WP8 phone as a Business Phone?

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

been searching on the net for a few days but still cant get the info i need.

At the moment not all WP8 EAS policies work and this is not acceptable from a business perspective.

Are there any third party software/companies that can secure the WP8 devices down better? As a companywe do not mind paying.

Please do let me know?

thanks

ousooner314

May 6, 2011
Visit site

Funky Cricket

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The problem with that work around is not all companies will change their EAS policies for one user. AND that Microsoft can't even implement their own exchange policies is a joke.

avsef

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Odd. We use exchange and my CIO recommended a WP to me. Uses one himself. Works fine with exchange. All data on the phone is encrypted, and locking is forced.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
They don't have to change policies for all users, just make a new policy that applies to all Windows Phones that ignores that SD encryption policy. (I assume that is the one that causes issues.) Technically they are following their policies because WP8 can not encrypt the SD card, so it fails to sync.

Of course the fact they apply that policy to devices that do not have a card is a bug... a pretty big bug that, along with the not playing WAV files, still totally floors me how they missed that in testing.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Changing policies aren't and issue for him. He is stating "we as a company" so I think since this is a company decision that they are willing to do what needs to be done.

misterRafter

Mar 28, 2012
Visit site
I work for a major finance company and it's essential for the device to be secure before we start rolling it out.

Only a few of the EAS policies work ie pin, email sync etc. But policies like enabling/disabling IE, WIFI and many others do not work which is not good for us. Unfortunately at the moment we cannot secure the device like the way we as a company want.

Maybe theres a third party app or company that does having something in place for WP8 for us to buy to secure the WP8 phones before releasing them to employees.

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
Subscribe to Windows Intune, awesome for managing not just Windows Phone 8 but also Windows RT and iPhones (Androids managed indirectly through Exchange). You subscribe per user for $6 per month but get to manage up-to 5 devices for that user. So could be desktop, tablet, phone etc. Its more than just device management as you can deploy patches, updates, software, health monitoring and malware protection based on the Forefront engine.

explosive0

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
A lot of small business can't afford to have server 2012 and all windows 8 machines for client VPN. not sure why you need VPN on a phone anyway, personally, you can't browse shares, everything remote should be on https already anyway.
Except some businesses build custom applications for mobile platforms and require VPN for connectivity. Dealing with this right now, and Windows Phone 8 is not an option for this particular reason. Exact situation with the Surface RT too and SSL VPN, but that's a different story altogether.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786