Wired Magazine SLAMS weak WP8 app releases...

waazzupppp

Sep 28, 2009
Visit site
I love articles like this because they usually ignore the core functionality of the OS. Everyone complains that WP's Facebook App is terrible, yet they forget that they use the People and Me Tiles for most of their updates. The complain because the Twitter Apps are weak, yet, the OS integrates so well with it as well. People get hung up on Apps so easily and everyone is right... It's the quality, not the quantity of them. Of course, the quality is something that is in question when many are missing - especially from transfers...

Here is my list of Apps that need to make an appearance soon...

Blogger - The number one Android blogging program and staple to those that used Picasa and Google for their daily lives. Yes, you can blog by email, but should you have to?
Instagram - Sure we throw out the "We don't need it" line, but we have these great cameras and we don't have the most popular camera app in the world?
Video Sharing - The lackluster options for sharing videos off Windows Phone stinks... Get me a YouTube app that will upload directly or Qik or anything...

Other than that, the core functions and a few Apps get me through the day just fine. Sometimes people just need to realize what a phone OS can do before they start asking for Apps.

lipper2000

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I still do not get everyone's infatuation with Instagram.

The only app I was missing was Pandora which is now available. Otherwise a revamped Facebook and a few other apps being updated to Win 8 is all the platform really needs.

It doesn't matter...Instagram is used by a lot of people.
You have to be realistic, this is an app that can really sell a phone to some people in western countries

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
lots of points for improvement are listed, if you can see past the negative.

the convenience store coffee, damn, that was harsh. ill agree on click bait for that one.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Or, it makes it possible to connect to great photographers and other visual artists on the go in a way that was nearly impossible a few years back.

You do realize that a lot of professional photographers have their profiles up on Instagram now, don't you? Let's not be dismissive of something just because you don't understand it.

If it's about connecting to "real" great photographers - Flickr has been around for long. There has been ways to access blogs of your favourite photographer since ages. So even few years back it was possible. What these photosharing apps do is - give a chance for any Tom, **** or Harry to put his pictures on by adding filters and just push it out on the net, because he can. As much as I love seeing some excellent photos from people, you have to understand that probably 10,000 out of 10 millions users on Instagram are doing real photography, the rest are just adding filters to their noodles.

TonyDedrick

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
If it's about connecting to "real" great photographers - Flickr has been around for long. There has been ways to access blogs of your favourite photographer since ages. So even few years back it was possible. What these photosharing apps do is - give a chance for any Tom, **** or Harry to put his pictures on by adding filters and just push it out on the net, because he can. As much as I love seeing some excellent photos from people, you have to understand that probably 10,000 out of 10 millions users on Instagram are doing real photography, the rest are just adding filters to their noodles.

Not really sure what your point is.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Not really sure what your point is.

That before Instagram we had real photographers and we could discover new ones too and that Instagram isn't a holy grail for finding awesome photographers. It's an app to add filters and share it on internet, because in this day and age, we can absolutely chuck anything on internet!

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
Lots of Instagram apologists here. You can make fun of this app all you want, at the end of the day the fact remains that Instagram, after Twitter and Facebook, is perhaps the biggest 'social network' out there. It's a top app, people love it, people want it, and it's as simple as that. Your denial of this fact won't change anything.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
Lots of Instagram apologists here. You can make fun of this app all you want, at the end of the day the fact remains that Instagram, after Twitter and Facebook, is perhaps the biggest 'social network' out there. It's a top app, people love it, people want it, and it's as simple as that. Your denial of this fact won't change anything.

As long as we are moving off topic a bit let me ask this.

Who are developers hurting more themselves or us? When it come to business at my company I want to reach as many people as possible. I make sure that every person and company in my target group has access to my goods and services. How is a company like Instagram helping it's bottom line by not becoming part of the WP environment?

Last edited:

ricbon

May 5, 2012
Visit site

Who are developers hurting more themselves or us? When it come business at my company I want to reach as many people as possible. I make sure that every person and company in my target group has access to my goods and services. How is a company like Instagram helping it bottom line by not becoming part of the WP environment?

thats a great point thats why it confuses me from the likes of some of these devs even the likes of google whos business is built on gathering information from consumers that shun wp

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

Does Z10 have an instagram port already on it?

mr_808

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm finding I'm heading more and more back to engadget these days....the layout is simple...it's mostly just fact based with the exception of editorials which is fine...reviews are pretty fair....

While I still think Wired is a viable option for tech news, I totally agree with this statement. Engadget by far has the best articles for tech and they seem to be very unbiased by just describing the news and not taking sides. I see a lot of WP8 news that comes this way from them.

Alex_Hong

May 11, 2012
Visit site
Does Z10 have an instagram port already on it?

It has an Android Port that works relatively well enough, but its not in BB World yet. So I wouldn't consider it to be on the platform already, since most wouldn't go to the trouble of side-loading. Normal consumers probably wouldn't even know the term side-loading.

Anyway, BB10 is in no better shape than WP8. WP8 has more quality apps imo. But I have to admit to the point of MS being slow in updates. WP has been out for around 2 years already, and still we lack a notification centre, which is pretty important imo. WP8 is not a new platform even though it might use a different kernel. Most consumers wouldn't care or know about that, because it looks largely the same only with the exception of adjustable tile size. Same thing with BB10, its not exactly a new platform as well. PlayBook which uses the same kernel has been out for around 2 years already. But BlackBerry has it worse as playbook uses a different UI, apps might be easily ported over, but the UI looks out of place. That plus Android apps don't necessarily work well since they use a different type of navigation.

In terms of ecosystem, it is my opinion (not just number of apps, but also quality of apps) that BlackBerry 10 is quite a distant behind Windows Phone. Also don't forget Zinio's recent announcement that they will be bringing their updated app to WP8 first before trickling the design to other platforms. Its a good endorsement imo.

The Wired article isn't exactly wrong, its a little harsh, but I don't see why we need to show leniency to companies. Same goes for BlackBerry too. They have their fair share of "XXX apps not coming to BB10", "BB10 still lacking in apps" articles, and frankly they kinda deserve it. Both also have things still lacking in their OS, features that are still missing, APIs that are not in place yet. They are still relatively new, compared to the matured iOS and Android platform. But that just mean that they have to work extra hard to catch up.

One comment that I have been seeing all too much on BB10 is the statement that BB10 launched with 70,000 apps, which is more than what any other platforms launched with. But its frankly a useless number when many big name apps are not on board yet. And comparing it with something that happened years ago? its like a country saying, "Our new armed forces started with Assault Rifles, Tanks, and Jets. Which is more than what Alexander the Great's Army started with, like swords, spears, and horses." Step 1 towards a better platform is to step out of denial. To be honest, I prefer BB10 over WP8, because it suits my needs better. But I want the both of them to do well. They both provide something unique to the smartphone market, which ultimately more choices is better for consumers.

Apologies for dragging BB talk into this thread, but there are many parallels that can be drawn with both platform, since they are both relatively newer, and are facing similar struggles. End of the day, they just both need to do what they can to get more developers on board. Not just to bring their app over from iOS and Android, but to consider their platform to launch a new app with.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site

Who are developers hurting more themselves or us? When it come to business at my company I want to reach as many people as possible. I make sure that every person and company in my target group has access to my goods and services. How is a company like Instagram helping it's bottom line by not becoming part of the WP environment?
Well it's kind of like a company opening a retail store in a new location. Let's suppose the cost of opening a new store is $50,000 one time + $5000 monthly expenses, regardless of wherever you open it. Now you'd want to recover that cost as soon as possible so you'd want to open it in a place that will attract the REQUIRED amount of customers on a CONSTANT basis so that you can 1) recover the one time cost as soon as possible and 2) earn more than your monthly expense.

Project the same situation on Instagram. They spend huge sums of money to develop a top notch app for Windows Phone, and then spend considerable amounts monthly to pay developers and keep the app updated. They might get their initial expenditure back but are there enough users to make the monthly expenses worthwhile? Perhaps it isn't, which is why they are not interested for now.

ag1986

Banned
Jan 14, 2013
Visit site

Simple: There are not enough WP users to justify the costs involved in developing and supporting an Instagram app for WP.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Here's the thing - to a person considering a new smartphone how do you tell them that WP8 is superior to iOS/Android? What are the reasons they should overlook the feature and app holes?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb