NFC payments on HTC 8X

Chris_Sewell

Mar 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I am based in the UK. I've been trying to get my head around how exactly you get NFC payments going on Windows phone 8 (using a VISA). Has anybody ever made an NFC payment on the OS or on an 8X ? I am on the Three network and they tell me I have a secure SIM (although I don't think their representatives really know what secure SIM's are) but I can't find any way to enable it or make a payment. Does anybody know where the problems lie, there is a socking lack of knowledgebase for something that seems so useful and important for a smartphone?

Do Microsoft need to push an update ?
Does my network not support it ?
Does my phone not support it ?
Does my card issuer not support it ?

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I think what the issue is that at this point there is no application to support mobile payments on Windows phone. The wallet app does not actually support NFC payments it's basically just a storage locker for for payment options and only has the ability to make payments to the WP store at this point, which obviously doesn't involve NFC. I think that the idea is to eventually expand to that capability but MS has to make deals with carriers and payment providers to use their app.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
UK hasn't got it yet on any network - Visa have been pushing like crazy to get it implemented but the carriers will have to issue new SIMs and your bank will have to adapt their software to allow secure OTA mobile payments. So you can guarantee android and apple will get that functionality way before WP does as a lot of the UK banks don't even have WP8 apps yet.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Your SIM cannot be a secure SIM - at least not for NFC standards. That's the whole issues in the UK - we don't have those SIMs, even if we had those apps. But since we don't have SIMs no one wants to make those apps because they are redundant.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The guy I sit next to at work has got an NFC tap to pay chip from Barclaycard with a ?20 transaction limit on it that he keeps in the back of his GS3. Its not connected to his phone in any way other than being inside the casing - but then he gets to show off at McDonalds when hes buying breakfast by tapping his phone on the card reader

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99