Putting movies and video onto your Windows Phone 8 (WP8)

mattb#AC

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I've been searching and searching for a how-to on putting my digitized DVDs, and TiVo recordings onto my new HTC 8x Windows Phone 8 (WP8). I have finally figured it out!
To move digitized DVDs to your phone:
  1. Use a ripper like WinXDVD to digitize your DVD as a "TITLE ONLY" DVD copy
  2. Convert the DVD copy, typically a .mpg file, to a valid .mp4 with a media converter such as Roxio Toast 10 (select the "XBOX 360" output type)
  3. Open iTunes and add the video file to the iTunes library. It may not show up in the iTunes application or it may appear in "TV Shows" so look around.
  4. Open the Windows Phone 8 sync application > click on the 'Movies & TV Shows' > make sure your video is checked and voila, you're done!

To move TiVo recordings to your phone:
Roxio Toast 10 has a Tivo downloader app within it's platinum package. I just download the .TIVO file and the convert it to XBOX360 format. Then add this file to iTunes library (it will appear under the TV Shows tab). Sync the phone and it will be available.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I'll give this a shot. I bought a movie and downloaded the "mobile" version (mp4) and it won't transfer to my WP. Thanks for the heads up.

Squatting Hen

Apr 15, 2012
Visit site
In reply to digital copies - I do wish that if you selected the WMP version you could then put that on a WP. Sucks a little. I would like to skip the long way. I just always chose itunes since I can't do anything with it on my WP.

AliNSiddiqui

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I've been searching and searching for a how-to on putting my digitized DVDs, and TiVo recordings onto my new HTC 8x Windows Phone 8 (WP8). I have finally figured it out!To move digitized DVDs to your phone:
  1. Use a ripper like WinXDVD to digitize your DVD as a "TITLE ONLY" DVD copy
  2. Convert the DVD copy, typically a .mpg file, to a valid .mp4 with a media converter such as Roxio Toast 10 (select the "XBOX 360" output type)
  3. Open iTunes and add the video file to the iTunes library. It may not show up in the iTunes application or it may appear in "TV Shows" so look around.
  4. Open the Windows Phone 8 sync application > click on the 'Movies & TV Shows' > make sure your video is checked and voila, you're done!
To move TiVo recordings to your phone:Roxio Toast 10 has a Tivo downloader app within it's platinum package. I just download the .TIVO file and the convert it to XBOX360 format. Then add this file to iTunes library (it will appear under the TV Shows tab). Sync the phone and it will be available.
Can't you just simply copy the mp4 via mass storage without using iTunes?

mattb#AC

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
The issue lies in finding the right video conversion. Evidently, even videos purchased on Zune's marketplace won't work on the phone. If you get the files converted properly, I don't see why it would matter if you used the sync application or drag and drop.

Hackalot

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
The best by far ripper I have used is AppGeeker DVD Ripper. Most DVD's I've been able to rip to my hard disk with this software. The program has options to convert videos for various of media devices including Windows Phones.
i.e. Rip DVD to MP4
It can rip DVD in direct stream mode ( as long as you snip between key frames) without any re compression.

dorelse

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I use DVD Catalyst 4, rip the DVD using their built in profiles (including Windows Phone 8 phones) and just move them on to a storage card.

Its a 1 click & done process and I've been really happy with it.

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I put everything in a form Windows Move Maker can use and convert. It has a template for Windows Phone.
Ripped movies, home video and recorded TV

ratsttam

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
I just used Handbrake (under ubuntu, I could never get the video quality to look right under the windows version of it) and ripped the files with the default settings. They came out as .m4v, roughly 1gb per movie, and transferred and played without issue. Even remembered my place when I had to stop and went back to the video.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium