A Question about WP8 And WP7 users in general

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Every community/platform has tech/geeky people and also normal people who don't even care about software version they run (an average consumer).

Last year , I recommended my uncle to get a Lumia 710 when he asked me which phone to get and he is extremely satisfied with it (its been almost 9 months).He even said that he has no interest in 7.8 update when I informed him about 7.8 update.Ofc by now , You would understand that he is an average consumer (but not geeky or tech savvy).

WP users are very rare here in my country , but ever since Nokia stepped up , I have been able to see some WP devices.Some of them are Nokia fans and they wanted to try WP , so they got it.When I see Android or iOS users , MOST of them got their devices because their friends of family had Android/iOS but not because of Interest in the platform.

So my question is , Did You come to WP8 platform with interest or Due to Nokia/Hardware/other reasons ?
"Average People (Non-Geeky) around you" who use WP8 , How did they buy WP8 , Is it Interest or just for "wow" factor ?

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I have been interested in Windows Phone since I first saw the redesign of WP7. I would have switched then if I had not known it was based on Windows CE and that the next Windows Phone would be based off of the NT kernel. Knowing that I waited. After WP8 was announced I switched as soon as I had a upgrade on my account. I grabbed what I thought was the best WP8 device available on AT&T and that was the Nokia Lumia 920. I really liked the design of the HTC 8x but it was only available in 16gb.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I was a Nokia Symbian user who later switched to BlackBerry. I got tired of waiting for new BB10 which still hasn't been released in US (due in a couple days).

I saw the Nokia Lumia 900 at CES in January 2012 and picked it up on release date in April 2012. I didn't care that it didn't get updated past 7.8.

Right now I'll be eligible for an upgrade on contract to the successor of the 920.

I am geeky, but I prefer running desktop Linux to satisfy my inner geek, rather than rooting Androids/running custom ROMs.

nessinhaw

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
both XD
i wasnt only interested in WP...Nokia with their beautiful pieces of hardware kinda dragged me XD

as soon as i saw the 1st Lumia 620 announcement back in december, i knew it was gonna be my next smartphone! and i always loved Metro UI! it so simple, clean and minimalist *-*
so well, it was perfect for me! my transition Android-WP went smooth and i quickly learned how to use WP and i simply love it...i don't even miss Android :3

edit: i'm kinda geeky...i had my Android (ICS) phone rooted, to get rid of bloatware (and some other tweaks)...i never used custom ROMS but i did use many launchers, trying to find the closest experience possible to stock Android...honestly? i don't miss any of it now that i own a WP device...and why?
1st - it doesent has bloatware! at least i don't consider any Nokia software to be bloatware, since they are all pretty awesome and the ones i didn't want i could easily uninstall...therefore, no need of rooting and using 3rd party file browsers to get rid of sh**ty stuff
2nd - MS doesen't allow system/UI modifications. period. that delivers a consistent, smooth experience w/o the need of downloading 3rd party launchers or using custom ROMs in case you're not satisfied/doesen't like the modifications the OEM made to your device...if you like Metro UI, you can expect the best experience ever, w/o worrying about tweaking/changing it completely!

Last edited:

casab1anca

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I was a feature-phone user until I got a Lumia 920, and I have to say WP is the reason I got a smartphone. None of the other platforms ever appealed to me.

LazySunday

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
For me it was the loyalty I have for Nokia... Two things I'm really a fan for... Nokia for their phones and American Eagle for their jeans :) My first phone was a Moto, it had a pathetic battery. I was introduced to Nokia 3310 by a friend and loved it. Every feature of it. Then it was 6610, which I used for 4 years... so on so forth. Somehow, I'm really drawn by Nokia for many reason, primary being their build quality and customer support. Over the years it left an indelible impression on me. However, I'm with Nokia on their change to WP8 which has its share of shortcomings. I'm not a person who would have rooted for Symbian. Yes, it does have its advantages as an OS, but it was really really outdated. I'm really enjoying the path Nokia is going on to build the third ecosystem :) Especially, the kind of support we are getting from Nokia which goes way beyond MS's commitment.

Long live Nokia :)

anon(5816156)

Mar 21, 2013
Visit site
Here, you will only see 25 people use WP.
I saw a WP when I was 14, I remember very well that it was the Lumia 800 - on TV. At that time, I thought it was just a Symbian phone that got redesign and I know NOTHING at that time. I begun to interested on mobile phones at the start of 2012.
When I had a Nokia 500, my dad told me if I wanted to switch to another phone. Was too happy and I was confused to choose between the Lumia 800 and the Nokia N9. Finally, choose the N9 only because it had more features (Was naive indeed).

But then, after a month without the N9 (Broke it, didn't know how to flash it before this January), I finally got a taste of WP on the Lumia 710. Was extremely happy and it was so snappy, fast and smooth. Fell in love with the phone (Even though it had "basic" design) and just a couple of months ago, I finally fixed my N9. I was thinking of switching again but changed my mind because after the WP, the N9 felt so slow, sluggish, even with FasterN9.

Currently, I am happy with my Lumia 620 and well, my friend just switch to Lumia 920 (Boy, he's lucky!)

great_smell_of_brut

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
I got a WP7 coz I'd been impressed by them when I'd tried a few out in store at launch but wasn't due an upgrade at the time. Ended up buying an E900 off contract when I couldn't bear waiting any longer.

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I used to love my Nokia phones but moved to iPhone as it was clearly the best for years. However now that is stagnant and Windows phones are showing innovation like OIS I decided to try a Lumia.

For me it's a matter of having the best phone and I was willing to give the Nokia a try because on paper the features sounded good and reviews were positive. Of course Android phones always have the highest spec on paper but every one I've ever played with has always felt clunky compared to the iPhone. Scrolling never perfectly smooth etc. Windows Phone on the other hand feels smooth. So far enjoying the general experience but think Nokia have some quality issues and need to up the game a little. OS is great and looking forward to seeing new features added.

DJRedLine

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I used to use an Omnia running windows mobile but then moved to a Nokia N900 with Maemo. But ever since WP7 was released i have been here and upgrade to WP8 on release day.
I have never had any interest in the IPhone as just did not fit with what i wanted, so if WP7/8 wasn't around i would now be using Android (and probably hating every minute of it)

Jaskys

Banned
Jan 23, 2013
Visit site
WP users are very rare here in my country , but ever since Nokia stepped up , I have been able to see some WP devices.Some of them are Nokia fans and they wanted to try WP , so they got it.When I see Android or iOS users , MOST of them got their devices because their friends of family had Android/iOS but not because of Interest in the platform.

So my question is , Did You come to WP8 platform with interest or Due to Nokia/Hardware/other reasons ?
"Average People (Non-Geeky) around you" who use WP8 , How did they buy WP8 , Is it Interest or just for "wow" factor ?

Complete truth in your statement.
I came to WP8 cause i use Microsoft products and wanted something new and unique, not iOS or Copydroid.

rhodri22

Jun 16, 2012
Visit site
I got my WP7 because I was in the Microsoft ecosystem with WinMo and Xbox.

My friends are getting both WP7 and WP8 devices now because the WP7 devices are dirt cheap here in the UK, and because they recognise the Nokia name. Friends are also getting WP8 devices from HTC and Nokia because they loved my WP when they tried it, and I recommended they pick up the new devices.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Having investment interests in both Nokia and Microsoft I wanted to see what exactly I was investing in. My first WP7 device was a Sammy Focus. There were no Nokia models available yet. I skipped the 900 model as I knew WP8 was not far off and there would be a newer device available. Overall I'm happy with my investments in the company's and my phone.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
I've been in the MS ecosystem since 2004 when I got my HP ipaq h1910 which I eventually upgraded to a Dell axim X51V in 2005 and I kept that all the way until I got my first smartphone in 2009 which was the HTC Touch pro. The rest can be seen in my phone history sig, it was just natural for me to go to the next version of the same OS.

Ian Berg

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
I was a Nokia fan in the mid-2000s but tried out BlackBerry 2009-12. When it was time to replace the handset, I was offered a good deal for a Lumia 710. I knew it would be a solid phone hardware-wise because it was made by Nokia so I switched back. I had no prior experience with WP but I like it. Unfortunately on the software side, it looks like Android leads the way in innovation.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
The first WP that caught my eye was the Lumia 800. Frankly its a combination of hardware and software. Prior to that I wasn't all that interested in WP at all. Its still a phone that I love. I like it so much I had it in Cyan, Black, and White. lol.

Now I'm waiting till June when my mom's contract is up, and perhaps get her a Lumia 720.

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I WAS a big Android ****** back then, but the real reason why I moved to the WP platform was the fact that most of my family either have iPhones or Galaxy S2 & S3's. I was well aware of WP7 ever since its debut and loved its user interface, but I never really found any drive to buy one of the devices available. Later on, I found out about Nokia's involvement with Microsoft and their upcoming devices and bought one at release day. (I had a Lumia 800 shipped from the UK, but it broke after about 3 months and got a Lumia 710 as a replacement)

In short, I joined the WP community because of interest.

WavingReds

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
I had great interest in an iPhone when it first came out then I got my iPhone 4 but when I saw WP7's commercials I was instantly drawn into the OS but I couldn't switch cause I had already signed a new contract.

After spending so much time tweaking, changing iOS UI so that it would move or do different things I got bored and when the L900 Cyan came out, I jumped the ship even though I knew that it wouldn't get WP8 or have all the iOS apps, I still did it because I love the design, the beauty and elegant that Nokia devices had not only that but it was coloured =).

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I myself tried out Win Phone 8 and the Lumia 822 because it was time for my Verizon upgrade and I went to a store to play with a couple of phones I was considering. Coming from Android I was interested in a couple of Verizon's offerings. I went to play with a Win phone expecting to go "ughh, this sucks", but had the exact opposite reaction. I really liked it. And as an ex Blackberry user the Lumia suits my type of usage as well. I use my phone to text, email, talk and do some light web browsing. These are all things the platform seems to do well. Using Outlook.com for mail completely blows Gmail out of the water. It's performance is much better and the phone's Outlook client is way better than the Gmail client in Android. I'm not an "apps" guy so the lack of a lot of apps wasn't a major concern for me. I have no beef with Android at all and could have been happy with another Android phone but just liked the Lumia and Win phone enough to try it. So far, no regrets.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss