. What exactly makes you think they could compete with Nokia even if MS would have wider hardware support as they would then be available also to Nokia as well?

sandmanfvr

Jun 15, 2011
Visit site

MS put spec requirements out there, HTC is just scraping the bottom of the barrel and putting phones are that meet the bare minimum of those specs; that is HTC's fault not MS. I had the HTC Arrive and loved how my H, T, and C on the back cover FELL OFF due to the glue stopped holding. My HTC Hero back in the day had issues and build quality was a joke. Just last week, my wife's HTC EVO 3D micro USB port just broke; aka the plastic piece in the USB port that holds the pins in, fell out. My wife is careful with her phones and didn't break it by being careless; she was without a phone when the charge ran out. I ran and got her a S3 she been wanting and from then on, NO MORE HTC handsets in our house. HTC are about doing things on the cheap and that is NOT MS's fault. Nokia is driving WP8 and that is good, my 920 is coming Wednesday and I really don't care if other manufacturers don't "man up" as Nokia is doing very well. Also I don't see the hate toward Nokia just because they are doing a great job.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
So a struggling company needs to concentrate more on a things that bring them the least revenue? You should run for Congress. That's the type of business savy that sent our economy down the crapper. Nice presentation though. lol

If they dont invest anything in WP how do they expect to get any returns? And when Nokia brings the exclusives, gets all the press all HTC and Samsung fans start crying that Nokia is bad for WP.

bear_lx

Jun 28, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has always been there flagship in my mind regardless if what name the htc windows phone 8x has... If there is one thing MS has never understood , it's branding and advertising. I hope they can figure this out sooner than later...

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
So basically what you're saying is that because of Microsoft, HTC can't compete with Nokia because they can't use the best possible hardware currently out there. What exactly makes you think they could compete with Nokia even if MS would have wider hardware support as they would then be available also to Nokia as well?
I don't see how you got that from my post. I didn't even mention Nokia at all.

MS put spec requirements out there, HTC is just scraping the bottom of the barrel and putting phones are that meet the bare minimum of those specs; that is HTC's fault not MS. I had the HTC Arrive and loved how my H, T, and C on the back cover FELL OFF due to the glue stopped holding. My HTC Hero back in the day had issues and build quality was a joke. Just last week, my wife's HTC EVO 3D micro USB port just broke; aka the plastic piece in the USB port that holds the pins in, fell out. My wife is careful with her phones and didn't break it by being careless; she was without a phone when the charge ran out. I ran and got her a S3 she been wanting and from then on, NO MORE HTC handsets in our house. HTC are about doing things on the cheap and that is NOT MS's fault. Nokia is driving WP8 and that is good, my 920 is coming Wednesday and I really don't care if other manufacturers don't "man up" as Nokia is doing very well. Also I don't see the hate toward Nokia just because they are doing a great job.
I agree that HTC has had some quality issues in the past years. In fact, that's probably a big reason why they've been struggling lately. Though my anecdote is a good one: my Trophy has been stable with no issues at all since day 1.

I think you both missed my point. The point is that if HTC can't really put their best hardware on WP due to MS rules, they're probably just going to continue making low to mid range phones for WP. Especially since their potential profits from WP are still pretty low right now. That's it. No need to get all defensive about Nokia here.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
This entire post is ridiculous. HTC isn't giving the finger to WP. They are a struggling company with a variety of products out there. Android is their focus, as it has been since 2008. The 8x is a solid phone, one that many people are enjoying .Yes, it lacks storage, but not everyone wants or cares about that. 16gb is plenty for me, as I use Skydrive and Stream my music, and I'm sure there are others that feel the same.

Nokia only has Windows Phone. They bet their entire company on this, so of course they are going to go above and beyond the other OEMs when making and marketing their products. It's literally all they have. HTC is low on funds at the moment, so they are putting their efforts and money into what they feel is going to keep them going, and right now that's Android. Also, the whole Zoe thing is just a report, not a definitive response. Though, for the life of me I cannot fathom why people are so excited over 3 second video clips.

It seems like I'm seeing these posts on almost a daily basis anymore. People need to stop overreacting and buy the product that makes them happy.

It would seem that people post this stuff because the product that would make them happy isn't available on the WP8 platform.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Well, it comes to that in the end doesn't it?

You say that HTC is concentrating on Android because of the hardware restrictions in the WP. That means either that HTC feels it can't compete inside WP8 when restricted to those or that they feel that they can't sell such devices in general. The latter sounds quite odd considering their wish to make the signature devices and everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6