What's up with the 1 GB RAM requirement ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I appreciate devs , like gameloft who brought asphalt 7 to 512 mb devices.

They should have done it long before

They did it. That's all that is should matter. The fact that they had the 1gb version ready should have not deprive the 1gb users from playing it and have to wait for 512mb version to be ready.

The fact that they did it only proves what has been stated in this thread that it's a matter of time and resources for stuff to be made available for all. This should put people mind at ease that we are facing a fragmentation problem.

The fragmentation problem for windows phone 8 does not exist in practice until people complaining make it exist.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
They did it. That's all that is should matter. The fact that they had the 1gb version ready should have not deprive the 1gb users from playing it and have to wait for 512mb version to be ready.

The fact that they did it only proves what has been stated in this thread that it's a matter of time and resources for stuff to be made available for all. This should put people mind at ease that we are facing a fragmentation problem.

The fragmentation problem for windows phone 8 does not exist in practice until people complaining make it exist.

Fragmentation issue rises when there is missing link between Devices , 3rd party Devs and platform developer.
WP has less variations in SoCs (Only 2 configurations on WP7 and 2 on WP8) and hardware apart from screen and design , they need to speed up their work.WP8 sdk should have got to devs faster.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
You mean those blind Google fanboys/Apple haters who wrote an article BSing about Apple/iPhone 5 ?

Ascend P1 has 6.8mm at its thinnest part and 7.69 mm thickness at the thickest point.It doesn't have uniform thickness like iPhone 5 which is constant 7.6 mm

Please stop posting those non sense links and non sense articles which are written even without any base or research.

Technically calling it thinner than iPhone 5 is so dumb.It doesn't take a genius to figure out which phone is thinnest when you get hands on with both.

On side note : They write such articles to get clicks and push Ads not more than that.

As i said you stay with what you believe and what's non sense to you makes sense to me. But i enjoyed the apple haters,part. Lol.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
As i said you stay with what you believe and what's non sense to you makes sense to me. But i enjoyed the apple haters,part. Lol.
My point was they write all bs to get clicks and see sites like verge where they research a lot before posting an article.

Oh yeah , Apple didn't lie , you should have given better example than that.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Fragmentation issue rises when there is missing link between Devices , 3rd party Devs and platform developer.
WP has less variations in SoCs (Only 2 configurations on WP7 and 2 on WP8) and hardware apart from screen and design , they need to speed up their work.WP8 sdk should have got to devs faster.

No it should have not. SDK leaks what the phone is. So you can't spread it in advance or the phone launch means nothing as it's leaked all over press(this is considering the wp8 was a reboot with a different kernel and not an iteration over wp7). A SDK comes with a complete emulator and leaking that emulator image shows to all people what wp8 is all about. So guess why you don't get SDK released earlier. And anyway an earlier SDK does nothing. People still need actual devices so having the SDK earlier is not that much of an advantage.

People should understand that devs means companies. Companies do not invest in products do not allocate budget until careful planning and gauging if a platform can be successful so the SDK should have arrived 3-4 month earlier to maybe make a difference to some companies and that as I said makes any phone or os launch invalid. No big phone presentation no hype no media coverage no sales no market share no interests for companies to develop for windows phone 8.

And you don't understand the development process. Having SDK come too fast is a nightmare. I work for this app for 3-4 month(mockups, case study variants, etc). I have my work done with an SDK and now MS launched a new SDK with new features. I have a million things to implement now to take full use of the sdk. My budget is gone and there is no time to implement those new SDK things. So I launch the app with the old sdk. Now imagine the consumer reactions who knows what sdk has because or media coverage. A rain of 1 star reviews because my app does not implement those new features no one understand and read in blogs that are up for a small period of time. All old apps start receiving bad reviews and complains because people scream that the SDK is up for 1 week and the app is still not updated with the new features.

SDK upgrades are a pain in the ***. When talking about smartphone apps it sucks even worse. Because those app receive users review and user have no idea about what it is involved in making an app and complain that all apps should take advantage of the new SDK special tile that was made available.

Any SDK coming faster than 6 month(SDK that contains improvements and additions not bug fixes or optimization improvements) just breaks the cycle of development for any dev. Considering how young the platform is a faster cycle upgrade is more damaging than anything. So speeding up is meaningless and damaging.

Feel free to think that other platforms have a faster SDK release cycle or that they move faster but this is not the case. You want a new SDK but not all apps have been ported to wp8 and not all apps are correctly utilizing the wp8 methodology or implement all features with the current SDK. Momentum is something you have to build. Move too fast and you make a hard time for software companies to recover the investment in the platform and they will loose interest in further development for windows phone. This is a concept MS and apple understand so well.

In android landscape you have widgets, search integration and a lot of event notifications and places to plug your app. Guess what most app don't touch those points not even the big ones. Because it is not mandatory because it's not something that is portable over ios because it takes additional time and resources. So they skip making widgets or integrating into the global search or doing more advanced stuff. They continue to work as the like of ios apps with less optimizations and less care not to run in the background or eat battery.

Windows phone 8 and the expectations of users of this OS makes that all dev have to make use of live tiles(kind of like making a widget for android) when possible or receive bad reviews. They should make use of push notifications everywhere possible as to cope with the restricted background access model(so now you have to code a server component too). If it is a photo app you need to make it also a lens or again face the wrath of users(something that is not found on ios but has some equivalent on android but you can skip it there with no problem). Chat apps should integrate in contacts and so on. So windows phone 8 makes you do a lot more stuff in order to provide the premium experience the user expect from the apps running on the platform. Consider all this and now think of the effect of a new SDK every month(I'm sure you would like to see it every week if possible) and how this means doom for all apps and then for the entire ecosystem.

And I ask you what would you want to see in SDK that will so greatly enhance the platform and you believe will drive sells?

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
No it should have not. SDK leaks what the phone is. So you can't spread it in advance or the phone launch means nothing as it's leaked all over press(this is considering the wp8 was a reboot with a different kernel and not an iteration over wp7). A SDK comes with a complete emulator and leaking that emulator image shows to all people what wp8 is all about. So guess why you don't get SDK released earlier. And anyway an earlier SDK does nothing. People still need actual devices so having the SDK earlier is not that much of an advantage.

People should understand that devs means companies. Companies do not invest in products do not allocate budget until careful planning and gauging if a platform can be successful so the SDK should have arrived 3-4 month earlier to maybe make a difference to some companies and that as I said makes any phone or os launch invalid. No big phone presentation no hype no media coverage no sales no market share no interests for companies to develop for windows phone 8.

And you don't understand the development process. Having SDK come too fast is a nightmare. I work for this app for 3-4 month(mockups, case study variants, etc). I have my work done with an SDK and now MS launched a new SDK with new features. I have a million things to implement now to take full use of the sdk. My budget is gone and there is no time to implement those new SDK things. So I launch the app with the old sdk. Now imagine the consumer reactions who knows what sdk has because or media coverage. A rain of 1 star reviews because my app does not implement those new features no one understand and read in blogs that are up for a small period of time. All old apps start receiving bad reviews and complains because people scream that the SDK is up for 1 week and the app is still not updated with the new features.

SDK upgrades are a pain in the ***. When talking about smartphone apps it sucks even worse. Because those app receive users review and user have no idea about what it is involved in making an app and complain that all apps should take advantage of the new SDK special tile that was made available.

Any SDK coming faster than 6 month(SDK that contains improvements and additions not bug fixes or optimization improvements) just breaks the cycle of development for any dev. Considering how young the platform is a faster cycle upgrade is more damaging than anything. So speeding up is meaningless and damaging.

Feel free to think that other platforms have a faster SDK release cycle or that they move faster but this is not the case. You want a new SDK but not all apps have been ported to wp8 and not all apps are correctly utilizing the wp8 methodology or implement all features with the current SDK. Momentum is something you have to build. Move too fast and you make a hard time for software companies to recover the investment in the platform and they will loose interest in further development for windows phone. This is a concept MS and apple understand so well.

In android landscape you have widgets, search integration and a lot of event notifications and places to plug your app. Guess what most app don't touch those points not even the big ones. Because it is not mandatory because it's not something that is portable over ios because it takes additional time and resources. So they skip making widgets or integrating into the global search or doing more advanced stuff. They continue to work as the like of ios apps with less optimizations and less care not to run in the background or eat battery.

Windows phone 8 and the expectations of users of this OS makes that all dev have to make use of live tiles(kind of like making a widget for android) when possible or receive bad reviews. They should make use of push notifications everywhere possible as to cope with the restricted background access model(so now you have to code a server component too). If it is a photo app you need to make it also a lens or again face the wrath of users(something that is not found on ios but has some equivalent on android but you can skip it there with no problem). Chat apps should integrate in contacts and so on. So windows phone 8 makes you do a lot more stuff in order to provide the premium experience the user expect from the apps running on the platform. Consider all this and now think of the effect of a new SDK every month(I'm sure you would like to see it every week if possible) and how this means doom for all apps and then for the entire ecosystem.

And I ask you what would you want to see in SDK that will so greatly enhance the platform and you believe will drive sells?

They could have handed it to them in June itself like Apple/Google did with /iOSAndroid

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
I personally think scaling API's should be nice when there exist multiple devices (which is already present).

Why don't they implement layout API for different screen sizes ? Little bigger screens like 4.8 should get better UI to take advantage of its larger display and normal 3.7 inch should be the base for an app and this is one thing I noticed from Galaxy Note Vs S3 , Note has bigger icons thats all , just over-stretched apps and UI , you can't fit more widgets but only same amount as in S3's home screen and there is just no big advantage of bigger screen apart from bigger icons and fonts.
WP8 also can take advantage of this screen display layouts because you can't install same firmware on all devices anyway , they must make different changes for different devices , so implementing it in WP8 itself reduces lot of work.920 has bigger screen than my 820 but it doesn't show any additional information compared to 820 , whats the use of bigger display ? Some apps for iPhone 5 have different UI compared to 4S apps , so 4 inch screen is advantageous over 3.5 inch display of previous iPhones and also devs taking advantage of that display.

Ofc , its dev wish what to do with that.It would be very nice.

Another thing should be , same app setup must detect device and install according to its potential , for example , asphalt 7 should have high end graphics on high end devices and somewhat low for low end devices.I am not sure if this kind of option is available.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
They could have handed it to them in June itself like Apple/Google did with /iOSAndroid

No they could not for the reasons stated above. Apple can give SDK when they want because they have phones to run it. Google can give SDK when they feel like because there are phone that run them. Android is not about home screen experience so what is in the emulator does not matter. iphones emulator is the same.

The wp7 emulator was not complete phone experience just for this reason(it was given in advance). Now you have a new emulator technology taking advantage of advancement in virtualization and you can provide a very fast windows phone emulator with complete functionality(how else could you test things like lenses). So to protect from leaks you don't give SDK.

And what good would have an SDK for a new platform do without a phone or without an OS to run it on? :))
People are so smart that they forget when windows 8 was launched. No windows 8 no emulator. No emulator and no phone what good is a SDK for?

Seriously talking about the sdk release time like it's something that should have been done is absurd and it's proving nothing. It's more like creating a problem when there is none.

Tell me what you as end user miss from the SDK or why is SDK schedule time affecting you or creating fragmentation I can understand your complains.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
I personally think scaling API's should be nice when there exist multiple devices (which is already present).

Why don't they implement layout API for different screen sizes ? Little bigger screens like 4.8 should get better UI to take advantage of its larger display and normal 3.7 inch should be the base for an app and this is one thing I noticed from Galaxy Note Vs S3 , Note has bigger icons thats all , just over-stretched apps and UI , you can't fit more widgets but only same amount as in S3's home screen and there is just no big advantage of bigger screen apart from bigger icons and fonts.
WP8 also can take advantage of this screen display layouts because you can't install same firmware on all devices anyway , they must make different changes for different devices , so implementing it in WP8 itself reduces lot of work.920 has bigger screen than my 820 but it doesn't show any additional information compared to 820 , whats the use of bigger display ? Some apps for iPhone 5 have different UI compared to 4S apps , so 4 inch screen is advantageous over 3.5 inch display of previous iPhones and also devs taking advantage of that display.

Ofc , its dev wish what to do with that.It would be very nice.

Another thing should be , same app setup must detect device and install according to its potential , for example , asphalt 7 should have high end graphics on high end devices and somewhat low for low end devices.I am not sure if this kind of option is available.

Asphalt 7 works on high end devices and low end devices. So I don't see a problem. No one is stopping developers to make different UI for different resolutions. But what good will come from that? More work for one but what is the point? A bigger screen with a bigger resolution but consistent scaling allows you to have crisper bigger more visible text with clear areas for touch. There are women with bigger nails and people who would prefer larger ui elements because of eye problems or simply usability. And I believe they are the majority and the reason why phones have bigger displays.

But HTC 8x shows you more information than your 820 just because of the screen aspect ratio. this is the case for iphone 5 also.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
No they could not for the reasons stated above. Apple can give SDK when they want because they have phones to run it. Google can give SDK when they feel like because there are phone that run them. Android is not about home screen experience so what is in the emulator does not matter. iphones emulator is the same.

The wp7 emulator was not complete phone experience just for this reason(it was given in advance). Now you have a new emulator technology taking advantage of advancement in virtualization and you can provide a very fast windows phone emulator with complete functionality(how else could you test things like lenses). So to protect from leaks you don't give SDK.

And what good would have an SDK for a new platform do without a phone or without an OS to run it on? :))
People are so smart that they forget when windows 8 was launched. No windows 8 no emulator. No emulator and no phone what good is a SDK for?

Seriously talking about the sdk release time like it's something that should have been done is absurd and it's proving nothing. It's more like creating a problem when there is none.

Tell me what you as end user miss from the SDK or why is SDK schedule time affecting you or creating fragmentation I can understand your complains.
Really ? leaks like what ? In June , we already know everything about WP8 except few features.

Did you see Sony how they made a developer edition for their Xperia and selling them ? or HTC One dev edition ? Apple also hands developer edition devices to companies like EA and other companies to make apps for devices.

Did u see EA games giving demo of Real Racing 3 on iPhone 5 event ? It ran on full resolution and taking advantage of A6 processor graphics.Did they make that app in 5 minutes ? No ofcourse not.
They made the game most probably using a prototype or testing device sent by apple to EA division and Apple also did same back in 2008 when they unveiled iOS 2.0 SDK and appstore.They already contacted lots of devs before keynote and demoed bunch of apps during the event.This happend before even appstore came into existence and iOS 2.0 features were unveiled.

Its not hard , Is it ?

As an end user , People keep waiting for apps.No company must ever release SDK and consumer devices at the same time or within one month time frame.Giving SDK earlier would have made devs to release all their apps right when devices started flooding the market.

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Asphalt 7 works on high end devices and low end devices. So I don't see a problem. No one is stopping developers to make different UI for different resolutions. But what good will come from that? More work for one but what is the point? A bigger screen with a bigger resolution but consistent scaling allows you to have crisper bigger more visible text with clear areas for touch. There are women with bigger nails and people who would prefer larger ui elements because of eye problems or simply usability. And I believe they are the majority and the reason why phones have bigger displays.

But HTC 8x shows you more information than your 820 just because of the screen aspect ratio. this is the case for iphone 5 also.
Nope it doesn't , Amount of tiles which are placed is also same which is around 7.5 small tiles

Apart from browser , there is no place but again you have to zoom for desktop sites on any device.

EDIT : There are accessability settings to adjust font/text and they can even implement it for UI elements , right ?

EDIT 2 : "this is the case for iphone 5 also."
Nope , iPhone 5 has extra row of icons and UI remains same as 4S or 4 but with extra space, for devs to add new features to apps instead of stretching UI which is present in WP8 as of now.Even 620 can place same number of tiles as a 920.
As an example , BBC app is completely different for iPhone 5 and iPhone 4S where iPhone 5 version introduced new elements mimics iPad version and also different layout than 4S.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Really ? leaks like what ? In June , we already know everything about WP8 except few features.

Did you see Sony how they made a developer edition for their Xperia and selling them ? or HTC One dev edition ? Apple also hands developer edition devices to companies like EA and other companies to make apps for devices.

Did u see EA games giving demo of Real Racing 3 on iPhone 5 event ? It ran on full resolution and taking advantage of A6 processor graphics.Did they make that app in 5 minutes ? No ofcourse not.
They made the game most probably using a prototype or testing device sent by apple to EA division and Apple also did same back in 2008 when they unveiled iOS 2.0 SDK and appstore.They already contacted lots of devs before keynote and demoed bunch of apps during the event.This happend before even appstore came into existence and iOS 2.0 features were unveiled.

Its not hard , Is it ?

As an end user , People keep waiting for apps.No company must ever release SDK and consumer devices at the same time or within one month time frame.Giving SDK earlier would have made devs to release all their apps right when devices started flooding the market.

HTC one is running an already outdate os at it's launch. Making dev devices for it is no problem. Sonya the same. They run an existing OS or older than the cutting edge os and they cant leak anything. WP8 phones were officially announced in the end of October so no dev devices in the begging of the summer.

iOS situation is again misleading. iOS 2.0 introduced app store so it needed apps. So yeah they gave the sdk earlier. That was the case for wp7 devices and they did the same back then.

games for iphone 5 demoed are again misleading. The game is made for ios(all iphone models) so presenting it on iphone 5 was made in less than a week because the engine was already there. The models were there, textures were there. They had an working game already made for previous devices. They just recompiled they assets to showcase the game on a more powerful Soc.

As stated new and powerful emulator based on better emulating techniques requirering the newest desktop os. So you can't have SDK(emulator is there) until you have windows 8. Windows 8 launches, windows phone 8 launches, SDK launches. That is completely normal.

As end user people should comprehend they have their own fault. Fault of understanding making new apps takes time fault to understand that they might not see the apps that are on competing ecosystems. Fault of understanding that they must prove demand for apps with their wallets not just by words. If statistics show small number of devices and low desire to buy apps who do you think will invest money to make apps? Users want the apps that are free and belong to various service providers. Well it's easy making apps has costs. Providing those apps for free means you need to be sure there are enough of your costumers there to make sense. For the moment there are not.

So it's not because of the SDK you don't see apps flooding. It's part of the problem but still not the main one. No one was stopping anyone to make wp7 apps full knowingly that they will run on wp8 devices. They could have flooded the devices and be update to the wp8 versions after wp8 launched.

The only case were this does not apply are games but for games but even there people knew enough to start build games earlier if they wanted. And for games you do need access to retail devices from various OEMs no matter how good an emulator is.

So you still not made a case for the necessity of faster updates of the SDK or how the SDK features affects end users.

Nope it doesn't , Amount of tiles which are placed is also same which is around 7.5 small tiles

Apart from browser , there is no place but again you have to zoom for desktop sites on any device.

EDIT : There are accessability settings to adjust font/text and they can even implement it for UI elements , right ?

Since there are no icons on wp8 you don't get a new row of icons like on ios so number of tiles on the start screen means nothing. And you cant expect the number of tile to differ for having a taller resolution.

Of course there is like on the iphone. Look for apps with lists and see new elements in the list on the htc 8x as opposed to the 820.

Depending on how someone choose to make an app. If it is graphically intensive you get nothing by scaling font and it may wrap. So font size was not made as a silver bullet. It helps but not enough. And definitely not in case of touch targets(the elements that have touch functionality).

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
In that case , why did "Ms. Splosion Man" app not working on WP8 ? Oh wait , not every app is backward compatible.

" They had an working game already made for previous devices. They just recompiled they assets to showcase the game on a more powerful Soc. "
For that , they need to test , right ? It ran on iOS 6 and on a newer SoC and on newer screen resolution which means testing is 100% necessary in order to avoid crashes/bugs etc.So definitely they got access to an earlier iPhone 5 prototype/test device.
My point was , there are tonnes of ways to hand over tools to devs and still not get any leaks but MS simply chose not to because they could have "hype" and "rumors".

"As stated new and powerful emulator based on better emulating techniques requirering the newest desktop os. So you can't have SDK(emulator is there) until you have windows 8"
>>Windows 8 was in Beta for months dude , Its not something new in october 2012 , it existed from months back in the form of a preview.There are already millions who had Windows 8 preview running and I am sure devs could have had even more access to its tools if MS allowed it.

"Since there are no icons on wp8 you don't get a new row of icons like on ios so number of tiles on the start screen means nothing. And you cant expect the number of tile to differ for having a taller resolution."
>>Live Tiles are designed for people for seeing updates , so point was to have as much information as possible on glancing the.More tiles means less scrolling and more information on same screen.
Small tiles on WP are basically same as iOS icons where ios icons have badges whereas small tiles have number inside them.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
If this is about the thinnest smartphone, then I think its the Moto Droid Razr, or I think its Athena by Huawei or ZTE, not sure. Still iPhone 5 was claimed to be the worlds thinnest smartphone when it wasn't, then they started to make excuses saying No no no, this is the worlds thinnest iPhone.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
Ding Ding Ding wrong again !!

Look at camera at back which came outside the phone's back.

Here is the pic from link u gave :
http://www.gizchina.com/wp-content/uploads/images/iphone-5-vs-oppo-finder-3-chinese-phones.jpg

EDIT :
Another image for ur satisfaction :
http://android-sale.com/media/catal...08d6e5fb8d27136e95/1/3/1339773747_33032_b.jpg

buddy those are two phones that are thinner than the iPhone. Oppo finder 3 launched in 2011 and then the one in 2012. Get your facts,right. Read the literature and don't go by images. Those were not comic books i,sent you.

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
In that case , why did "Ms. Splosion Man" app not working on WP8 ? Oh wait , not every app is backward compatible.

This is not an app but a game. Games were made in XNA in wp7 just like xbox indie games. This model was superseded by the introduction of full DirectX Stack and support for native code. Such a change can break compatibility. But it's worth it.
The truth about games is that games in XNA are completely and I mean completely incompatible to the way you make games on DirectX. So it's not a case of sdk or anything. It's the case of a simple truth. To move forward you have to cut ties with the past.

" They had an working game already made for previous devices. They just recompiled they assets to showcase the game on a more powerful Soc. "
For that , they need to test , right ? It ran on iOS 6 and on a newer SoC and on newer screen resolution which means testing is 100% necessary in order to avoid crashes/bugs etc.So definitely they got access to an earlier iPhone 5 prototype/test device.
My point was , there are tonnes of ways to hand over tools to devs and still not get any leaks but MS simply chose not to because they could have "hype" and "rumors".

Newer screen resolutions means nothing for a game. Games just simple scale. so the increase in the vertical pixels means nothing for a game. That testing is done in a days in such a case. They did not have access to the iphone 5 earlier than the rest because they did not had to.
You can't have leaks when you launch a new product. MS demonstrated in WP7 that they can launch a compelling mobile experience. Having complete leaks in early summer about a new product that is a reboot not an iteration and can only launch in the begging of November at best means competition can easily steal your thunder and present your ideas before you as belonging to them. Also you have a reboot you need to establish a foothold. You cannot afford to have a hardware launch that everyone knows what it brings or you won't sell anything. IPhone policy is about controlled leaks as is Samsung. MS is in no such position to afford such a thing nor is HTC or Nokia.

"As stated new and powerful emulator based on better emulating techniques requirering the newest desktop os. So you can't have SDK(emulator is there) until you have windows 8"
>>Windows 8 was in Beta for months dude , Its not something new in october 2012 , it existed from months back in the form of a preview.There are already millions who had Windows 8 preview running and I am sure devs could have had even more access to its tools if MS allowed it.

Dude when you will see any company running beta os and using beta machines as their coding machines to write code for any platform then be assured that the IT department is dead and there is no CTO in that company. No one uses beta products as their main machines or they suffer terrible. Beta means not a lockdown on stability and features so using beta is impossible for final solution. Then it's about legality. Beta products can't be used in companies but for specific purposes none of which is running it as you main os and coding in it.

Windows 8 is something new at the end of October 2012 when it was final and the virtualization stack stable. Since you clearly did not experience that period first hand let me tell you that anything you compile against Windows 8 preview do not works against windows 8. You do have differences in API and you will find crashes in apps that were made during community tech preview version of it and the final.

So companies can't legally use that version for coding in it and every software company policy prohibit the use of beta OSs as your main computer. So not possible

"Since there are no icons on wp8 you don't get a new row of icons like on ios so number of tiles on the start screen means nothing. And you cant expect the number of tile to differ for having a taller resolution."
>>Live Tiles are designed for people for seeing updates , so point was to have as much information as possible on glancing the.More tiles means less scrolling and more information on same screen.
Small tiles on WP are basically same as iOS icons where ios icons have badges whereas small tiles have number inside them.

And you also forget the most important aspect of windows phone platform. The metro is not about the volume of information displayed at once. It's about content first. It's about spacing content so it can be easily perceived an. One of commandments in Metro design language is to use space to create flow of information and never be afraid of scroll and never oversaturate the user with chrome or information needleless.

More tiles means harder to read information's on tile so less useful information to the user. So you can't increase the resolution by a factor of 1.5(float value) and expect an increase of an integer value of tiles(2, 3, 4, etc). Tiles have very specific dimensions for a simple reason: Optimizations. Knowing in advance the tile size allows you to make images and to render crisp text for them. Having increase the resolution of the screen from 620 to 920 by a factor of 1.5 you can't have twice the number of tiles on screen. Because you will make them so small you won't be able to read anything on them. But you already know that since you are such a fan of apple products you know that when they increased the resolution in the iphone 4 from the 3g they did not add more icons to the screen. So same principle was applied here.

Again SDK launching when it launched is not a problem for the ecosystem or users. And again it's update speed is not a problem for end users or the ecosystem and I see no reason that you should see problems here.

rbxtreme

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
If this is about the thinnest smartphone, then I think its the Moto Droid Razr, or I think its Athena by Huawei or ZTE, not sure. Still iPhone 5 was claimed to be the worlds thinnest smartphone when it wasn't, then they started to make excuses saying No no no, this is the worlds thinnest iPhone.
absolutely right and when,i present the sheep's with facts from different websites they still deny it. So lets agree to disagree. This thread,is way off track....

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
This thread has run its course with about 3 pages worth of off topic posts. I hope we've satisfactorily discussed and concluded whatever we had to for 1GB RAM requirement. Let's move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa