iPhone 5 to WP8

Aditya Phulwani

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I've never owned a iPhone, but i do have an iPad and an iPod Touch, so i pretty much know the deal. I now have the 920 for a little more than a month, and i think it is the most amazing phone ever. Not because its mine, No. I really really mean it. It is an absolute blast.
Looking at your list of things you usually use on your phone, im pretty sure you'll be covered except for Tumblr. Otherwise the FB integration, the twitter app, e-mail, all are excellent to say the least.
And the best part and the most heavily applauded part(and deservedly so) is the camera. I cannot tell you how awesome it is, you'll need to buy the phone to check it out. Ill just tell you this, ive never really dug photography earlier, but since i have this phone, im suddenly majorly attracted to taking up photography as a hobby. I absolutely love taking pictures and playing around with it. There are amazing camera lenses and editing app's available that make the experience even better.

All in all, just buy the 920(or probably wait for the 928), dont think too much about it.

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I have spent a few days doing a search about this subject. I have been a lurker here for awhile and I enjoy the site. I figured I might get lambasted if I ask this question, but what the heck...if it helps me make up my mind, its worth it!

Here is my background. I currently have an iPhone 5. My first smartphone was a iPhone 3 about 6 months after it was released. I LOVED it! I upgraded to iPhone 4 shortly after that was released. Whe n WP7 was released, I decided to give it a shot (I have a family of 5 and we all have phones...IK used one of my kids upgrades hehe). I took it home and LOVED the UI, but after 2 or 3 days, some of the small things started bothering me. Such as no custom ring tones, couldn't send MMS, poor call quality. I turned it back in and went back to the iPhone, which was sad because I really likes the Metro UI. Now WP8 is here and there are 2 phones that I am currently looking at if I wast to return to the WP8. The Lumia 920 and the HTC 8x. I need help on which one to get. One thing is certain, however, I AM leaving iOS soon.

Here are what I use the most on my iPhone 5.

- Google Maps and Apples new proprietary maps
Not on this platform, it is with a 3rd party application, but HERE maps is excellent.
- Gmail and Hotmail
There is no app but it is all done through the email client. There are no advanced options like the GMail app. You can't label or anything. It is good just for basic email things though.
- Camera and Photos
I had a 920 as a daily driver and while the camera was good, I was constantly attempted to get a good picture. It was usually soft. No experience with 8X
- Weather Apps
Plenty of excellent options here
- iTunes and App Store
No iTunes support but the WP8 client does detect playlists and imports them. There are issues sometimes with it unable to import songs and it doesn't import the majority of the artwork.
- Soundhound
Excellent support
- Flixster
Excellent support but you cannot stream movies
- Facebook
It's ok. It doesn't alert you to messages.
- Twitter
Used Rowi Lite and it was ok
- Tumblr
Not sure
- Netflix
Good and they recently updated it

I don't usually have movies on my phone although I do have 3 on my iPhone at this time. I have the 32GB version and I have 18GB available, more if I take the movies off. Photo quality is nice but not the end all be all for me. I would like the phone to be "future proof" for up to a year if you know what I mean. I am a casual user but I always have my phone with me, mostly for internet and checking mail. I also use the maps quiet often, because I just moved from NM to FL.
If you have a bunch of purchased iTunes movies, they will not import. They have DRM.
Now, based on the above info, which I hope is enough for good advice, which phone would I be most happy with? I like the way the THC 8x looks and feels, but the Lumia just seems to have a little more "gadgets".
Both feel nice and both have their own share of problems. My advice is that you recognize that Nokia is doing all that it can to support their phones so you will be getting updates up the wazoo and Nokia exclusives. HTC does not support their hardware and 8X, 8S users have benefited because Nokia has released their HERE series to those people.
Thanks for everything. I know this is my first post but I hope there will be many more once I make my decision!

jomarr

Sep 12, 2012
Visit site
Same problem but now what's holding me back is the battery life. The 5 gives me a day and a half or two consistently. The 920 looks like it's having battery issues initially. I hope people would give me more opinions about the battery life since that's the only thing holding me back.

I am also going to WPCentral more than I do on other Apple forums so I pay my iPhone dust and Windows Phone more interest so I'm sure I WANT a 920 but the battery life is a major hold back for me.

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
Oh man...decisions decisions.

The funny thing is that I have NEVER gone to the iPhone Apple forums. Once I found this site, I have been on it several times a day. But this is what I do. When I am interested in something, I research the heck out of it. usually, the decisions I make are pretty clear cut, but in this case, I am seriously having a hard time making up my mind.

Both phones look appealing to me. The 8x just looks fantastic (especially the blue) and I like the coating the 8x has. I like the Nokia apps that are on the 920 (AT&T) and screen resolution. I also like the fact that Nokia is trying support their phones (from what I have read here). I know I would be happy with either, but one of the things that I hate is making a decision, then really resenting my decision and then wanting the one I didn't choose. My wife still makes fun of me when I talk about my WP7 debacle.

I am soooo torn!

admorris#AC

Apr 22, 2012
Visit site
Oh man...decisions decisions.

The funny thing is that I have NEVER gone to the iPhone Apple forums. Once I found this site, I have been on it several times a day. But this is what I do. When I am interested in something, I research the heck out of it. usually, the decisions I make are pretty clear cut, but in this case, I am seriously having a hard time making up my mind.

Both phones look appealing to me. The 8x just looks fantastic (especially the blue) and I like the coating the 8x has. I like the Nokia apps that are on the 920 (AT&T) and screen resolution. I also like the fact that Nokia is trying support their phones (from what I have read here). I know I would be happy with either, but one of the things that I hate is making a decision, then really resenting my decision and then wanting the one I didn't choose. My wife still makes fun of me when I talk about my WP7 debacle.

I am soooo torn!

I can almost guarantee that you'll regret buying the 8x if you go that route. There is literally no advantage that phone has over the 920...not one.

rocketboy

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
920 owner. I like the weight of the 920 but it is just a tad wider than optimal for my hands. I'd take a Nokia in the 8x form factor with the 920 weight ideally. I'm finding the Nokia maps and drive to be very solid. Better than the Bing equivalent in WP7. I have some dust but the battery has been strong and easily making it through a day for me. I believe I have some of the recent connectivity issues but not consistently more than what I experienced on my HTC HD7.

I went with Nokia because of the brand and their support of WP. Truth be told though it took the free L920 offer from MS store to get me on WP8. I'm glad I made the jump, but I'm still surprised how modern and fully functional WP 7.5 continued to be. Pity TMo didn't see fit to take us to 7.8.

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
More tally marks for the 920 it looks like. I have an upgrade that I can use right now (5 iPhones in my family) and another in October I believe. My daughter wants the Samsun Galaxy S3 so I think she will be getting one of the upgrades.

It looks as though my mind has been made up and I will go with the 920 without hesitation. However, my next problem is should I wait for the next upgrade (October), and see if a new Lumia is announced for ATT, or should I jump in now? Does anyonbe know of anything in the works from Nokia regarding the next level of the 920 coming up for ATT?

jrlive

Mar 6, 2013
Visit site
Same problem but now what's holding me back is the battery life. The 5 gives me a day and a half or two consistently. The 920 looks like it's having battery issues initially. I hope people would give me more opinions about the battery life since that's the only thing holding me back.

I am also going to WPCentral more than I do on other Apple forums so I pay my iPhone dust and Windows Phone more interest so I'm sure I WANT a 920 but the battery life is a major hold back for me.

Battery will last a day and a half with normal usage.
Obviously if you stream video not stop you will only get a few hrs.
Since I learned the little tricks to extend battery life I have not had a problem. There are plenty of threads on the battery which you can look through to get more info, but here is a view of percentage per hour on my 920. I would say I am a moderate user.. average music, browsing, video during the day.

wp_ss_20130405_0002.png

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Love this thread...very good information!

I was all ramped up to get a Windows phone late last year, but I wasn't too happy with the choices from Verizon, which I'd have to use in my area due to coverage. I loved the 920, but I just couldn't switch to AT&T, so I decided to just wait it out.

I have been using an older Android phone on my regional carrier, and it really had turned me off towards Android. No updates to the latest software, glitchy performance and other issues, so I was all aboard for a good Windows phone.

During this waiting period, I was given an iPad at work. I already had an older iPod touch (2nd gen), and I'm pretty familiar with all of the Apple stuff, but I had pretty much decided on a windows phone, with an Apple device running third behind maybe another Android....but...this iPad has put a little doubt back in my mind. The thing that has frustrated me with my Android phone is just how bad the performance can be, and how convoluted it can be to do certain things that should be easy.

Since messing around with this iPad, the Apple stuff has gained a little good grace from me again. Pretty much all of my friends have iPhones, and basically, they just work how they should. And since getting the iPad and seeing how easily everything within that ecosystem behaves with each other, it really is awfully tempting to give them another look, especially if they do something to make iOS 7 look better and add a camera that is as good as the 920. The iMessage feature, for one, is just awfully handy.

On the other hand, another feature that has really impressed me, the quality of the apps on the iPad, is one that I have to remember is largely as enjoyable as it is BECAUSE it is on the iPad...on a phone, the apps I'll want/need/use will be much different.

I'm also a Gmail and Google Plus user, and I was blown away by how impressive those apps are on the iPad. And there's a rumor of Google Now making its way on to the Apple devices soon, living inside the Google search app, which is pretty slick itself.

I know by moving to a Windows phone, i'm NEVER going to get any Google developed apps for my device, which is something that kind of stinks, but I think i could live with. I feel like I can find ways to work around this issue, using the iPad to fill in the gaps.

Anyway, those are just a few of my thoughts on it, and I'm loving the information that is being shared in this thread. It certainly helps people who are thinking about switching make a much more informed decision!

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
well if you are choosing HTC 8x just because of the looks, then you have to know that the soft coating picks up dust real easily and it can be stained by your clothing, especially black, in a few weeks according to various reports I read on the 8X forum. also, the new 1280x720 resolution of the 8X may be at odds with legacy and new apps support.

as for your daughter's upgrade, why aren't u getting her a Galaxy S4? :p

as for AT&T, the 920 will be its flagship till May

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
There is such a great amount of info being passed along, and I LOVE it.

I was actually talking to my wife, wifes friend, and owners of the company I work for when I mentioned the WP8 phone. My wifes friend said that she knows a girl who hates it because of some glitches she has been getting. I dont know what WP she has (7.8, 7, 8) or what phone she has and I don't know all the glitches she has, but the main one that was listed was that this womans phone randomly reboots. Kind of scared me when I heard this, and I am already aware of some of the "glitches" that are happening...

Then the owner chimed in and said she wont allow a Windows phone as her employee (she pays for my phone bill, but not my phone. She is a total Apple soldier and I was having a hard time figuring out if she was joking or serious. I am leaning that she was serious).

wpnewbie

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Maps-Nokia maps-fully offline
Gmail&Hotmail work great-maybe Gmail contacts and calendar will not work in future. Works perfect as of today
Camera and photos are very good
Multiple good weather apps
iTunes conversions is possible, since February it's been raining apps in apps store .. Never been this good
All remaining apps you use are available

shpepin

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
I got the 8x about a month ago and had to switch to the Lumia 920 for three reasons. Reason the first: despite it having great speakers for music with beats audio, the speaker phone is garbage, I can't hear the person and they can't hear me..at all. Reason the second: the camera is mediocre at best and with the Lumia 920 one of the best why sacrifice. Last reason, the storage issue is a real issue in wp8 and with 16gb on the 8x there is max 16gb and with the "other" storage fiasco still ongoing it takes a substantial part of that. The one and only reason I initially opted for the 8x was because of its dimensions compared to the 920, but it quickly got outweighed by the benefits. A lot of people also talk about the native Nokia apps, I don't really care so much about that aspect so I'll disregard that.

Last edited:

medicin3man

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
well if you are choosing HTC 8x just because of the looks, then you have to know that the soft coating picks up dust real easily and it can be stained by your clothing, especially black, in a few weeks according to various reports I read on the 8X forum. also, the new 1280x720 resolution of the 8X may be at odds with legacy and new apps support.

as for your daughter's upgrade, why aren't u getting her a Galaxy S4? :p

as for AT&T, the 920 will be its flagship till May

My daughter said she wanted the S3, but I have convinced her to wait until the S4 gets released so we can make a better decision.

What will be the flagship ATT WP8 phone after May?