So what exactly is a "bad IMEI" or blacklisted IMEI?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Does this mean it only will not work on it's home carrier? Or does this mean it won't work on ANY carrier? Does it turn off any features of the phone? Or how about if you use it on a different carrier and then try to roam on it's native carrier, will that work?

Someone offered me a blacklisted phone and I'm a bit confused as to what EXACTLY it's limitations are...

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The device has been reported lost or stolen. Most likely the device will not be able to be activated on any network. You don't want to buy that device.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
You see, that's the thing. I see all kinds of conflicting info everywhere. Some say it only won't work on it's home carrier, but will work for all other carriers. Some say it won't work on ANY carriers. In this case, it's an 810 blacklisted on T-mobile, and I want to use it on Speakout/Rogers in Canada. So I'm hoping that someone knows the FINAL ANSWER, and not just speculation.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Final answer: it will not work unless its flashed (cdma) or it won't work at all. If it was a GSM you could've bought an unlock code to make it work,but now you cant do that.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Final answer: it will not work unless its flashed (cdma) or it won't work at all. If it was a GSM you could've bought an unlock code to make it work,but now you cant do that.

I haven't actually bought the phone. I just never heard of a bad imei and was wondering what it was before I decided one way or the other. So no go on it working on other networks, huh?

ChMar

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Does that automatically make it stolen? I was told it could be as simple as someone who lost their phone, or couldn't make the payments.

Stolen means stolen, lost and not sending it to police still means stolen, inability to make up payments you agreed to still means stolen. So stay away from it you won't be able to use at all as a phone.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Does that automatically make it stolen? I was told it could be as simple as someone who lost their phone, or couldn't make the payments.

Of course there are multiple reasons why it has a bad IMEI, but the seller doesn't tell you why, they just say, "The iPhone has a BAD IMEI meaning that it cannot be used in the United States period. It will be good however for GSM networks in other countries. There will be no returns for this item what so ever with zero exceptions. PAYMENT DUE IMMEDIATLY". I can't believe that eBay allows listings like that, or maybe eBay is currently working with the government on phone thefts and allowing it right now to bust people.

Sorry, but I have to close this thread because it borders on illegal activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett