Huge Amazon device sale! Shop all the discounts now

03-25-2013 07:18 PM
35 12
tools
    Is there one key feature, however obvious or ordinary, that you discovered with Windows Phone that you will miss if you were to swap OS?

For me it only needed 2 minutes of using my old HTC Sensation XL this morning (don't ask!). I had to use Shazam on it to tag a song and in that 2 minutes of swiping to second home screen, opening Shazam (and waiting), tagging and getting results - I realized, if my WP is taken away from me I would miss my Bing Music Search, A LOT!

What is your favourite bit that you are so used to now on WP, that you will pine for it like Romeo for his Juliet?

Edit:

So far these seems to be popular features:

1) People Hub
    2) Live tiles
    3) Calendar
    4) Office Hub
    5) Bing Music Search
    6) Bing Vision Search
    7) Dedicated Camera button
    8) Pinning stuff!
    Last edited by rockstarzzz; 03-25-2013 at 07:03 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-24-2013 09:21 AM
    I can't come up with one, but a few.
    1. Simplicity of the OS
    2. Live tiles
    3. Swipe to the right, all your apps are there. I don't have to swipe to different pages to get see what apps I have, instead it is an sorted alphabetically on one very long page.
    Sent from my Nokia Lumia 920 using Board Express
    Laura Knotek and Bartdog like this.
    03-24-2013 09:31 AM
    "Everything"
    Laura Knotek and ozahran like this.
    03-24-2013 09:31 AM
    Sorry, couldn't come up with just one:

1. A working, functional calendar that integrates with my companies' Exchange environment without breaking it.
    2. Nokia Drive!
    3. Office Hub
    Laura Knotek and Bartdog like this.
    03-24-2013 09:42 AM
    Sorry, couldn't come up with just one:

1. A working, functional calendar that integrates with my companies' Exchange environment without breaking it.
    2. Nokia Drive!
    3. Office Hub
    That calendar is the first I've heard!

Most users aren't really happy with the calendar but probably because of how it looks rather than functions
    03-24-2013 09:44 AM
    Only contrasting with iOS, haven't used Android enough to comment on it. I have my fair share of gripes with the Lumia 920, so maybe this post can serve as a 'note to self' why I'm not going to leave WP8. And I know you asked 'the most', but I can't choose.

- Pinning a word doc from SkyDrive to my home screen, and Word kindly asking me if I want to download the updated version.
    - Buying a book through the Kindle app
    - Pinning a sticky note to my home screen with 'Note tiles' app
    - Never having to worry about my home button breaking (on Lumia 920 at least)
    - Single tap access to multitasking screen (as opposed to double mechanical click - can you tell I didn't like the iPhone home button?)
    - Swishing around the home screen. It feels nice and 'free' to zoom along all your apps, as opposed to screen.. after screen .. after screen ..
    - Single-contact live tiles. It's great to know when there's a message from my gf.
    - Free offline maps. Just great when on travel.
    - Next appointment on the lock screen. It still seems crazy to me that iOS only does 'reminders', but not 'next thing on calendar'
    - Apps that can modify the lock screen (big fan of Weather Wallpaper)
    - One tap access to connections settings (although one-tap toggle would be better) using Connection Tiles app
    - Live tile that shows the actual temperature. How in the world doesn't iOS do that yet?
    - Pinning google voice contacts to the home screen with MetroTalk for those regular international calls. Awesome.
    - Pinning separate mail accounts to the home screen. iOS doesn't do that either right, or did I just forget?
    - Having a nice slide show of my photo albums on the home screen. Looks so 'alive'.
    - Pinning the current rain / radar map to my home screen using 'Weather Radar Tile' app
    - drag and drop music between phone and ANY pc. Side note: no more iTunes.

Yep, this list will definitely keep me in WP8 during times of temptation.
    Haha! So should we just say you will miss "Pinning" stuff? :P jk!
    03-24-2013 10:32 AM
    I'd miss the messaging hub and contacts. It's just so simple to find what you want.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-24-2013 10:40 AM
    1) Nokia Applications (Drive, Music, City Lens etc)
    2) Bing Music Search
    3) Live tiles
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-24-2013 10:48 AM
    There's no one feature I wouldn't be able to replicate on another OS for my needs. What I'd miss is the aesthetics of WP8 - it's the first mobile OS that I actually enjoy using, rather than a means to an end for launching apps. I'd miss the camera in the 920.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-24-2013 10:55 AM
    You know what, pretty much! It's great to be able to get stuff that's important all in one place. Huge difference with iOS, where you're constantly hopping in and out of apps.

Forgot to mention my love for the camera:
    - low light camera
    - OIS
    - wake phone with camera button
    Camera would just 920 specific thing though right? Pinning definitely is one of the things, I am getting a habit for. When this morning I was going through pages on my HTC Sensation XL, I actually was ending up trying to imagine "how this or that would look if I could just pin it to start"
    03-24-2013 12:52 PM
    Camera would just 920 specific thing though right?
    Oops, yes, apart from the 'wake with camera button' which I think is a WP8 feature, right? I do use that a ton. iOS was pretty good with that as well, allowing you to swipe up from the lock screen to get to the camera without needing a password. As I have my Lumia plugged into my speakers here at work I realize that 'free Pandora for 2013' is also a pretty nice (temporary) feature.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    03-24-2013 01:15 PM
    What Joe920 said! lol... I just came back to my 820 from a iPhone 5.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    03-24-2013 01:25 PM
    I left Windows Phone many months ago and there's a lot of things that I miss.

1- A good email application. So far nothing on Android is as good.
    2- People Hub. (Contacts is a mess )
    3- Groups
    4- Bing Vision/Music.

Those are the only one I remember.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    03-24-2013 02:15 PM
    Xbox LIVE gaming integration would be at the top. After that, the tile-based UI.
    rockstarzzz likes this.
    03-24-2013 02:39 PM
    I left Windows Phone many months ago and there's a lot of things that I miss.

1- A good email application. So far nothing on Android is as good.
    2- People Hub. (Contacts is a mess )
    3- Groups
    4- Bing Vision/Music.

Those are the only one I remember.
    Oh! Good old Winterfang! Dude, there are people who do miss you from time to time ;)

But a good list nonetheless :)
    03-24-2013 05:20 PM
    I would miss Office the most that was the main attraction for me to get a WP8 device (Nokia Lumia 920 in Red ).

Others after this would be onenote, live tiles, people, me and I'm now very addictive to Xbox to get achievement and to purchase xbox game to unlock achievement and boost my gamer score (Brought the dark knight rises a few days ago and love it as well as amaze's me with open world games on a phone :amazed: )
    abel920 likes this.
    03-24-2013 05:30 PM
    I would miss Office the most that was the main attraction for me to get a WP8 device (Nokia Lumia 920 in Red ).

Others after this would be onenote, live tiles, people, me and I'm now very addictive to Xbox to get achievement and to purchase xbox game to unlock achievement and boost my gamer score (Brought the dark knight rises a few days ago and love it as well as amaze's me with open world games on a phone :amazed: )
    You have no idea how many midterm essays I've finished on my 920, thanks to Office-Drive integration!
    rockstarzzz and BIGPADDY like this.
    03-24-2013 05:38 PM
    1. People's Hub *** can't live without this
    2. Live Tiles
    3. App List
    4. Email/Facebook integration

5. Nokia Drive+ (not really WP but Nokia = WP )
    03-24-2013 06:29 PM
    For me it's the People Hub and the Live Tiles.
    03-25-2013 12:46 PM
    Though its technically not a 'feature', what I'd miss most is the "hey, what phone is that? Windows? Wow those tiles sure look pretty!"
    I get from people from work. Almost everyone around me has an iPhone or a GS3; and my 820 is a refreshing breath of fresh air.
    03-25-2013 12:58 PM
    It looks like People Hub is one of the popular ones, heck even Winterfang misses it! ;)
    03-25-2013 01:21 PM
    Truly - if you want a smooth OS and variety in hardware with good technology and a lot of base apps baked right in go for WP8. But if we are all being honest - if you want apps - go with the iPhone. IPhone obviously has ALL of the big apps (even wordament, Skype and photosynth), but look at the convenience ones, like for Disney, your local TV station, CNBC, any magazine you pick up - they all have an iPhone app - none carry WP8 apps.
    I'm a proud owner of a 920, had my wife get a HD7 when it came out years ago, finally gonna get her an iPhone because of the continued lack if app support. She needs some basic ines for her job and wants the new Disney fastpass app.
    I plan to stick with Nokia and cherish what i like best (Office, baked in functions and functionality of home screen) and I'll keep saying - maybe next year we can have all of the mainstream apps
    03-25-2013 01:35 PM
    Truly - if you want a smooth OS and variety in hardware with good technology and a lot of base apps baked right in go for WP8. But if we are all being honest - if you want apps - go with the iPhone. IPhone obviously has ALL of the big apps (even wordament, Skype and photosynth), but look at the convenience ones, like for Disney, your local TV station, CNBC, any magazine you pick up - they all have an iPhone app - none carry WP8 apps.
    I'm a proud owner of a 920, had my wife get a HD7 when it came out years ago, finally gonna get her an iPhone because of the continued lack if app support. She needs some basic ines for her job and wants the new Disney fastpass app.
    I plan to stick with Nokia and cherish what i like best (Office, baked in functions and functionality of home screen) and I'll keep saying - maybe next year we can have all of the mainstream apps
    So what feature will you miss the most? I think I missed it in that post talking about apps and stuff :P
    03-25-2013 02:04 PM
    Live tiles. I'm constantly looking at them for new messages and weather. After that I think it would be facebook integration since its easy to just click on the Me hub and do a check in or People hub to view facebook updates.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-25-2013 02:04 PM
    So what feature will you miss the most? I think I missed it in that post talking about apps and stuff :P
    live tiles - love them, as I saw someone else post - always looking at them. Office - in particular exchange, finally the baked in functions of the OS (things others need apps for).
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    03-25-2013 02:31 PM
35 12