Excel Question

garak0410

Jan 8, 2009
Visit site
I convinced our office manager to go to a Windows Phone...while it has had some bluthtooh issues (even with updates), she is liking it. The latest thing I did for her was to write a script to copy spreadsheet on our network to her SkyDrive sync folder so she can have an updated copy every hour. It is an Excel sheet with special "Drawing Boxes" for special messages she puts on it. Sadly. Excel Mobile on Windows Phone 8 doesn't seem to support this. Anyone know if it will work?

I did save it as a PDF and it viewed well on READER on the phone but she doesn't want to save twice and wants it easy...

Magnus Peders1

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
There seems to be many functions that don't work in excel mobile and when I open a sheet which uses one of them I get a message with "can't edit workbook"..

Regular cell comments work for me, but only when it's a sheet that I can edit on my phone..

You could try opening it in skydrives web app through IE, that might work, though not as quick and easy as through the office hub..

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Im hoping to buy an L820, but if it resolves some excel issues... Any idea if what I want is possible: can I convert excel into pdf or jpeg/tiff/bmp? My L800 can't do that even in webapps...in fact webapps dont open: if I access SkyDrive thru IE rather than the app, it opens files in office mobile, but when I try to open in webapps it doesn't

So is there a way to convert excel to pdf or jpeg in WP8?

Magnus Peders1

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Im hoping to buy an L820, but if it resolves some excel issues... Any idea if what I want is possible: can I convert excel into pdf or jpeg/tiff/bmp? My L800 can't do that even in webapps...in fact webapps dont open: if I access SkyDrive thru IE rather than the app, it opens files in office mobile, but when I try to open in webapps it doesn't

So is there a way to convert excel to pdf or jpeg in WP8?

If you have IE set to open the mobile version of websites the files will open in office mobile. If you change to desktop version it will open in webapps, at least that's what happens on my L920. Webapps still won't let you convert to PDF though..

Excel files that can't be edited can still be viewed perfectly fine, so is there a reason you want it converted? Screenshot would work, even if you zoom out to get all content of a relatively large sheet the screenshot is still sharp when you zoom in.

Can take some screenshots later if you want to see how it looks.

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
I have to email the files to people, but its a final version that clients should not be able to edit, so my workplace requires it to be pdf or jpeg.

In print, its an A4 size, so the screenshot size and resolution is good, its shld solve my problem. I can't have a client be made to read a jpg thats too small on his computer. So, any idea on the size of the image?

Last edited:

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
She is writing notes in the drawing shapes?

Explain what she is trying to do, there may be a better work flow.

Magnus Peders1

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I have to email the files to people, but its a final version that clients should not be able to edit, so my workplace requires it to be pdf or jpeg.

In print, its an A4 size, so the screenshot size and resolution is good, its shld solve my problem. I can't have a client be made to read a jpg thats too small on his computer. So, any idea on the size of the image?

Screenshot resolution is 768x1280. Here is a screenshot i took straight from excel mobile
wp_ss_20130406_0004.png

If you want a more elegant solution you could check out Wappwolf.
It is an "automator" that should be able to automatically convert files in a Dropbox, Google drive or Box folder to PDF. It costs 5$ a month to get those options, but their website states that it also is able to automatically send files in email, upload to skydrive and even convert audio files.

Thinking of trying Wappwolf myself, if I do I can let you know how good it works...

mpt15

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
Screenshot resolution is 768x1280. Here is a screenshot i took straight from excel mobile
View attachment 31807

If you want a more elegant solution you could check out Wappwolf.
It is an "automator" that should be able to automatically convert files in a Dropbox, Google drive or Box folder to PDF. It costs 5$ a month to get those options, but their website states that it also is able to automatically send files in email, upload to skydrive and even convert audio files.

Thinking of trying Wappwolf myself, if I do I can let you know how good it works...

The screenshot looks good. The 820 resolution is probably lower. I'll check out wappwolf too. Thank you so much :)
I'll definitely buy the 820.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05