IMHO the Qualcomm S4 is bad.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
So today's update for Asphalt 7 just proved my (and other peoples’) sentiments correct; these high end games really do need optimization for the devices they run on. This games smooth now after the reduction of game size, and that reduction of size came from the game being optimized to not only run on lower(and higher) end devices, but to run at a steady frame rate by taking what was ported and lowering the graphics. Today makes me a happy camper indeed, as it shows the next games will be optimized to run smooth, and Gameloft actually cares about turnout of their work for Windows Phone.

Support and respect for this platform has finally arrived...

aaa6112

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
So today's update for Asphalt 7 just proved my (and other peoples?) sentiments correct; these high end games really do need optimization for the devices they run on. This games smooth now after the reduction of game size, and that reduction of size came from the game being optimized to not only run on lower(and higher) end devices, but to run at a steady frame rate by taking what was ported and lowering the graphics. Today makes me a happy camper indeed, as it shows the next games will be optimized to run smooth, and Gameloft actually cares about turnout of their work for Windows Phone.

This

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
The MSM8960Plus with the Adreno 225, was the most successful Smartphone SOC hardware for 2012! With more than 100 million sold worldwide!

2013 most successful SOC hardware will be MSM8974 with the Adreno 330, WP9 "Blue" will use this with 2GB of RAM!

ATIV S2
Lumia 940
Surface Phone

WP8 MSM8960 move to New next generation WP9 MSM8974 is 4x the hardware performance!

Adreno 225 to Adreno 330
Dual-Core to Quad-Core
1.5GHz to 2.5GHz

😎

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
This games smooth now after the reduction of game size, and that reduction of size came from the game being optimized to not only run on lower(and higher) end devices, but to run at a steady frame rate by taking what was ported and lowering the graphics.

eh? so they actually lowered the graphics? I thought they just do normal optimizations. if they lowered the graphics then it's not really optimizing since they're simply trading quality for performance. optimizing = not making any perceivable difference in image quality while increasing performance.

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
eh? so they actually lowered the graphics? I thought they just do normal optimizations. if they lowered the graphics then it's not really optimizing since they're simply trading quality for performance. optimizing = not making any perceivable difference in image quality while increasing performance.

They didn't really lower the graphics to the point of the game not looking good, or being any less fun to play. To be honest, the only difference I've noticed is that there is less detail from the light reflection on the cars and road. They've done tho before with NOVA 3 on other platforms; if you notice on some video reviews, some versions of the game have the guns with much more detailed light reflection/shading detail, while on other versions have less light reflection and shading. That light reflection and detail takes more memory and GPU power to render, so recognizing that a GPU can't handle rendering all that (especially on Lumia 920 high res, large screens) is definitely optimization, because they did increase performance to 30 fps...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
In this thread, all of us are using the word 'optimization' to refer to entirely different things:

jrda:
Disable specific shaders and lower media complexity to the point where the game runs well on the Adreno 225. I would call this customization, but I see how one might call it optimization too. The idea is to change WHAT is rendered to the screen, not HOW.

ChMar:
Redesign key data structures and reengineer key algorithms so they are as closely aligned to the strengths of a specific GPU (in this case the Adreno 225) as possible. The idea is to not noticeably change WHAT is rendered on screen, only HOW. This is the classical definition of optimization, but such practices are increasingly rare.

me:
Optimally distribute the game's computational load across all processing units (CPU cores, GPU cores, etc). No single unit should be waiting on any other for any relevant amount of time. Every part of the GPU pipeline should be running close to its point of saturation. The idea is to make the most of all the hardware resources at the games disposal. However, this is only possible with a known hardware configuration that can be used as a baseline for development, as with consoles. It requires that a game is designed with that one specific hardware configuration in mind.

It is hard to make sense of a discussion, where the same word is used for different things.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss