How to deal with text extending beyond the screen

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I tried searching just now, but the search function would return an error saying it can't connect to something or other, so I have to just ask this. If already posted 100 times, please just direct me to a thread.

Anyway, I "get" that the metro style extends the text off the screen, so that you can side scroll to get to the next screen...

But, some pages, settings, or even written text doesn't side scroll, and the information is just cut off. For example, if I open up "background tasks" in settings, the word "tasks" is cut off.
Perhaps I need someone to just explain to me this "feature", but isn't it kinda of stupid to just cut off text and not have the option to see the entire word?

Can anyone shed some light on this, or is this just one of those "features" that you deal with and quit complaining about (i'm prepared to be told that).

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This as such has been discussed since WP7 days. The most common suggestion you will find if I keep this thread going is - "Yeah we should have scrolling text like in Zune" or "It's just the design" - there is no write answer, but yes, in ideal world if the text is too big, it should scroll. That wasn't implemented so we just end up assuming what the remaining title is. The reason it doesn't go to the page on right is because by design language, text should extend on the right only if its indicative of more info on the right of the panorama so that the user can intuitively swipe right without an arrow taking them to the right. With that logic it makes sense to not extend the text to right. But it doesn't make sense why the text shouldn't slowly scroll so that the whole title is visible.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
It's a feature because you can clearly see the word due to its size, and you see enough of it to know what it says. Your brain doesn't need to see an entire word to recognize what it is, having the text spill over allows you to cheat and increase the font size for clarity and still be understandable.

congusano

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's a feature because you can clearly see the word due to its size, and you see enough of it to know what it says. Your brain doesn't need to see an entire word to recognize what it is, having the text spill over allows you to cheat and increase the font size for clarity and still be understandable.

That might be the case for some things, but for example, I have used the sound identification feature in Bing and it would show show the artist information with some of it off the screen, and that extends beyond just one word.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
In some cases, it doesn't make any sense. For example, PicoLyrics has the song title extended beyond the screen, so the developer implemented swiping on the title to scroll it. IMO, that should be a standard practice on Windows Phone.

despertador

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I like it. Makes the phone more metro-ish looking (in my opinion). I'm pretty sure that devs would make their title text a smaller font if it is long, but sometimes it really doesn't matter!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)