WPCentral live tile not working on 7.8?

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Same here mate, it makes no sense at all, some apps work others don't.. Devs blame ms, ms says devs need to update with "reflective" whatever that is... All my live tiles are working except for wpcentral, annoying coz its one of my favs.. A lot of finger pointing going on and no solutions. I have breaking news and das image updated to 7.8 wide tile running and they are perfect.. I think devs have just a abandoned us...

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
It's incredibly frustrating for us too, MS say devs need to use their new reflection-based methods to update the live tile, which is exactly what we're doing, following the new 7.8 SDK to the letter.
Still, I am trying to work out what's going on and to fix it, but the chances are we're the only third party app on your phone trying to use the new SDK (and hence the double wide tile), which may be why we're the only app not working at the moment.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
I think devs have just a abandoned us...
You have my word WP7 will not be abandoned for our app, we delayed the WP8 release for months just to make sure that we maintained as much backwards compatibility as possible and could bring bug fixes to both versions whenever possible.

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Jay if it make you feel any better. The WPCentral Live Tile is working in Wide and Medium on my Focus Flash with 7.8 after that last microsoft patch 8862.144. All Weekend and this morning..Not sure why it not working for some and for other's it is not.

Rhemzis

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Lumia 800 updated to 7.8. One of the forums say the wide live tile for WPcentral is beautiful. However, my WPcentral can only do the small and medium live tiles. Did I miss anything?

Emil Ranta

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm using Lumia 800 updated to 7.8. One of the forums say the wide live tile for WPcentral is beautiful. However, my WPcentral can only do the small and medium live tiles. Did I miss anything?

Can't find any wide live tile either on my Lumia 800 7.8

edit: Weird it works now. Hmm intredasting

Last edited:

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
These problems are probably more server-side than it is app-dependent, but I'm still befuddled over the fact that the WPCentral live tile doesn't show live tile notifications, even after two so-called "fixes" for the WP7.8 update (builds 8860 and 8862). Toast notifications work wonderfully for the WPCentral app but I wish I could say the same for live tile notifications...

Either way, here's to hoping that a fix comes out soon.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
These problems are probably more server-side than it is app-dependent, but I'm still befuddled over the fact that the WPCentral live tile doesn't show live tile notifications, even after two so-called "fixes" for the WP7.8 update (builds 8860 and 8862). Toast notifications work wonderfully for the WPCentral app but I wish I could say the same for live tile notifications...

Either way, here's to hoping that a fix comes out soon.

I'm beginning to forget and live with this issue now. Think it can't be fixed. The Vevo app stopped flipping completely. There's something wrong with 7.8 seriously, not forgetting the 3 seconds lapse something takes to open after tapping on it. They want us all to move to WP8 by making 7.8 buggy......it's insane you know that.

ash29k

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm beginning to forget and live with this issue now. Think it can't be fixed. The Vevo app stopped flipping completely. There's something wrong with 7.8 seriously, not forgetting the 3 seconds lapse something takes to open after tapping on it. They want us all to move to WP8 by making 7.8 buggy......it's insane you know that.

my L900 is blazing fast, as fast as my gf's 920 (now that is one buggy phone I'll tell ya!) and all my tiles work like a charm except wpcentrals, everything updates as they should, breaking news, amazing weather, metrotube, twitter, Facebook, weave, newsy etc all work like a charm....

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site

Well, you have to remember that 7.8 adds more tile customization options, and since the tiles are obviously hi-res, having an abundancy of them should affect app starting times. (Even more so if many of them are live tiles.)
Plus, the features in 7.8 are basically features you can experience on WP8. While it will STILL run on the Windows CE-based WP7, it didn't say that it will run smoothly. There's also the "your mileage may vary" aspect coming into play.

Sure, the Windows Phone 7.8 update may seem like Microsoft's half-assed ditch effort to keep their fanbase, but at least they delivered. They didn't have to offer an OS update to us, but they did, so we should try to enjoy our WP7 handsets until a chance for an update comes.

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
So I thought I should share some of the reasons for our tile issues on 7.8. Microsoft opened up this awesome wide tile capability and we wanted to do something cool with it. The problem is, they didn't increase the allowed memory for background tasks which is how we update our app.
That means we have to generate 4 times the tile images (not just double as the tiles are already twice as wide) within the same limitations.
Effectively we are running out of memory every time we try to update the live tile. The incredibly frustrating thing is that this problem does not occur when using the emulator which is what was used during development, as 7.8 still hasn't officially rolled out to my dev devices.

I have tried so much to bring the memory usage down but it just isn't possible to render custom tiles as we are within these restrictions it seems. Instead we will have to go to a different tile using the built in templates, which I am working on doing now.

kenzibit

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
So I thought I should share some of the reasons for our tile issues on 7.8. Microsoft opened up this awesome wide tile capability and we wanted to do something cool with it. The problem is, they didn't increase the allowed memory for background tasks which is how we update our app.
That means we have to generate 4 times the tile images (not just double as the tiles are already twice as wide) within the same limitations.
Effectively we are running out of memory every time we try to update the live tile. The incredibly frustrating thing is that this problem does not occur when using the emulator which is what was used during development, as 7.8 still hasn't officially rolled out to my dev devices.

I have tried so much to bring the memory usage down but it just isn't possible to render custom tiles as we are within these restrictions it seems. Instead we will have to go to a different tile using the built in templates, which I am working on doing now.

Then lets do away the double live tile and stick to the single tile just like before so all things work fine. I don't think it's by force or compulsory for any of us to use a double tile. We can go back to WP7.5 tile and we will have our app responding perfectly just like before ;-)

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Then lets do away the double live tile and stick to the single tile just like before so all things work fine. I don't think it's by force or compulsory for any of us to use a double tile. We can go back to WP7.5 tile and we will have our app responding perfectly just like before ;-)
Agreed and I'm just sorting out how that's going to work on wp7 first, hopefully close to a release now guys

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
I just have to say that I love how you are giving us the insight view and reacting so fast. Really awesome service, dear Sir!

I hope you will come to a sollution for the live-tile problem soon. Good luck! :)

Topic: It would be totally ok for me to have a "normal" tile as long as the updating works... MS should change the memory limitation/usage asap! Sometimes... I just don't understand the choices MS makes...

Etios

Feb 10, 2013
Visit site

+1, 7.8 is worthless POS. It is buggy and also introduced Lag to a perfectly smooth OS(7.5)

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I actually prefer not having the notification count now. On 7.5 sometimes that count wouldn't reset itself after I read the articles. I like just having the latest article on flip, but alas that's just me. Anyway, thanks Jay for your continued work supporting WP7.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa