Is there a way and a need to defrag the windows phone?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Adeth

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
Is there a way and a need to defrag the windows phone? Just like any windows os, defragment of the hdd helps regain some performance issues for the pc. We need apps to maintain our phone on tip top condition!

thed

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
You don't gain any performance by defragging solid state storage. Even if you could, it would just cause needless wear on the memory.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
No and no.

That.

Use this phone for 36 months. If it lags, I will give you ?250.
I've used my Titan for 13 months, without a single soft reset, reboot or need to even think of task management or defrag. With WP8, of course OS does stumble at times, but it won't lag over the time.

So, I conquer, no and no.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Fragmentation issues are not directly related to the OS, but rather to the file system (NTFS, FAT, etc) and the storage medium (HDD, SSD, etc).

No WP device uses spinning discs, it's all solid state storage, so defraging is entirely unnecessary.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
can you guys recommend any tips/tricks on how to speed up windows phone 8?

You are missing one of the main points of WP! The entire OS was explicitly designed/setup not to deteriorate over time. The idea is to free you from all computer maintenance. Not by automatically maintaining your smartphone (like Windows would by periodically scheduling defrag operations), but by creating a system that is inherently maintenance free by its very nature!

WP is designed to squeeze as much performance out of your hardware as it can muster. WP focuses 100% of the systems computing resources on whatever it is you (the user) are doing at any one time. There is no need to go mucking about the system trying to rid yourself of wasteful CPU and/or RAM hogs.

We shouldn't have to babysit our tech gear.

Unfortunately, WP hasn't succeeded in being 100% maintenance free at all times, but the issues WP faces are more battery than performance related.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon