Is this time to give Mac OS a try if you haven't?

toujours_frais

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I love my MS Surface Pro, but when it comes to getting a new laptop, I am really tempted to go for a Macbook... My Sony Vaio just died on me, I am sick of another PC, on top of that I dont really like the new metro UI, plus the review of Windows 8 has been pretty negative as well. What do you guys think? Should I give a 13" Macbook with Retina display a chance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU2lITAz3OM

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I have a 13" MacBook Pro myself. They are good, but unless you have Mac only device keys they aren't really worth it. I'm actually one of those who has put Windows 8 on my MacBook, and the software runs like a champ on the MacBook. Very good quality control.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Macbook Pro in October 2011 and since then I've not looked back. I've yet to see a single Windows based laptop that gives the same hardware quality in a $1200 price package. Heck no Windows laptop has yet nailed the touchpad.
I've sworn never to buy Dell and HP laptops ever again; their laptops are almost disposable products. The only laptop in recent times that came close to the built quality of a MacBook is the Chrome Pixel, but sadly it's a Chromebook.

dgr_874

Aug 15, 2012
Visit site
I want to say no so badly, but I'm so tired of waiting for Microsoft to fix things. I almost run two complete ecosystems at home. On the Microsoft side, I own a windows 8 pc, windows 7 and 8 phones and two Xbox 360's all hooked together with Windows Media Center. I also have iphones, ipads, and apple TV's in the home too. I just keep coming back t Apple's offerings as being easier to use.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
I love Mac OS X and I believe Mountain Lion is a great OS and better than Windows 7 or 8. I can do everything faster on OS X than I could on Windows.

dba415

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Go parade your ****** feathers on a mac forum...

I also use a Windows Phone, and just bought an Android tablet.

Just cause I am open minded and can think for myself unlike the many sheep that are on this forum you want me to leave? That sounds about right.

Stop being a lame ******

Jrexxx

Mar 12, 2012
Visit site
I've got a 13" MBP, and on the hardware side NOTHING in the windows realm comes close to the MacBook. The touchpad is an absolute joy to use, I can not stress that enough. I'd buy the MBP again just for the touchpad. Another positive thing is the screen: I have yet to see a Windows laptop that has a screen as good as the MBP (I also own a Vaio, which are well known for their screens). The hardware also has some negative stuff: the aluminum construction means that it gets really cold when it's cold around you, and worst, it gets really, really hot, so much that sometimes I can't use it on my lap... Another issue is the palm rest: the edges are really sharp and dig into your palm, making it uncomftable use for long periods.

On the software front I prefer Windows:
- I'm more productive using windows;
- I prefer Windows' design to OSX's excessive animations and skeuomorphism,
- I'm an office user and office for mac is **** on earth,
- I like the windows 8 metro interface for when I want to chill out and have fun on my PC, and use the desktop when I have to do some work,
- Sadly I haven't had much success with Windows 8 running in bootcamp so I'm stuck with OSX when I'm on the go :/ (my Vaio is a desktop replacement that I use when I'm at home).

Hope this helps you :)

Marute

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
You have an 11" Surface Pro that runs full Windows 8, and you find it to be very good. However, you don't really like Windows 8 despite the fact that you like you Surface Pro. And why do you build you opinion on Windows 8 from reviews when you have it right there in your Surface to play with? And why go for an 13" machine (Mac or Windows) when you already have an 11" Surface Pro?

I'm sorry man but you reasoning makes little sense to me. :)

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Go parade your ****** feathers on a mac forum...

Show more maturity please. It's people like you that contaminates the forum atmosphere. Your post could also be considered trolling or even a personal attack. I would pull up the rules but I am currently on my Nokia. I love my Mac as well, does that make me an Apple ****** too given I use WP7, WP8, Windows 8, Windows 7, iOS, and Android? He was asking a question, so remarks like yours are unjustified.

SlayerSpecial

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I always find it pretty awkward to read posts of people asking what they should do to complete strangers. Don't take me wrong but why ? Anyway, I'll bite, icons on a grid bores me to death, so I find the Modern UI/UX amazingly fresh, so since we're pretty much the opposite you should buy a Mac, you now have my permission.

WinFan1

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site
I too personally find the mac os incredibly boring and outdated. I im entirely windows based and im as productive and happy with my computer as I've ever been. I own an ASUS Laptop running win8 pro and a surface Rt. But like paladinleeds said too each their own.
Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When I'm bored with Windows, I run Linux. There are many distros to choose from, and there are also many different desktops available. Best of all, Linux is free. Granted, finding drivers is sometimes a challenge.

anon(5370748)

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I love my MacBook Pro (last 17" they made) Solid, fast, great for graphic design work. It sucks for Office, but that's why I run VMWare on it. I Have heard that the 13 Retina feels underpowered and just not as good as the 15 (and costs nearly as much). You might want to wait for the next rev, or the Air refresh which will probably have a high res screen if you don't intend to use it for anything too taxing.

PerttiMa

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
To be honest I love my MS Surface Pro, but when it comes to getting a new laptop, I am really tempted to go for a Macbook... My Sony Vaio just died on me, I am sick of another PC, on top of that I dont really like the new metro UI, plus the review of Windows 8 has been pretty negative as well. What do you guys think? Should I give a 13" Macbook with Retina display a chance?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU2lITAz3OM

I've been using MacBook Pro 15" and it's awesome laptop. However company infra is heavily based on Microsoft and Mac doesn't fit perfectly, although can be used.
So I looked other options and picked up Lenovo X1 Carbon. IMO it's closest to Macbook Air than you can get, and really good peace of hardware. If you can live with Windows or really need it, my choose would be this.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon