How to set up phone for my tween daughter?

jocal69

Mar 18, 2013
Visit site
My 13 year old daughter is getting a phone and since a smart phone cost no more than a feature phone on ATT family plan, I will be getting her a Windows phone (probably the Nokia 820). I currently have a Nokia 920. I want to set up the phone in the safest way. She currently is using my old Win 7.5 phone setup with my account so we can share apps. Is there a way to set up the windows 8 phone so she doesn't get any of my settings, but will be able to access the apps I buy? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

jocal

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
This is something I wanted as well. It is the number one reason why I wanted shared apps. iOS lets it happen, and I really hope Windows Phone lets it happen as well. Currently you can't share apps without the main account being the account you signed up with.
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express Pro

NickG92

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Take the Microsoft account you use and put it in your daughters phone, then go in to settings and say that it shouldnt take the contacts from yours account and then register your daughters account where it can take the contacts.
Then it will use the apps from your account and the contacts, mail and everything will be her own.

Rich Edmonds

PC Editor
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
I'll not dive into this as I view such actions as borderline piracy (c'mon, developers pour time and effort into their work - yes, it's a family member but really?), but which settings are you referring to? If it's contacts, etc. you can disable them via "email + accounts" from the settings menu (as NickG92 points out above). But note that she (or someone using her Windows Phone) will be able to activate them once again at any time.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'll not dive into this as I view such actions as borderline piracy (c'mon, developers pour time and effort into their work - yes, it's a family member but really?), but which settings are you referring to? If it's contacts, etc. you can disable them via "email + accounts" from the settings menu (as NickG92 points out above). But note that she (or someone using her Windows Phone) will be able to activate them once again at any time.

The Microsoft Developer T&C state this is allowed. You as a developer accept Microsoft's terms of developing apps (note I can't instantly see the WP license, but it is similar):

If you provide your own license agreement, your license must, at a minimum, (a) permit the customer to download and run the app on up to five Windows 8 enabled devices that are associated with that customer?s Microsoft account, without payment of any additional fees to you...

App Developer Agreement (Windows)

Personally I think it is reasonable that a family should buy a game once rather than 5 times over, either because people replace phones or to share.

And this is one of the best features on the iPhone. If WP didn't do this the cost of running a WP would be much higher and would make switchers mad. You do want people to buy phones that run your apps don't you?

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
The Microsoft Developer T&C state this is allowed. You as a developer accept Microsoft's terms of developing apps (note I can't instantly see the WP license, but it is similar):

App Developer Agreement (Windows)

Personally I think it is reasonable that a family should buy a game once rather than 5 times over, either because people replace phones or to share.

And this is one of the best features on the iPhone. If WP didn't do this the cost of running a WP would be much higher and would make switchers mad. You do want people to buy phones that run your apps don't you?

You said that more politely than I would have. Thanks for responding and keeping me from getting another warning:)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadDaniel