Is windows phone 7 dead?

soumitro316

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Has Microsoft completely abandoned windows phone 7 users?..because all new app announcements and releases seem to be windows phone 8 only..they are acting as if windows phone 7 never existed..which is bad for ppl like me because here you don't get phones on contract..you have to by them outright..so I can't exactly upgrade everytime a new device comes...show us some love Microsoft

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This was what I was afraid of. I actually bought my Lumia 920 at full price to save my early upgrade. I am probably going to get a WP9 device or a iphone when my upgrade is up.

The app quality on the WP8 is much better even for the same apps, Apps like ESPN Scorecenter and the Main ESPN apps are prime examples. WP7 I believe is dead. the 7.8 Upgrade isn't happening like it should and Microsoft should have not released wp7 UNTIL probably Mango was release. I just hope that don't force people to upgrade their devices with WP9 to get it.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm still using a WP7 device, and I've gotten a bunch of new apps lately. I got Assassin's Creed and Earthworm Jim games a couple weeks ago. I just got Foroplex today, Angry Birds Seasons is also available.WhatsApp got the latest updates.

MikeSo

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yes, it is. The entire installed base of both WP7 and WP8 is barely enough to motivate developers (more seem to DROP WP8 than ADD it), the idea that they will spend even 1 minute developing for an OS that no longer will be getting any new users is not realistic. I expected this though, so I'm OK with just using whatever exists right now. But it does make those dumb "the end of the beta" ads that MS (or was it Nokia) were running pretty ironic in retrospect.

soumitro316

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Assasins creed and earthworm Jim have been out for about 3 years now....whatsapp too didn't get the large tile and stuff...also new apps like Nokia Here maps is available for non lumia devices but only windows phone 8

soumitro316

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Don't know whether to buy a WP 8 device or a bb next year...because it would be really disappointing if after I bought a WP 8 device Microsoft announces WP 9 and says existing devices won't be compatible...like what happened to me with my current WP 7 device

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Don't know whether to buy a WP 8 device or a bb next year...because it would be really disappointing if after I bought a WP 8 device Microsoft announces WP 9 and says existing devices won't be compatible...like what happened to me with my current WP 7 device
a very valid concern
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
This is why WP 8 isn't that appealing to me. If MS dropped WP 7 so quick and pretends that this is their first mobile OS to ever come out is ridiculous.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

soumitro316

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
And I'm not trying to bash Microsoft or WP....i think WP is an awesome OS...better than Android and I say this inspite of owning an Android tablet...but I think Microsoft has been pretty unfair with us WP 7 owners

jlynnm350z

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Put yourself in Microsoft position, of course your going to pay more attention to Windows 8 as to further progress the OS as well to bring in new customers. You don't want to completely ignore Windows 7 users so you don't alienate your core customers but I think it is inevitable that Windows 7 will slowly be forgotten by Microsoft. It's probably best to not hang on and invest to much into Windows 7 and try and move on to Windows 8 where you know there will be support. It sucks if you are already heavily invested, bad move on Microsoft's part but it would be wise I think to slowly migrate to Windows 8. It does no one any good to sit there and sulk in sorrow for yourself and be angry at Microsoft. Your not hurting anyone but yourself and denying yourself of an awesome OS ecosystem experience. After all I'm sure you expected this to happen, so it shouldn't be that big of a surprise. Hopefully Microsoft will learn not to piss of it core supporters in the future. Stupid move Microsoft.

soumitro316

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Yea I agree...and I already said I'm not bashing Microsoft....windows phone is the coolest mobile os in my opinion..both 7 and 8.....but still you have to agree 7.8 is a bit of a joke

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Yea I agree...and I already said I'm not bashing Microsoft....windows phone is the coolest mobile os in my opinion..both 7 and 8.....but still you have to agree 7.8 is a bit of a joke

Yes but I still want it. And they said that it was coming . . . So I want it.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
...but still you have to agree 7.8 is a bit of a joke

I think you are obsessing over rather irrelevant things. Can you provide concrete examples of what you can not do with WP7 that you would like to? Many actually believe WP7 is still better than WP8 at this point. Jealous of a version number?

There certainly is a point when support for WP7 will dwindle, it has started, but WP7 has got a lot of new stuff lately, including new versions of Nokia Drive and Skulls of the Shogun! WP7 isn't becoming useless! New WP7 devices are still being sold all over the world. It is far from dead.

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Rooms, Kids Corner, Lock screen notifications, any new app. I think every feature available for WP8, I wish I had on my 7.8. All I got was themes and tile sizes. Who believes that WP7 is better than wp8 and can prove it?

Still not sure why the wp7 team was not able to make wp8 work on wp7 hardware. EVERY other platform has been able to do that for at least the consecutive OS update. Yes, I know the kernel changed. That really breaks rooms? All rooms does it share a calendar and put all those contacts in a group. Kids corner, really? Thats a UI tweak to get a right swipe and lock to get back. They already had notifications on the lock screen, all they did was prevent us from putting our own up there from 3rd parties. Apps are just lazy devs. How hard would it be to just remove the parts that will not work on wp7 kernel? Cannot take that much time.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Who believes that WP7 is better than wp8 and can prove it?

An editor at pocket now for example. Many bloggers all over the web agree with his take. I too believe that, at this point, WP7 is the more mature OS. It's a lot more stable. It boots faster. It is just as fast and fluid, not to mention all the other reasons listed in the editorial. At this time, I fail to see much value in the WP8 update. It actually feels like a step back. I got a Lumia 920 from work, but the only thing I find truly superior to my Lumia 800 is the camera, largely due to the hardware.

Still not sure why the wp7 team was not able to make wp8 work on wp7 hardware. EVERY other platform has been able to do that for at least the consecutive OS update. Yes, I know the kernel changed. That really breaks rooms? All rooms does it share a calendar and put all those contacts in a group. Kids corner, really?

Actually, Microsoft had the NT kernel running on Gen1 WP7 hardware. Microsoft never said a port wasn't possible due to hardware limitations. That rumour popped up on the web. Eventually, that rumour won out over the other presumed reasons, likely because it felt most acceptable and most probable to most people. However, it is BS. Microsoft could have done it, had they felt it was in the platforms best interest.

You take on Kids corner, Rooms, etc. is spot on.

Rooms, Kids Corner, Lock screen notifications, any new app. I think every feature available for WP8, I wish I had on my 7.8.

Well, obviously I can't tell you what you want or don't want. However, you are the first person on this forum I've heard calling for Kids Corner. Most are utterly uninterested. Rooms are nice, but they're hardly a mainstream feature. Lock screen notifications are likely the most useful, yet none of those things are major features in any way. Compared to the advantages of WP7, I would say those features are laughably unimportant.

I don't think wanting to install "any new app" is really a feature. I'm sure installing apps isn't a major hobby of yours. Using apps is what it's about. At this point, there are barely any features that are exclusive to WP8.

Honestly, I think many people want an OS update just because they want an OS update. Like I said, it's version number jealousy.

To sum up, WP7 is not yet dead. It's just settling down.

Last edited:

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
The app quality on the WP8 is much better even for the same apps
a21.jpg

Ok you dont have to keep rubbing it in.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members