People who never used WP before , how do they react when they see your device ?

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Thats strange, most of my friends have no problem getting through the lockscreen, a lot of them have androids though so there used to a upward swipe motion
but even my iphone friends, they arent that closed minded and know that most non-iphone don't swipe to the side...

other than that I've gotten everything from "Your phone is gorgeous" to "OMG this phone looks so complicated" from android and Iphone users a like...

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
Thats strange, most of my friends have no problem getting through the lockscreen, a lot of them have androids though so there used to a upward swipe motion
but even my iphone friends, they arent that closed minded and know that most non-iphone don't swipe to the side...

other than that I've gotten everything from "Your phone is gorgeous" to "OMG this phone looks so complicated" from android and Iphone users a like...

Windows Phone needs something special to draw people in. At this point, only tech people see it.

EauRouge

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I think the interface is the biggest issue for most people. I never did like scrolling down for my tiles. The home screen, I did not like.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I think the interface is the biggest issue for most people. I never did like scrolling down for my tiles. The home screen, I did not like.

Scrolling down or scrolling left to right there is no real difference. The real difference is that while scrolling for your app your eye catches what's new in the process from the live tiles. And this is a wow and a real improvement in UX from the old iconic interfaces

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
People over think windows phone, thinking it is much more complicated than it is but to be honest, windows phone is the most easiest to use phone out there. everything you touch on the screen; the icons and lettering is big and clear, clean and just beautiful to use and look at. Windows phone, both 7 and 8 are phones for dummies. I used a GS3, now I do like Samsung's but I don't like android and I have used android before but I thought to myself "how on earth can anyone use these without throwing the damn thing out of the window" talk about a mature OS. The animations on windows phone is what I love, like when you play music and go to the lock screen and the artist background is there with the name drifting across <3

AlexRodriguezNY

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
So , It has been 2 months since i got my Lumia 820.Lot of my friends/family/people asked me about my device.Funny thing is apart from one member (my uncle) , nobody knows WP platform and never used a WP (or) tried it before.

I want to write the experience how people handle WP for first time they see it [Most of them have iPhones/iPads and Galaxies/Tabs]

*This is what happens most of the times :*
Whenever someone sees my red phone ,
they ask me "hey , what phone is it ?" or "Is it Lumia ?"
and i would be like "Its Nokia Lumia" [I don't mention any model , just "Nokia Lumia" or "Lumia"] or "Yes , Its Lumia"
and they will be like "Oh OK"

Then they want to see the device.I hand it over.
They search for buttons but don't find any button and ask me how to turn ON the phone.
I ask them to press lock button from side.They get confused whether to press buttom key [camera key] or middle key [lock button] to turn ON.Once they press the right button
They start swiping right and pgone doesn't unlock , then I say "you must swipe upwards to unlock".

After phone gets unlocked :
They look confused and feel chaos , they don't understand anything and remain silent without any word and then they swipe silently to right [generally that's what most of them do because in android or iOS , you see pages of apps from left to right] and then they see apps and start to scroll it down.
While scrolling they ask what apps/games it has.I say the names of bunch of apps and they are clueless.Then , ask it has temple run/subway surfers and I said No (until yesterday) for both.

I show them my start screen which has lot of live tiles (probably 12 or so) flipping over time to time.Then they ask what storage it has and I take the phone into "phone storage" under settings and show them.
They will be like "woah , 60 GB ? that's a lot" and I tell them phone has 8 gb internal and i expanded with 64 gb and lot of my media collection is stored and show them some movies.[only reason i do that is because most of them don't believe that 64GB card is available , they use either 16gb or 32gb cards in their galaxies and then I must show them "phone storage" obviously to how to use the phone.
They will be like "Wow , phone is running so smooth inspite of having 64gb card with most of it filled"

On a serious Note : Everyone who saw the device is curious and highly interested in WP that they show lot of enthusiasm to know more about it.
Then I show them my groups and how I integrate my accounts etc. and also show them tile re-sizing , camera key etc.

Another question what everyone ask is "how do u close apps" and I say "No need to" and they will be like "how is that possible ?" and I press back button long and show them how recent apps are running and resuming as i switch.They ask "so no need to close the apps at all ?" and i say "No , Windows OS handle everything" [i specifically say windows os instead of wp os]

These are my conclusions from what i observed :
-Overall , everyone got highly impressed with WP until they hear that they don't have apps/games which they had in Android/iOS [Temple run being asked by almost everyone and apps like whatsapp,instagram etc.] on WP.
-Lack of specific popular apps is what killing interest in the platform
-Requires biggest learning curve for non-tech person
-Feeling of "confusion" , "chaos" , scratching their heads when they look at the OS for the first time due to different UI and less popularity.This is clearly steering away lot of people.Most of them don't even have a thought of "trying" WP.
-They Like the hardware and color so much but they have lot of love towards their androids or iphones that they don't to leave them for WP.

But some of them are highly Interested in getting the 620 or 920

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
How come no comment , just quotes.

Mod , Would u mind fixing the thread ? Is it error or really an empty reply ?

EDIT : i meant the above 2 replies

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
Microsoft needs to do more marketing and get the word out for such a great platform! Marketing is the key to success!
Sent from my RM-845_nam_vzw_100 using Board Express

Neo Nuke

Jan 15, 2012
Visit site
As a motorcyclist I really appreciate not having to take off my riding gloves to use my phone. Even if Texas is hot as ****.

Pi Sin

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Since my country isn't that cold , Nobody wears gloves.

Super sensitive screen is like a gimmick to my usage.

lol my country also doesn't use glove and its hot all year round.. but the super bright screen does allow me to read whats on my phone in bright hot sun haha.. no more covering with hand or use my back to block the sun so that i can see whos calling when my phone ring

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa