Shout Out if You WANT ANSWERS NOW

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I am willing to bet many of you in here are almost in the same boat as me. You have backed Microsoft for some time now. Xbox, Windows, Windows Phone, Zune, etc. But now are starting to get sick of them messing up what they got right, ignoring what they got wrong, and ignore us all together.

My story is simple. I have watched Microsoft take many steps in the right direction with the Zune. Then they allowed the Apple clowns to drag the name through the mud. As a result, a VERY DUMB decision was made to do away with Zune. Many of us just thought we would see the same program and service with some new lime green accenting and a nice Xbox logo in the corner. Instead we were given a program that tore away 90% of the Zune functionality. Instead of hoping to get the last few missing features; like the ability to added DVD covers to our movies, volume boosting, cutting the intro or ending to songs, etc; we were given music/video programs that made duplicates of your songs, gave you no way to really control your cloud, destroyed the metadata that the Zune software so nicely put together, lost the ability to make playlists, lost the ability to use watch your video purchases on your PC, Phone, Surface, and Xbox....the list goes on and on. This was disheartening enough, but I figured I could wait it out and hopefully that will get better.

I'm sure many of you have had many, many other problems. But here is were I have decided to draw the line. I have now had my phone completely fill up for the THIRD time since I got it 4 months ago. How does this happen? The "other" section of my data grows and grows till it will hit 12+ GB. There is no way to clear it. The Shrink Storage app does not help. Now for those of you that have been with Zune since the beginning, this is nothing new. Since the first gen Zune, the "reserved" space would grow and grow until you would have to factory reset your Zune and start over. The first few times I called Microsoft support, I would be fed the line "the large amount of reserved space you are seeing being taken up is the OS". I asked why the OS was growing overnight. At which point I would get double talked. Soon, I began to refuse to take that as an answer when I would call. At that point, they switched gears to "that is past firmware". I told them it was odd that the firmware was 8x the size of the original OS and even weirder that it was cleaned up by the firmware install or that it couldn't manually be removed. Once again I was getting now where. I began noticing and pointing out to them, that as I watched more and more movies on my Zune, that deleting them only recovered about 2/3 of the original memory taken up by the video file. That didn't interest them any. But as I kept a more keen eye on the situation, that is exactly what was happening. Deleting videos, music, and later on apps, never fully recovered your memory. This would continue till your reserved/other space took over your whole device. This carried over from my Zune, to my Zune 80, to my Zune HD, to my Dell-Venue-Pro, and now to my Nokia 920. I have had over 20 calls with Microsoft on this problem, through all the devices. Each and every time, they claim that it is the first time they have heard of it, even though there is pages after pages covering this in forums, including Microsoft's own. With the Nokia 920, they still insist it is photos, even though there is a section in the memory already for photos, or even more strangely, how 110 photos could take up 11.5 GB. They have since informed me the only way to remove the data taking up that section of memory, is a factory reset. Now the kicker comes. Each time I factory reset, the Nokia 920 bricks itself. AT&T is sick of seeing me for this issue and has told me to stop factory resetting if this is the result. Furthermore, they tell me if this is the issue, to switch to an iPhone. To avoid this, I now have to flash the damn thing myself.

What I find worse than this situation, is that Microsoft, does no PR damage control. They have so many issues and they acknowledge 1/100th of them. We were told that we would be getting many more updates due to their ability to push updates without having to deal with your carriers. Well, where the **** are the updates then? With all the problems they have laid at our feet, there needs to be bi-monthly updates. Things need to be fixed now. Not in a year when most of us will be looking at a new phone within months. This is becoming the new pattern. Issues are fixed 18 months later, just as early adopters are moving on.

Unfortunately, you can't get anyone at Microsoft's attention other than the poor $13/hr yes-man on the other end of the phone. How can Microsoft ask us to continue to dump more and more money into them, when they fix nothing, and take away most of the things they did right?

WPCentral has done the best job of any of the tech journalists, of getting in touch with the right people at Microsoft and at least getting some answers. What I would like to see, is Microsoft dedicate at least 1 PR person, to take directly to sites like this AND LET US KNOW WHAT IS HAPPENING. And before someone says this is out of touch.....what they have been doing is out of touch. They owe us so much more than how they have treated us. People have been jumping ship on them like no tomorrow, just to get the cool new fruit devices. And what do we get for sticking it out and remaining loyal to what we once saw under the helm of Bill Gates? We get 7 year old bugs that they sweep under the rug, and just implement into the next line of mobile devices. No one over there listens. They take our money, reinvest it in developing apps and software for all the Apple people that bailed on them when owning a white phone became cool, and tell us we might see the same app in another year. Thanks for Photosynth for WP8 by the way. Thank God you found the time to add more features to the iOS version first.

If you want answers and want to see ACTUALLY FIXES, please shout out, and add your input, or whatever you feel like. None of you are being treated like a loyal costumer. We are all being treated like BETA testers, whose findings they couldn't give a care about.

aniym

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Dead right on the Zune and PR issue. I had a Zune 80 and Zune HD and liked both of them, and especially liked the desktop Zune software...I don't understand why they couldn't just change the name and leave the software intact. And changing it to something like Xbox music is a joke. WP8's relationship with the Xbox outside of Smartglass and remote control functions is close to zero. I used WP7 between 2011 and 2012 and then left for Android. Kept my eye on WP8 hoping that MS would finally manage to get at the very least, major XBLA titles, since it was on their own console. They may not have been the developers, but surely they can offer some incentives for the developers to port on to WP8/RT?

In terms of PR, MS is getting routinely raked over the coals for WP8, Win8 and RT and are staying totally silent, which looks damaging. Yes, a corporation should not respond to every single rumour, but in MS' case silence means that they're ignoring the problem. I had a feeling WP7 phones would not get WP8, but Microsoft's response to that question really annoyed me as a customer: "WP7 apps will be compatible on WP8 phones". That wasn't even the question!

I feel like OEMs like Nokia are doing all they can to give WP8 some degree of brand cachet, but MS is not doing much to reciprocate in terms of OS development, and fixing the damn apps issue. As a consumer, I don't care what technical or logistical problems MS is having getting the big name apps on their platform. All I'm seeing is a multi billion dollar corporation putting out an app store that has the selection of a grocery store in the USSR in the 1970s. Compare it to iOS or Android, and I'm amazed Nokia has managed to sell even 3 million WP8 devices.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't care about its customers. Only Nokia seems to.

I'm not trolling, just disheartened. I can't even get email attachment support and basic pdf functionality needed for work.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft doesn't care about its customers. Only Nokia seems to.

I'm not trolling, just disheartened. I can't even get email attachment support and basic pdf functionality needed for work.

none of this is meant as trolling. We have just been ignored, along with the issues. I'm just hoping to get enough people sick of this, that maybe someone will start listening before we all bail.

mrshamoozoo

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree with you buddy. Microsoft needs to come through with their promises. I know Ben the PC guy reads this site daily, so at least some Microsoft people are aware of what's going on with the problems the platform suffers. I just wish they would act faster. Come on its 2013, I still can't add a custom tone to SMS?? Are we that blind? My girlfriend has the Xbox live achievement noise as hers on her android, so jealous. But she still wants a wp surprisingly 😁. I love windows phone. It was my first smartphone and I enjoy it everyday. I never want to switch to another platform. But something's got to give

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I completely agree with you buddy. Microsoft needs to come through with their promises. I know Ben the PC guy reads this site daily, so at least some Microsoft people are aware of what's going on with the problems the platform suffers. I just wish they would act faster. Come on its 2013, I still can't add a custom tone to SMS?? Are we that blind? My girlfriend has the Xbox live achievement noise as hers on her android, so jealous. But she still wants a wp surprisingly 😁. I love windows phone. It was my first smartphone and I enjoy it everyday. I never want to switch to another platform. But something's got to give

I love them also. But how can I continue using this thing, when I am required every month to factory reset the device to receive 12GB of memory back that I'm not using, and that in turns BRICKS MY PHONE. No matter how much I love it, I can't keep going on like this. It sounds silly, but I feel like I'm owed at least an apology for being ignored on this issue for 7 years.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I first tried WP 7 in 2010. Coming from Symbian, I found it really refreshing yet lacked many features needed for a full functional smartphone. A few months later, Nokia decided to move with WP. I felt it is the right move provided they add those lacking features on Symbian and it would be good to go with great UI. Two years later, I'm still waiting everyday that a feature would come, just to make it as usable as my Symbian phone and I'm just disappointed as nothing changes. I'm a big Nokia fan and I moved to WP for Nokia... and I'm unable to defend myself that why my phone is still Dumb whereas it is supposed to be a Smartphone.

Not only me, there are many folks here waiting for some basic apps. More than that some basic features to make the phone more usable. It is annoying and disheartening with MS's way of taking WP8. Microsoft being pioneers in software, I thought they would do a much better job than Nokia did with Symbian. Alas! it turned out even worse... I don't know why MS is not listening to all these forums and complaints on their own website... Most of the troubles are very basic in nature, like battery drains that need quick answers before their customers get turned away. Now, Nokia is bringing in more models. Well they look really good, but I'm patiently being impatient for improvements on WP8.

To this day, I don't have a functional messenger app which works without draining my phone's resources. Where is my Skype MS? I thought you owned it and promised to integrate it with WP8. Now, if MS cannot make a competent app for messaging what kind of better apps can we expect in this platform? And who is at fault for this? No proper API's for background functionality is not helping the developers, who are devising some workarounds which only makes the app half baked. In the entire app ecosystem, I haven't come across a single app that is complete in itself to say it as exemplary.

If I mail to Nokia, I do at least get a response. But I sincerely don't know how to approach MS. I don't have any energy left in yelling to get it to Seattle... There are many of the forum members already doing that and no response means not taking the responsibility...

End of rant...

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Unfortunately the problem is that only a minority of Windows Phone users actually acknowledge the shortcomings. I feel as if Microsoft doesn't get a strong enough feedback, or it's too weak to register on their radar. Case in point is the Facebook app. For a platform focused on social networking, the atrocious Facebook app is a MASSIVE disadvantage. I mentioned this in the comments on an article here on WPCentral only to be told by the writer that the app is 'official' and it's totally fine. I was also called a troll and blamed for spreading FUD.
So most people are totally OK with the terrible Facebook app, including supposed experienced WP users. With so many people willingly settling for mediocrity, I feel as if our cries will be lost in the crowd.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
Can't agree with you more Mr Ammar.... Every social app has left a mediocre or sub-par experience on WP8 so far. I've been following Skype community for updates, no promises from them yet. They acknowledge the shortcomings, and are still working on fixing them... I have no idea about facebook and for my own reasons I'm out of it. Yes, I did read your comments on the so called article :) Glad they are still letting you post your comments, as I noticed a few of my comments have been mysteriously deleted. And one of my thread closed as it points out deficiencies in WP8.

missionsparta

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Hopefully this doesn't get closed. As I stated, I love the intention and theory behind the Windows Phone OS. My problem is Microsoft not listening and/or just plain ignoring what we are saying. If they took what I was telling them seriously with the original Zune, we wouldn't be looking at the same issue almost a decade later.

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Bravo OP! MS will not succeed in mobile if this is how they are going to operate. I've already decided to jump ship in May. I can't see myself waiting for updates just to make WP usable. I love MS. Have Win 8 Vaio, Surface RT and 920. But, I use what works. Win 8 and RT work, Wp8 doesn't. WP8 will take at least two years to fix. Maybe longer from what I've seen so far. I'm getting Android for the time being and check it out at my next upgrade. I don't think MS has the people who understand mobile and the speed to keep up. If it takes a year to get all the problems fixed, they will still be a year behind a+a. I like the concept of everything 8, but MS screwed up big on implementation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro