Windows XP Woes

Ingrowth

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Hello All,

I recently purchased a Samsung ATVI S, which is an amazing phone. However it is not recognized by my computer which is running on Windows XP.
I have tried using all the tips given at the Windows Phone website, however the drivers at Windows/Inf that I am supposed to install are not to be found.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to fix this?

Thanks

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
Don't know if you found this or not from the windowsphone site. Maybe it will help.

[h=3]Note[/h] If you connect your phone to a PC running Windows XP, your PC may mistakenly ask you to install software that isn't available. If you get this wizard, click Cancel – you do not need to install the software. You'll then be able to use File Explorer to move files between your phone and your computer.

DaveGx

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know, you cant use Windows XP at all for a WP8 device. I know ive tried and file explorer didnt even work correctly. There are a ton of businesses that still use Windows XP and that shouldve been taken into account to at least allow file explorer to work properly.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
As far as I know, you cant use Windows XP at all for a WP8 device

Buzzzzzzzzz....wrong. While you can only sync to your PC via the Windows Phone App for Desktop(available only for W7/W8), you can drag-drop files to the WP8 device which shows as a USB storage device in your C drive. I know b/c I do it all the time.

Sync music, ringtones, and podcasts using my computer | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
---------------------------
Use File Explorer (Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP)
If you simply want to move your music from one place to another, the easiest way is to use File Explorer (called Windows Explorer in some versions of Windows).

To add music or ringtones
Do the following:
1. If you're using Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP, open Windows Explorer from the taskbar.
2. Under Computer, click your phone's name, and then click Phone.
3. To move files between your phone and your PC, right-click the file you want to copy and click Copy.
4.Right-click in the folder you want to move the file to and click Paste. If you're adding music or ringtones to your phone, put the file in the Music or Ringtones folder so your phone will be able to find it.

Note
If you connect your phone to a PC running Windows XP, your PC may mistakenly ask you to install software that isn't available. If you get this wizard, click Cancel—you don't need to install the software. You'll then be able to use Windows Explorer to move files between your phone and your computer.
-------------------------------

To the OP....as far as difficulty of your PC recognizing your wp8 device....you might try a different USB outlet at your PC, try a different USB connector cord from phone to PC. Either of these are frequent causes for PC-device interaction problems...not just with phones.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ingrowth

Mar 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses. I have decided to come to terms with having to use Windows Explorer to transfer files. Problem is that the phone is recognized but no folders found. I just have an empty folder for the device with nowhere to put the files. Any ideas?

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
You've already tried a 'soft' reset of your phone, right? (Hold Power + Vol down for 10 secs or so until it buzzes)

Your folders may be hidden for some reason. To show hidden folders in XP....
Tools | Folders Options | View
under 'Files and Folders', 'Hidden files and folders', check radio button for: 'show hidden files and folders'
'Ok' your way out
If you do find any 'hidden' files, then right-click | Properties .....uncheck 'hidden' in attributes.
Maybe that will work for you

If not and you want to try further...then maybe this MS Support KB will help:
Windows Phone 8 is not detected by your computer
Try item #3 (update driver). Note: your phone will need to be connected to PC for it to show up as a 'portable device'
I've not gone thru this process tho as my phone is recognized. Good luck

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
On my XP box, the phone shows up in explorer without folders. Once I doubleclick the phone icon I get phone storage and sdcard folders

GraemeT

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Ingrowth, it's not just you. I'm in the same situation with exactly the same problem (as I've posted previously). However, I'm giving up on XP. My XP desktop has become a dog, particularly IE8 (which is the latest IE for us). I've always liked XP but MS is clearly pushing us away from it and as stated support for it ends next year.

I'm off out later today to look at Windows 8 ultrabooks, slightly reluctantly but technology moves on. I'm quite excited about having a Windows 8 device. At least I'll be able to do stuff with my phone on it.

pmhgeneral

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Buzzzzzzzzz....wrong. While you can only sync to your PC via the Windows Phone App for Desktop(available only for W7/W8), you can drag-drop files to the WP8 device which shows as a USB storage device in your C drive. I know b/c I do it all the time.

Sync music, ringtones, and podcasts using my computer | Windows Phone How-to (United States)
---------------------------
Use File Explorer (Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Vista, and Windows XP)
If you simply want to move your music from one place to another, the easiest way is to use File Explorer (called Windows Explorer in some versions of Windows).

To add music or ringtones
Do the following:
1. If you're using Windows 7, Windows Vista, or Windows XP, open Windows Explorer from the taskbar.
2. Under Computer, click your phone's name, and then click Phone.
3. To move files between your phone and your PC, right-click the file you want to copy and click Copy.
4.Right-click in the folder you want to move the file to and click Paste. If you're adding music or ringtones to your phone, put the file in the Music or Ringtones folder so your phone will be able to find it.

Note
If you connect your phone to a PC running Windows XP, your PC may mistakenly ask you to install software that isn't available. If you get this wizard, click Cancel—you don't need to install the software. You'll then be able to use Windows Explorer to move files between your phone and your computer.
-------------------------------

To the OP....as far as difficulty of your PC recognizing your wp8 device....you might try a different USB outlet at your PC, try a different USB connector cord from phone to PC. Either of these are frequent causes for PC-device interaction problems...not just with phones.
Thank you for a great answer.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the quick responses. I have decided to come to terms with having to use Windows Explorer to transfer files. Problem is that the phone is recognized but no folders found. I just have an empty folder for the device with nowhere to put the files. Any ideas?

For whatever reason, may it be a missed windows update, corrupted old OS and other possibility, XP, or at least your copy of XP is not working for you.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss