Google Calendar on Windows Phone 8 (still possible?)

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
So recently I've had the opportunity to possibly upgrade my trusty HTC Trophy Windows Phone 7.5 to a Nokia Lumia 822 through my plan at Verizon. However I know recently something changed between Microsoft and Google concerning some sort of syncing technology. I avidly use my Google Calendars with my Windows Phone (this isn't a changeable option, I have to use Google) and I wanted to double check do Google Calendars still sync properly to Windows Phone 8 with the recent changes? (I believe they dropped support for EAS or something). I want to get a new phone but it would destroy a lot of use for my smart phone if I put in my Google credentials and my calendar no longer worked on my phone. As this is now the case with Windows 8 on my laptop and I was quite frustrated with that. Do Google Calendars still work if Google credentials are added fresh to a Windows 8 phone?

pillswoj

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
You say you "have to" use google, why? Is this a business google account? If so then ActiveSync is still supported, it is only the free google that dropped activsync support.

TrophyNostalgia

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
It was announced that Google Calendar would continue working on WP via the normal method (EAS) until July when it would switch to calDAV support. Your Google Calendar will work just fine in the built-in Calendar app.

Syncing Google services with Windows Phone

So now I'm confused because I have received mixed answers, some saying it will and others saying it won't work. Typically I don't use Google except heavily for this email and calendar account. I have to use it because it is attached to my college email account. (Google is used by my college for their calendar and email systems, so no I can't change that) it's a .edu account on the Google servers.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So now I'm confused because I have received mixed answers, some saying it will and others saying it won't work.

Google EAS support (which is required currently to support calendar sync) is still active until this summer. However, if you are setting up a new device, it will not work because EAS for new device setup has been disabled since 1/31/2013. Only existing account and existing devices work.

CalDAV API will also soon no longer be supported by recent announcement of Google. Only existing developers can continue to use this API. Fortunately, MS is one of the current developer for Google CalDAV API. But it is unclear what is Microsoft's next move after EAS support is dropped by Google. In latest Windows 8 update, Microsoft did the following:
1. Removed Google Calendar support in its Calendar app completely regardless if you can still sync with Google or not.
2. Add Google contacts sync to your Hotmail/Outllook account
3. Switched Gmail sync to IMAP.

I sense Microsoft is playing hard ball with Google by remove support of Google Account in Windows 8 desktop OS early.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Google EAS support (which is required currently to support calendar sync) is still active until this summer. However, if you are setting up a new device, it will not work because EAS for new device setup has been disabled since 1/31/2013. Only existing account and existing devices work.

CalDAV API will also soon no longer be supported by recent announcement of Google. Only existing developers can continue to use this API. Fortunately, MS is one of the current developer for Google CalDAV API. But it is unclear what is Microsoft's next move after EAS support is dropped by Google. In latest Windows 8 update, Microsoft did the following:
1. Removed Google Calendar support in its Calendar app completely regardless if you can still sync with Google or not.
2. Add Google contacts sync to your Hotmail/Outllook account
3. Switched Gmail sync to IMAP.

I sense Microsoft is playing hard ball with Google by remove support of Google Account in Windows 8 desktop OS early.

I don't think that's quite right. This blog: Syncing Google services with Windows Phone (from the Windows website) says:

You may have seen a recent announcement from Google regarding changes to the Google Sync service used to connect devices to Google services (Google Sync utilizes the Exchange ActiveSync, or EAS, protocol from Microsoft to synchronize email, contacts, and calendar). We’re happy to share today that Google will extend their support for new Windows Phone connections via Google Sync until July 31, 2013.

travis_valkyrie

Jan 3, 2012
Visit site
It will still work, a few days ago I got a notification on my windows 8 laptop that my uni account (which uses Gmail) has dropped support for EAS and prompted my password to sign back into,it still works. On my Lumia 820, it did prompt me for my password too. I can still make tasks and change appointments as if nothings changed.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I use google for personal contacts and some calendar. It syncs with my 8x perfectly. Am I missing something here?
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I don't think that's quite right. This blog: Syncing Google services with Windows Phone (from the Windows website) says:
That's really old news. And not contradicting what I said. I tried to add my existing Google account to a new PC a few week ago and get connection errors right away from google even though I already have the same account sync just fine on two other Win8 PCs. Of course, now, after the update, you don't even get the chance to do it any more.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I use google for personal contacts and some calendar. It syncs with my 8x perfectly. Am I missing something here?

1. You probably added it to your phone before 1/31/2013. Now if you hard reset or switch to a new phone, you will see what we're talking about.
2. After this summer, your contacts and calendar will no longer sync unless Microsoft release something to handle that.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
I added the account last year but I've done a factory reset since 1/31/13. The google account still works.

Al_2

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
That's really old news. And not contradicting what I said. I tried to add my existing Google account to a new PC a few week ago and get connection errors right away from google even though I already have the same account sync just fine on two other Win8 PCs. Of course, now, after the update, you don't even get the chance to do it any more.

The article I linked to is still current and refers to the situation for Windows Phone. The situation for Windows 8/RT is quite different, which seems to be what you're referring to.

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The article I linked to is still current and refers to the situation for Windows Phone. The situation for Windows 8/RT is quite different, which seems to be what you're referring to.

What I am saying is that MS hasn't said anything about how to deal with it after July 31, 2013 on WP8. Now CalDAV will also sunset after 9/2013, whatever everybody was speculating last year are no longer valid. I'm just speculating what happens to Windows 8 desktop could be exactly what will happen to WP8 after 7/31/2013.

And it certainly doesn't help any new WP8 users who just bought the fancy new phone after 1/31/2013.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
What I am saying is that MS hasn't said anything about how to deal with it after July 31, 2013 on WP8.
They have publicly stated that they are going to add CalDAV support in Windows Phone, which will continue to work indefinitely.

it certainly doesn't help any new WP8 users who just bought the fancy new phone after 1/31/2013.
You can still connect your Google calendar to your Windows Phone. Right now.

oryan_dunn

May 14, 2013
Visit site
+1
Just add the account.

And if you're resourceful enough, you can get any secondary/shared calendars on your Google acct to work, as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

What do you mean by resourceful enough? I need to get my shared google calendars on my device, but can't figure out how. My family members use google calendars, and I need to be able to see their calendars on my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett