What's up with the 1 GB RAM requirement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
No one's got it down to a science, but it's pretty obvious that pixel density has crossed into overkill territory. Many ordinary people can't make out the dramatic difference between the retina iPad and standard iPad screen. 400PPI is about sticking your nose in the screen.

Simply put, insane PPI isn't where manufacturers should be going if they want to deliver the best all-round experience in a device. A lower resolution screen should mean less power draw, less volume, and less processing power. That means you can get better battery life, have a thinner phone, and either use a less powerful processor (that isn't as power hungry) or provide a smoother experience with the same processor.

An interesting comparison on the Windows Phone side is the Lumia 920 vs 620. The 620 actually outperforms the 920 on occasion, yet has a worse processor. It also sports a smaller battery, yet by all indications doesn't suffer from worse battery life. WVGA might be slightly long in the tooth, but I'm hoping 720p becomes the new mid-range spec for Windows Phone come Blue. Hopefully then we'll be able to see a Lumia 720-esque device, but with 720p.

But would this need of more powerful hardware be because Android is demanding more? So far, iOS/WP has been just fine with dual-core processors...it leads me to believe Android is a needy b1tch lol
Some Android software - particularly manufacturer tweaks - perform really badly, and definitely do not unlock the potential of the great hardware inside. The insane chipsets inside these phones are there for two reasons - one, bigger = better, and two, high resolution screens.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
No one's got it down to a science, but it's pretty obvious that pixel density has crossed into overkill territory. Many ordinary people can't make out the dramatic difference between the retina iPad and standard iPad screen. 400PPI is about sticking your nose in the screen.

Simply put, insane PPI isn't where manufacturers should be going if they want to deliver the best all-round experience in a device. A lower resolution screen should mean less power draw, less volume, and less processing power. That means you can get better battery life, have a thinner phone, and either use a less powerful processor (that isn't as power hungry) or provide a smoother experience with the same processor.

An interesting comparison on the Windows Phone side is the Lumia 920 vs 620. The 620 actually outperforms the 920 on occasion, yet has a worse processor. It also sports a smaller battery, yet by all indications doesn't suffer from worse battery life. WVGA might be slightly long in the tooth, but I'm hoping 720p becomes the new mid-range spec for Windows Phone come Blue. Hopefully then we'll be able to see a Lumia 720-esque device, but with 720p.

We all know you are right. But consider the bashing the HTC One got when they announced a 4mp camera :). How will any new phone sell now when they will not have 1080p and at least quad-core cpus (octa core to be king of the hill). No good review will surface on the internet. Even Z10 was bashed for spotting mid-level specs without any day to day real life usage to see if for that phone those were enough specs for smooth experience or not. No carrier will advertise them and any ads on tv will just be laugh at for spotting and old obsolete model(specs wise). So the good part is now apps can do less with more in a true full hd way. And you can charge your phone more if you find it lack in battery department :)

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
we with our wp8 devices are so so tied up, with the exciting apps that's been pushed onto the store the whole of last week, forget borrowing, we don't even the time to think of the, "what phone was that, again"??? 😊On a lighter note folks

You mean "The best selling phone on the market" ? :)

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
I think that they are going to choose the Snapdragon 600, because the 800 is mostly for tablets. If LG can put a 2460 mAh battery in a 4.3 inch screen device (P710) that is smaller and a tiny bit thinner than the Lumia 820 (2460 mAh battery) surely we can expect the next Lumia 9x0 to have 2200+ mAh. But it is not always about mAh, iPhone 5 only has a 1440 mAh battery and does a great job with it.

Based on the past, the problem is that Windows Phones devices are a few steps behind in hardware and power efficiency. By the time a 2GB Quad-Core Windows Phone hits the market (I expect November 2013) it will be falling behind again. Although it should not be about having the latest hardware, but giving the best performance on the hardware you have. This does not hold up when you can't play the latest games or in terms of marketing. The average consumer sees 8 cores as better than 2 cores, 2GB ram better than 1GB ram and 13MP camera better than 8MP.

Windows Phone needs time and I am positive that within 18 months they will catch up and we will see 15% marketshare. And this will force developers to be more efficient with their programming and will also force manufactures to provide the best hardware. And there will be more competition within the WP world. Developers will compute for your money and there will be more manufactures. I am positive that once there is money to be made in the WP world, brands like LG and Sony will join.

Don't think they will use the Quad-Core Snapdragon 600 because it's just a rebranded Quad-Core Snapdragon S4 Pro with the older Adreno 320!

Snapdragon 800 (MSM8974) uses the new Adreno 330 GPU hardware is next generation SOC for the next generation WP9.

Sep 25, 2011
Visit site
we with our wp8 devices are so so tied up, with the exciting apps that's been pushed onto the store the whole of last week, forget borrowing, we don't even the time to think of the, "what phone was that, again"??? On a lighter note folks
Download Ms. Splosion Man on your Windows Phone 8 and let us know how it goes :grincry:

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Download Ms. Splosion Man on your Windows Phone 8 and let us know how it goes :grincry:

Dude,firstly why would I even care about a game that too some not heard of title. I think all that matters to you is to go around sniffing on what next,to complain about and waste everyone's time. If you think MS/whoever is jerking off on you releasing all these titles why do you even wait for another title to come up, just move on.. Or else just take things as they come.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Dude,firstly why would I even care about a game that too some not heard of title. I think all that matters to you is to go around sniffing on what next,to complain about and waste everyone's time. If you think MS/whoever is jerking off on you releasing all these titles why do you even wait for another title to come up, just move on.. Or else just take things as they come.
MS said that WP7 apps work on WP8 but it turned out to be a BIG LIE.

Yeah , Now users have no choice but " just take things as they come" because their precious new phones can't run what 2 year old phones are able to run.

nfbsk

Feb 17, 2012
Visit site
Name one person/organisation who's never lied.

That is really irrelevant. I thought we have discussed this to death previously. Bottom line: 512MB devices will probably outsell 1GB devices so developers cannot ignore them much longer. If the developers are still lazy and stubborn, then too bad for them.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
That is really irrelevant. I thought we have discussed this to death previously. Bottom line: 512MB devices will probably outsell 1GB devices so developers cannot ignore them much longer. If the developers are still lazy and stubborn, then too bad for them.
512's might outsell the 1gigs I'm not sure,about the sales figures, but then its also been discussed to death that its not because the devs are,ignoring a certain set of users,but the its the time crunch they encounter to, get the apps out on,time. I wanna pull up,what I said before that when I,got the 920 in,Dec 12 , there weren't even any good apps apart,from the Nokia exclusives, and now in 3 months, times have changed, I see momentum. Now the first 512, the 620 was out early march , so give the devs the breather to get,their apps customized for the 512s.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate those very particular set of skills that you seem to have gathered by the life of this thread to read things which never have been mentioned...
1.I only asked, who on this planet never lies.MS does like every other business. Dint google lie by staying the google now,to the apple app store?? Dint apple lie about the iphone 5 being the worlds thinnest smartphone. These,lies to you and me are termed as marketing.
2.I appreciated the,devs who are working hard to get the titles,to the 512 which is all that's being discussed here. I,don't know what's coming out on wp8 but knowing what it takes to get an app customized to a certain hardware deserves a Lil recognition to those folks who are sweating it out.

Finally i rest my case and this thread,doesn't seem to heading any where. So ill,conclude my part by you stand by what you believe and i will by mine.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site

You mean those blind Google fanboys/Apple haters who wrote an article BSing about Apple/iPhone 5 ?

Ascend P1 has 6.8mm at its thinnest part and 7.69 mm thickness at the thickest point.It doesn't have uniform thickness like iPhone 5 which is constant 7.6 mm

Please stop posting those non sense links and non sense articles which are written even without any base or research.

Technically calling it thinner than iPhone 5 is so dumb.It doesn't take a genius to figure out which phone is thinnest when you get hands on with both.

On side note : They write such articles to get clicks and push Ads not more than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs