moving Stuff from my wp7 to wp8 phone

DeanBlakely

May 26, 2011
Visit site
The windows phone help center doesn't seem to have the answers necessary for this very common task...
I got a wp8 phone and now I want to transfer all my stuff from the wp7 phone to the wp8 phone. (apps, music, contacts, sms history, etc.)

Is there any info, in a central place, that covers this?
Thanks, Dean

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
Your contacts and most of your apps should reinstall automatically. You may have to go through your purchase history to pickup the rest. If uploaded to SkyDrive your pictures will be available. I don't know about SMS history. I think Nokia has an app to do that. Same with music.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Your contacts and most of your apps should reinstall automatically. You may have to go through your purchase history to pickup the rest. If uploaded to SkyDrive your pictures will be available. I don't know about SMS history. I think Nokia has an app to do that. Same with music.

I think only contacts, emails and SkyDrive uploads are restored. Upload all media and office docs to SkyDrive. SMS - no. Game saves - no. Apps - no, but can be added manually from windowsphone.com

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Your sms history is lost forever. Thank Microsoft for that.
If your wp8 is a nokia, you could use "Transfer my Data" which eventually will transfer only the received messages (no way to extract the sent messages from wp7).

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
All I can see is apps & games. Am I missing something here?

:confused:

Another way.
#1 go to Outlook.com
#2 tap on your profile pic and go to account settings
#3 click on "Billing"

It might ask for a code using a secondary account before entry. Afterwards, it will show you all of your purchases.

If it shows the same thing, only apps and games, maybe you're using the wrong acct. Last resort, go to Xbox.com and search for support chat. They will resolve it.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the response. I've had tried everything in previous attempts before, but I am certain that there is no way to re-download mp3s via your purchase history... on Xbox Music, anyway...

Xbox have reimburse me 1600 points as a way of recognising my current frustration with the current Wp8 sync set up.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, thanks for the response. I've had tried everything in previous attempts before, but I am certain that there is no way to re-download mp3s via your purchase history... on Xbox Music, anyway...

Xbox have reimburse me 1600 points as a way of recognising my current frustration with the current Wp8 sync set up.

Sorry to hear, also if you have connect to xXboxmusic on it shows your ppurchasesvia cloud, that aslowsyou to download again.

I did have that problem to some months ago and was reimbursed for the same thing, but they straightened it out somehow. So I got free points.

Big Supes

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Sorry to hear, also if you have connect to xXboxmusic on it shows your ppurchasesvia cloud, that aslowsyou to download again.

Assuming you have downloaded tracks via the Windows 8 app, you can certainly download them again (as they have been automatically uploaded to cloud). My problem occurred as I mainly purchase music via my phone and without the wireless sync we had with Zune, I often forget to plug my phone in for routine syncs.

Why a duplicate mp3 isn't automatically stored onto the cloud (at Xbox Music's end), I honestly don't know. I guess that kind of logic doesn't suit the current mess that is Xbox Music, Windows Phone 8 and Windows 8 sync app when it comes to media...

I did have that problem to some months ago and was reimbursed for the same thing, but they straightened it out somehow. So I got free points.

I wonder how many point MS have dished out since Wp8... ??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon