04-23-2013 05:37 PM
36 12
tools
    Windows phone doesn't need notification center that's why it has toast+tile notification,toast as it comes in and tile for viewing it. I dont understand the obsession with notifcation center for wp,just because android has it doesn't mean wp should and fyi android doesnt have tile notifications.
    Geddeeee likes this.
    03-01-2013 10:46 AM
    Windows phone doesn't need notification center that's why it has toast+tile notification,toast as it comes in and tile for viewing it. I dont understand the obsession with notifcation center for wp,just because android has it doesn't mean wp should and fyi android doesnt have tile notifications.
    It doesn't matter if we don't need it. It's a matter of whether or not the majority wants it. Don't use it if you don't want it.
    03-01-2013 04:31 PM
    I swear, this is the exact same post that is over in The Verge forum.. Is that you dbannor?

I have reservations about the top down approach for some of the same reasons a5cent mentioned earlier. Also I don't think WP needs to use the same paradigm as Apple and Android.

I see the points people mention about it not being necessary, but I think it wouldn't harm the OS and sometimes Live Tiles are not on the main screen that represents an event.
    Last edited by ebsn; 03-01-2013 at 04:54 PM.
    03-01-2013 04:42 PM
    Just give me a notification tile that I can pin where I want it. All it needs to show me is how many toasts I've missed and when I launch the tile to show me the toasts listed from most recent to oldest. As a luxury maybe tapping the toast would bring me to the associated app.

Or just allow a left swipe from the home screen to see your most recent toasts. Im know huge advocate of notification centers per se but I am sick of missing auctions on ebay because I wasn't looking at my phone for the ten seconds that the toast came through alerting me to an item ending soon.

I am no developer but for Microsoft this really should be a doddle. They could knock something up overnight surely. I don't buy the 'we ran out of time' excuse that the fella with the silly haircut pawned us off with after WP8 was launched. Just do it.
    03-01-2013 07:40 PM
    hey, how about this? when you hold the back button and swipe to the left? found it on some other forum idk which one.hs_color_blue_lr.png
    Neo Nuke likes this.
    04-02-2013 06:21 PM
    I had almost exactly the same idea a while ago, a notification center what you could access by swiping down from the status bar with a twist that it does not cover anything, it just sort of pushes the current open application away from the screen and shows the information that seems like it has always been there, the screen just wasn't positioned to display it. It could even leave the app you came from visible in the bottom so that you absolutely could not get lost. I think I tossed this idea in the end because I didn't like the swipe gesture accessing it, swipe down from the top is a very cumbersome gesture to do one-handed with a big screen device.
    As much as I prefer the home screen approach for the notification centre, your concept is beautiful and gels well with the UI (similar to the task switcher). If Microsoft has to do a notification shade, I hope they use your version.
    04-02-2013 10:29 PM
    hey, how about this? when you hold the back button and swipe to the left? found it on some other forum idk which one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HS_color_blue_LR.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	31609
    That's my concept I made for a while ago for My Nokia Blog. You can see the full idea in here, there's also QR codes in there to try it for yourself.
    04-03-2013 12:19 AM
    I just dreamed of this last night!
    04-03-2013 12:37 AM
    How bout this?
    Tilting the phone a certain way will tilt the app frame, revealing app logos for the apps that have notifications. Clicking on one of them takes you to a different screen where you select the specific notification you want from that app. It's innovative, intuitive, and unique to Windows Phone to make people go "Wow!".

For example, tilting the phone right would tilt the frame right. The notifications would be revealed on the far right of the screen, essentially "behind" the tilted app. However, it can work from any angle, except tilting up, because that would intrude the status bar. What do you guys think?
    Last edited by Dadstar0410; 04-03-2013 at 10:44 PM.
    04-03-2013 03:18 PM
    hey, how about this? when you hold the back button and swipe to the left? found it on some other forum idk which one.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HS_color_blue_LR.png 
Views:	16 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	31609
    i really like the style of this solution, BUT it doesnt show any additional informations, so not very usefull. it should show at least a preview of the messages, a one-liner or something. because the way its shown here it actually shows the same info what the life tiles allready do (well, besides the names of hohn and jane)
    04-03-2013 05:35 PM
    Why not pull the Start Screen right (finger swipe from left to right, away from app list) and reveal a notification center? It fits within the Metro (I hear a German helicopter full of lawyers flying this way) theme, and gives the feeling of "pushing" apps away to see notifications. We already have an arrow at the bottom of the Start screen that directs the user to the app list, why not have a little text bubble, or a bird (tweet)? Heck put the symbol at the top of the start list to show there IS a notification. Although that last idea sounds kind off android ish (eck!!!)
    04-23-2013 05:37 PM
36 12