Gameloft Games for BB10 Came First...

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
They are, though they are there just to bolster app numbers. They in looks and usability just horrible, with many apps not having full functionality.
The app situation really is quite far away from WP.

that said it's a shame if the games really are available for BB10 and not WP.

This!

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I was also under the assumption that it's very easy to port Android apps for BB10, this would most likely be the most logical reason, as BB doesnt even have the marketshare advantage to WP anymore, there's no real reason for them to prefer BB over WP at this point, except if one would be easier to develop for.

Android apps only run in Blackberry via an emulated environment, and emulating Android 2.3 at that. So tons of newer content wont run and what does generally runs poorly.

There's no inherent reason why it should be easier to develop for Blackberry than Windows Phone. Both OS's are fundamentally different from Android or iOS but both feature development kits that facilitate the process. But porting is far from ever being a trivial process.

Blackberry has the advantage of having a slight edge in market share over Windows Phone. But I think the bigger driver here was that they were a lot more closely involved in getting those games ported. They likely pushed a lot harder than Microsoft did and probably covered a significant portion of the development expenses themselves. But who knows? Other factors might have come into play. Blackberry is definitely in more of a desperate situation.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Android apps only run in Blackberry via an emulated environment, and emulating Android 2.3 at that. So tons of newer content wont run and what does generally runs poorly.

There's no inherent reason why it should be easier to develop for Blackberry than Windows Phone. Both OS's are fundamentally different from Android or iOS but both feature development kits that facilitate the process. But porting is far from ever being a trivial process.

Blackberry has the advantage of having a slight edge in market share over Windows Phone. But I think the bigger driver here was that they were a lot more closely involved in getting those games ported. They likely pushed a lot harder than Microsoft did and probably covered a significant portion of the development expenses themselves. But who knows? Other factors might have come into play. Blackberry is definitely in more of a desperate situation.

We can just hope these gameloft games come soon.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Yes. Yes, there is. And it's a typical Microsoft reason.

BB10, Android and iOS use OpenGL ES as a graphics library. This means that the job of porting a game between these three platforms is 80% easier than porting from any of those to WP, which uses DX11. The facepalms in this are legion:

Most of the hard work in designing and implementing a game goes happens in OpenGL (at least for graphics) and the rest is essentially reimplementing given code in various languages. However, for a port to WP8, the graphics bit will also have to be redesigned and reimplemented and that's not easy. OpenGL and DX11 are different enough that it's close to doubling the amount of work needed. Also consider that anyone good at DX11 will be working for a PC or Xbox game developer, and few of those bother with phone games (PC and Xbox use DX11 libraries as well).

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm no expert, but maybe BB's putting more money into this than MS?
Last time I checked, most new games to WP8 were thanks to Nokia (even if they were Lumia exclusives)

Gambit11B

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Well, I don't even think porting is necessary for BB10. People said a LOT of apps going to the platform are actually Android 2.3 versions of those apps, so there must be some way to get already-made Android apps running on B10, meaning even if Windows Phone 8 is easier for porting than 7.5, BB10 might not even need it.

Of course Android apps are easier to port, BB10 is QNX based......but the Android 2.3 versions you speak of are sideloaded apps, not full ports. This means that the developers are going to prioritize BB10 over WP8 because it's "easier" to do so (on porting existing apps). This problem is becoming a real headache for WP8 consumers.....

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Downloading now and its 79p which is nice to see. Normally they are over ?2.

You would think this would be at the top of the new releases but i had to search for it. I wouldn't have known if i hadn't seen this thread.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Downloading now and its 79p which is nice to see. Normally they are over ?2.

You would think this would be at the top of the new releases but i had to search for it. I wouldn't have known if i hadn't seen this thread.

Sadly, I can't download asphalt 7 now. Weird. United States, Nokia Lumia 920. Anyone else have this problem? It says it isn't available for my device.

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try purchasing through your online account. It might work and it will automatically start downloading to your phone.

Really good game btw. Runs great and looks great too.

Only issue, it makes your phone incredibly hot! Battery ain't gonna last a full day with this one :)

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe try purchasing through your online account. It might work and it will automatically start downloading to your phone.

Really good game btw. Runs great and looks great too.

Only issue, it makes your phone incredibly hot! Battery ain't gonna last a full day with this one :)

Angry Birds Star Wars makes my phone very hot too. And how do you want me to do that??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo