Feels so good to be home.....

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So, long story short, I ended up going to a 4s because of all the bugs I had with my first black 920. People couldn't hear me on calls, build quality was terrible (creaked, bad light leakage, etc...), voice recognition didn't work, etc...

So I was pleased when I bought a brand new, refurbished 920 last night off craigslist for 300. This is a red one, which extreme build quality, and feels excellent (especially the gloss, giving it some grip). Needless to say....it feels so good to be back home, and although it has only been a few hours of having it, just from the build quality alone, I don't think I'll have the problems that made me leave for a second; voice recognition is working, calls I've had have been fine and everything. I just couldn't stand iOS (email SUCKS on it), and with all the news of apps coming (showing support may be growing) it just feels like a great time to be back. As long as this phone stays this solid I'm here to stay again....

It just feels so good to be back where I belong. I still have huge doubts about Microsoft as a company, and whether they are truly serious about Windows Phone, but Windows Phone 8 is around 95-97% perfect for me right (with the flaws being some hardware annoyances, such as camera placement on the 920, and things missing like VPN, etc...), and I just can't see myself leaving again.....

TripsG

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
So, long story short, I ended up going to a 4s because of all the bugs I had with my first black 920. People couldn't hear me on calls, build quality was terrible (creaked, bad light leakage, etc...), voice recognition didn't work, etc...

So I was pleased when I bought a brand new, refurbished 920 last night off craigslist for 300. This is a red one, which extreme build quality, and feels excellent (especially the gloss, giving it some grip). Needless to say....it feels so good to be back home, and although it has only been a few hours of having it, just from the build quality alone, I don't think I'll have the problems that made me leave for a second; voice recognition is working, calls I've had have been fine and everything. I just couldn't stand iOS (email SUCKS on it), and with all the news of apps coming (showing support may be growing) it just feels like a great time to be back. As long as this phone stays this solid I'm here to stay again....

It just feels so good to be back where I belong. I still have huge doubts about Microsoft as a company, and whether they are truly serious about Windows Phone, but Windows Phone 8 is around 95-97% perfect for me right (with the flaws being some hardware annoyances, such as camera placement on the 920, and things missing like VPN, etc...), and I just can't see myself leaving again.....

Welcome back! Other than your comment about email (still think it's the worst thing on the dang phone) I agree with your assessments for the most part and I can't imagine going back to my old iPhone. Now go sit in the corner for 10 minutes and think about what you've done! :)

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Welcome back! It would be good to know what actually annoyed you and how long did it take before you decided you wanted to eat at home and not in that burger shop!

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

Welcome back! We missed you.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all. I'll have to keep you guys updated with how things are going. It's funny, because my friend/co-worker, who has an iPhone 5, was telling me how it's a bad move and that I should stick with the "premium product", the 4s. I told him "I guess I'll just have to enjoy how bad of a move it is while doing things a lot simpler on this phone, while also wirelessly charging it...." lol.

Welcome back! It would be good to know what actually annoyed you and how long did it take before you decided you wanted to eat at home and not in that burger shop!

There were a few things with iOS:

1. Just the stale, iOS experience in general being the biggest one. The way overly-glorified app launcher "home screen" and just the entire process of doing anything, period, just sucked compared to Windows Phone. Mind you, I had many iPod touches and iPhones as side devices, but I had never used one as my primary device. It was really an eye-opening experience to use iOS, and you really notice the simplicity/cleanliness of Windows Phone when using another platform.

2. I know others have said email isn't great on Windows Phone, but it's lightyears better to me. I have a huge banner that says I have 260 something emails unread on iOS; this is extremely frustrating, and I have to basically remember what the number is before a new email comes so that I won't just dismiss it as being a huge number of unread emails. In Windows Phone, its simple: nothing is new until you start using the phone and sign for the first time with that account; simple and clean.

3. I've always hated Apple as a company. Add this to the fact that I just hated being a "clone" by using the same device as everyone else, and "being cool", and I just couldn't stand it; it's cool to have a device that stands out and makes people take notice (especially having a red phone).

4. I HATED the notification center of iOS. I never really noticed how much notification centers are such a waste until I used iOS (along with Android for a second). Speaking as an iOS user, the notification center is cluttered, messy, and gave me a headache when looking at it; it got to the point to where I just wouldn't use it AT ALL because of how much it made my eyes hurt. I understand the want for a notification center, but me personally, I think Live tiles cover this just fine (for the most part).

Those are just a FEW things that made me want to go back. The date stamp of the text message received from the guy I traded my black 920 for the 4s was January 24th. That's the day I got the 4s, and "loved" how well Siri worked, voice calls worked, etc: basically, the problems I had with my lemon 920 had been solved. It only took a week before I wanted to go back, but I held off because I just didn't want to end up in the same situation I was in where I was worried about Microsoft's support and commitment to the platform (in addition to the hardware problems I had) and wanting to switch to another platform.

I still checked into the WPCentral everyday, and once the news started looking good (about 2 weeks ago up to now), I became about 90% ready to jump back. With games being released I was waiting for, along with natural voice assistant apps that basically solved my Siri-wanting needs, I only needed to test the functionality out in stores to see if the bugs I had encountered were only MY old unit, and to see the new apps. To be honest, the phones in the store didn't work well AT all, with voice dictation through TellMe STILL being poor. However, the more I used the phones in the store, the more I just wanted Windows Phone again until I couldn't take it anymore; even with the bugs, Microsoft's seemingly lazy approach to the platform, etc, I just said to myself "I'd rather be happy with this OS the way it is and accept it's shortcomings and look for workarounds".

To end this long story (lol), I bought the 920 last night (after the guy told me it was refurbished and new, giving me hope that I would finally find a device with good build since it had to pass AT&T Q&A) I decided to take the gamble. I bought it, set it up, fell in love again (especially because of this awesome build quality), and here we are today.....

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
It sounds like grass is always greener on the other side effect. Everyone missing notification etc probably are coming over from other OS where they are used to see stuff on their status bar and not used to the idea of live tiles. There are very tiny number of apps that have screwed up or no live tile. But for majority of the app, live tiles are charming with Windows Phone 8. Have a look at sticky in Windows Phone 8 forum for live tiles that will beautify your phone ;)

I am more than content with the idea of no notifications center as well as the emails on Windows Phone. I've never encountered any issue. The only thing I do really miss in the emails is being able to mark junk email as a junk email straight from the phone. Other than that, I have 3 corporate emails (outlook), hotmail, yahoo and gmails syncing at the same time. All updating as items arrive and I never had any issue with my emails.

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
So, long story short, I ended up going to a 4s because of all the bugs I had with my first black 920. People couldn't hear me on calls, build quality was terrible (creaked, bad light leakage, etc...), voice recognition didn't work, etc...So I was pleased when I bought a brand new, refurbished 920 last night off craigslist for 300. This is a red one, which extreme build quality, and feels excellent (especially the gloss, giving it some grip). Needless to say....it feels so good to be back home, and although it has only been a few hours of having it, just from the build quality alone, I don't think I'll have the problems that made me leave for a second; voice recognition is working, calls I've had have been fine and everything. I just couldn't stand iOS (email SUCKS on it), and with all the news of apps coming (showing support may be growing) it just feels like a great time to be back. As long as this phone stays this solid I'm here to stay again....It just feels so good to be back where I belong. I still have huge doubts about Microsoft as a company, and whether they are truly serious about Windows Phone, but Windows Phone 8 is around 95-97% perfect for me right (with the flaws being some hardware annoyances, such as camera placement on the 920, and things missing like VPN, etc...), and I just can't see myself leaving again.....
I am never going back to Android. And, assuming I buy into Xbox Music, I'll never switch to iPhone. WP8 is simple, clean and the keyboard is amazing. I love how I can type without worry. It just works.I have the yellow Lumia 920. :D

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I am never going back to Android. And, assuming I buy into Xbox Music, I'll never switch to iPhone. WP8 is simple, clean and the keyboard is amazing. I love how I can type without worry. It just works.I have the yellow Lumia 920. :D

THIS TOO....COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THIS; THE KEYBOARD IN IOS IS HORRIBLE COMPARED TO WINDOWS PHONE.....LIKE PERIOD, THE END.

I couldn't STAND the overly aggressive auto-correct of iOS. I didn't feel like tinkering with it and possibly messing up auto-correct when I DID need it, and the touch point accuracy is better on Windows Phone to me; I can nearly type messages without looking on Windows Phone, one or two-handed.....

astraith

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
THIS TOO....COMPLETELY FORGOT ABOUT THIS; THE KEYBOARD IN IOS IS HORRIBLE COMPARED TO WINDOWS PHONE.....LIKE PERIOD, THE END. I couldn't STAND the overly aggressive auto-correct of iOS. I didn't feel like tinkering with it and possibly messing up auto-correct when I DID need it, and the touch point accuracy is better on Windows Phone to me; I can nearly type messages without looking on Windows Phone, one or two-handed.....
Exactly. For the most part I can type without worry. I love how autocorrect actually works here. Lol

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Agree for the most part, except email and notification center. You cannot beat the functionality that stand alone email apps on iOS offers to the extremely barebones email client on WP8. The Gmail app especially on iOS was insanely feature rich.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Agree for the most part, except email and notification center. You cannot beat the functionality that stand alone email apps on iOS offers to the extremely barebones email client on WP8. The Gmail app especially on iOS was insanely feature rich.

Windows Phone isn't for power users. It does receiving and sending emails fine. I wish emails can be edited before forwarding.

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site

Welcome back my friend! I especially felt this connection when you said Windows Phone 8 is around 95-97% perfect for you. Same here brother.... I especially feel you on that one! For me it`s more the facebook chat integration not working for offline people to chat that well along with both the chat and app lacking a bit (like attaching images in messages... wth? why can`t we do this?), as well as some skype features missing (biggest one being you can`t change the camera when in the middle of a call to show what`s in front of you... basic feature). Other than these two, wow. Windows phone is the bestttttt! Quality app experiences, quality OS experiences, and you feel unique and creative with the live tiles set up and so on. I love it and it`s pretty cool having my brother own Android, my sister iOS and me Windows :p Nice ecosystem differentiation hahaha.

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
Welcome back! I returned last week after over a year away, so I know what you're experiencing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Kevin N Smith

Mar 12, 2013
Visit site
Welcome back! I had the same problem. I wanted to get a WP, but then the GS3 started attracting me, looked at it in store, it was laggy and the home was just boring icons. Then I went back to WP and really feel about 90% loving it. Lack of key apps kills the WP experience, tho.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
Thanks all. I'll have to keep you guys updated with how things are going. It's funny, because my friend/co-worker, who has an iPhone 5, was telling me how it's a bad move and that I should stick with the "premium product", the 4s. I told him "I guess I'll just have to enjoy how bad of a move it is while doing things a lot simpler on this phone, while also wirelessly charging it...." lol.

There were a few things with iOS:

1. Just the stale, iOS experience in general being the biggest one. The way overly-glorified app launcher "home screen" and just the entire process of doing anything, period, just sucked compared to Windows Phone. Mind you, I had many iPod touches and iPhones as side devices, but I had never used one as my primary device. It was really an eye-opening experience to use iOS, and you really notice the simplicity/cleanliness of Windows Phone when using another platform.

2. I know others have said email isn't great on Windows Phone, but it's lightyears better to me. I have a huge banner that says I have 260 something emails unread on iOS; this is extremely frustrating, and I have to basically remember what the number is before a new email comes so that I won't just dismiss it as being a huge number of unread emails. In Windows Phone, its simple: nothing is new until you start using the phone and sign for the first time with that account; simple and clean.

3. I've always hated Apple as a company. Add this to the fact that I just hated being a "clone" by using the same device as everyone else, and "being cool", and I just couldn't stand it; it's cool to have a device that stands out and makes people take notice (especially having a red phone).

4. I HATED the notification center of iOS. I never really noticed how much notification centers are such a waste until I used iOS (along with Android for a second). Speaking as an iOS user, the notification center is cluttered, messy, and gave me a headache when looking at it; it got to the point to where I just wouldn't use it AT ALL because of how much it made my eyes hurt. I understand the want for a notification center, but me personally, I think Live tiles cover this just fine (for the most part).

Those are just a FEW things that made me want to go back. The date stamp of the text message received from the guy I traded my black 920 for the 4s was January 24th. That's the day I got the 4s, and "loved" how well Siri worked, voice calls worked, etc: basically, the problems I had with my lemon 920 had been solved. It only took a week before I wanted to go back, but I held off because I just didn't want to end up in the same situation I was in where I was worried about Microsoft's support and commitment to the platform (in addition to the hardware problems I had) and wanting to switch to another platform.

I still checked into the WPCentral everyday, and once the news started looking good (about 2 weeks ago up to now), I became about 90% ready to jump back. With games being released I was waiting for, along with natural voice assistant apps that basically solved my Siri-wanting needs, I only needed to test the functionality out in stores to see if the bugs I had encountered were only MY old unit, and to see the new apps. To be honest, the phones in the store didn't work well AT all, with voice dictation through TellMe STILL being poor. However, the more I used the phones in the store, the more I just wanted Windows Phone again until I couldn't take it anymore; even with the bugs, Microsoft's seemingly lazy approach to the platform, etc, I just said to myself "I'd rather be happy with this OS the way it is and accept it's shortcomings and look for workarounds".

To end this long story (lol), I bought the 920 last night (after the guy told me it was refurbished and new, giving me hope that I would finally find a device with good build since it had to pass AT&T Q&A) I decided to take the gamble. I bought it, set it up, fell in love again (especially because of this awesome build quality), and here we are today.....

What about the keyboard and small screen? :)

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
Welcome back! I returned last week after over a year away, so I know what you're experiencing.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Welcome back my friend! I especially felt this connection when you said Windows Phone 8 is around 95-97% perfect for you. Same here brother.... I especially feel you on that one! For me it`s more the facebook chat integration not working for offline people to chat that well along with both the chat and app lacking a bit (like attaching images in messages... wth? why can`t we do this?), as well as some skype features missing (biggest one being you can`t change the camera when in the middle of a call to show what`s in front of you... basic feature). Other than these two, wow. Windows phone is the bestttttt! Quality app experiences, quality OS experiences, and you feel unique and creative with the live tiles set up and so on. I love it and it`s pretty cool having my brother own Android, my sister iOS and me Windows :p Nice ecosystem differentiation hahaha.

What about the keyboard and small screen? :)

TBH...I actually prefer the smaller screen of the 4s. The perfect screen size for me was my old 820, actually. The keyboard SUCKED compared to Windows Phone, in both the overly-aggressive auto correct and the touch point accuracy of when your fingers hit....

budney

Sep 6, 2006
Visit site
I hope to be coming home (WP) by this weekend, I too bought a iPhone (5), as my 820 had the issue were no one could here me talk. While people could hear me talk on the iPhone, the OS is just archaic. Needing an app to do anything, and having to dig into apps and settings to get info or anything done is driving me nuts. Having all your important stuff at you finger tips with WP makes it so much better (simple and easy). I am just glad I didn't unload the 820 on eBay, and sent it in to Nokia for repair. Here's to Nokia to quickly fix the issue or replacing my 820. I don't want to wait till the next batch of WP to be released to comeback. :)

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I hope to be coming home (WP) by this weekend, I too bought a iPhone (5), as my 820 had the issue were no one could here me talk. While people could hear me talk on the iPhone, the OS is just archaic. Needing an app to do anything, and having to dig into apps and settings to get info or anything done is driving me nuts. Having all your important stuff at you finger tips with WP makes it so much better (simple and easy). I am just glad I didn't unload the 820 on eBay, and sent it in to Nokia for repair. Here's to Nokia to quickly fix the issue or replacing my 820. I don't want to wait till the next batch of WP to be released to comeback. :)

😃

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site

I had two 820 devices that both suffered the "can't hear you issue", along with my old black, creaky, lemon 920 lol.

Exact same experience here. iOS is so hard to use, and people look at me when I tell them that it was way more time consuming to use compared to Windows Phone, since iOS is "all about simplicity". People simply harp out rehashed quotes about a product because they're too afraid (or simply too invested in their current OS) to step out and actually see what I mean by the simplicity, and rather dismiss me as me not knowing what I'm talking about (when I've tried Android, iOS, and Windows Phone). All of my friends say I have an inferior product, but if you notice, the people who make those claims still watch you like a hawk when you do something on Windows Phone, with their eyes glued to the screen while mumbling something it sucking lol.

For example, my friend from and I were comparing how we are notified on iOS vs Windows Phone. He showed me the pop-up alert that shows when an email comes in, or a tweet, or whatever. I then held my 920 up and just showed my start screen; it was priceless, because not only did my email live tile show an actual preview of the message, but it also showed way more data of other things at the exact same time (twitter news, missed calls details in wide tile, email wide tile, messaging wide tile, etc...). Or when I barcode scan something without an app. Or Bing music something. They stare, watch every move I make, and then say my product is inferior, even when I do faster than them lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb