Is windows phone 7 dead?

Visva27

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Yes, its dead when the wp8 released. I think wp7x existing users are never going to buy wp8 or WP series. Microsoft once they will release the new WP series they forget all previous series. So people be aware of this.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Yes, its dead when the wp8 released. I think wp7x existing users are never going to buy wp8 or WP series. Microsoft once they will release the new WP series they forget all previous series. So people be aware of this.

Stoo spreading FUD, no platform is supported forever.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site

Yeah I have to agree. My windows phone does everything I need it to do. Its great for students and allows me to edit ms word docs on the go. I just don't see much of an appeal so far. Maybe when WP9 will come out, i would get that. Especially if it could suck & blow at the same time.
Sent from my SGH-i677 using Foroplex

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that outside of Nokia updating their stuff, I would not expect to see much of anything new from MSFT. WP7 is as mature as it will ever be.

No its not dead in the sense that it is a mature, functioning platform. I still see people rocking Nexus Ones, EVO 4Gs, iPhone Classics, Droid X2s, and the occasional Palm device out in the wild. As long as the phone still does what works for you, then that's what matters.

Ian Berg

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
Aside from the factory-installed functions and apps on my Lumia 710 running WP7.8, the only apps that I really need are TuneIn Radio and Kindle. I have another dozen or so apps on the phone that I installed from Marketplace and I have no complaints. I look forward to upgrading to WP8 or WP9 but I'm in no rush.

joelsilva

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
It's not dead, microsoft is still supporting it and the developers are still working in apps for this version, don't forget the rumours that says that microsoft is working on 7.9 version.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
I like my phone as is. All I'm saying is don't wave an update or hype up an update in front of my face if your not going to release it. The comment above me regarding / claiming there is another version. I don't want to be bs - ed anymore.

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
don't forget the rumours that says that microsoft is working on 7.9 version.

OS-wise , I'm alright with that. If it involves Firmware, forget it. It was hard enough to get my ROM's firmware to run the Bluetooth drivers correctly to use Bluetooth Share and BTFileTransfer with Nokia's latest firmware and I'm certainly not going through that again. :angry:

Anyway, back to the point. I find the rumors that Microsoft or Nokia providing another WP7.x update highly unlikely. (Ignoring the recently pushed 8860 and 8862 builds of WP7.8) The former provided us a half-assed OS update with a costly data bug and only "considered" to fix it once multitudes of users noticed the flaws. A fix was issued weeks later, but problems such as this should never happen, especially when you're trying to calm the anger of us "early beta" WP users.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
If WP8 did relevant things noticeably better than WP7, I'd be using my L920 more (which is my weekend/camera phone). Heck, even the biggest feature touted for GDR2 is radio support, which my L800 has always had. I'm still using my L800 more often than my L920. I suspect that won't change until Blue.

Orlok1138

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Not for me. I'm gonna try to hold out with my L900 till Wp9. Then get I high end wp8, as long as those being upgradeable to 9 still holds true.

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that outside of Nokia updating their stuff, I would not expect to see much of anything new from MSFT. WP7 is as mature as it will ever be.

No its not dead in the sense that it is a mature, functioning platform. I still see people rocking Nexus Ones, EVO 4Gs, iPhone Classics, Droid X2s, and the occasional Palm device out in the wild. As long as the phone still does what works for you, then that's what matters.

Very true!
I have an old E55 lying around (Symbian s60) and the other day I powered it up and connected to the Nokia Store just to see what was happening. Believe it or not, I actually found a whole bunch of apps that weren't there before - nothing groundbreaking but it still goes to show there are still devs coding even for this platform.

I guess when a platform truly dies is when everyone stops using it (or no one really adopted it in the first place).

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
The way the phone world evolves i question why there is so much uproar over updates when they end up just buying the new devices when it gets released anyways.....
Get new device...get new version...who cares about old one right?
And its not like the old phone just all of a sudden stops working when the new one is announce/released.....

But on that note yeah its pretty dead, WP7 has nowhere to go now. WP8 I would think can be upgraded to WP9 due to all the more modern internals and the WP8 kernal change to the more universal NT kernal shared with RT and Win8.

nexus74350

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

If think WP7 will be dead in september/october not before.

January : WP7x=81% and WP8=19%
February :WP7x=74% and WP8=26%
March : WP7x=69% and WP8=31%
April : WP7x=57% and WP8=43%

699244forecastWP7x.png

Attachments

• clip_image003%u002525255B6%25255D.png
    clip_image003%u002525255B6%25255D.png
    40 KB · Views: 111

flapadlr

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I decided today that it is and ordered a Lumia 920. No app updates for 7 Phone, few updates. Look at the front page of this site. Ordered one in yellow.

MrSean490

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Anyway yes WP7 is going to lose support but I'll still use this particular phone for as long as it works. The thing that will die will probably be the battery so I give the phone probably 5 years before the charge no longer holds long enough to serve a useful purpose

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
WP 7 won't be dead for a while because WP 8 doesn't support all the games created for WP 7. There are still games coming out that at for WP 7 only. And ending the support for both platforms in 2014 isn't making everyone switch.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99