Back to WP8......Possibly

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
When WP8 was first released on Verizon in November I had the Lumia 822 but for Verizon related issues I had to return it. Then in December I got an iPhone 5 because there were a few things with WP8 I didn't like. I have the opportunity to get a Lumia 822 for a decent price and am curious if the things I didn't like had been corrected with the update.

-The volume 'volume' was the same for music, ringtones, calls....everything. On my iPhone and Android phones the music volume and the ringer volume was separate.

-When I had the Lumia 822 I could not save texts as drafts, it was either send or it gets deleted.

-I've heard all about the Google/Microsoft battling, can I connect my Gmail account with contacts and calendar to a WP8?

-Generally has the app support come up? Are the apps getting to be better quality?

-Is it possible to somehow connect a WP8 to a computer for it to play media off the computer?

Also is there anything else new that has come about since it was first released? I really want to try WP8 again but am trying to decide if it's worth spending the money. If there is a Google Voice app that would be excellent. Thanks for all the help.

usnberry

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
I would say stick to the iPhone.

'One volume to rule them all' is still there, but I have no problem syncing with Google for mail/cal/contacts.

I actually really like the apps on WP, love the unlimited free trials, Nokia apps are awesome, and the top 50 is growing. Sounds like Instagram is coming out soon, free Premium Pandora for 2013, XBox live integration... Basically, its coming along nicely.

Great screen, Live Tiles, and great camera.

Wait a year and then get a Nokia 1020.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

jrdatrackstar1223

Aug 15, 2011
Visit site
I was in the same boat. I got an 820, found my way into a 920, and both had way too many bugs for me (people couldn't hear me on calls, music would skip, freeze, make screech noises, etc). I went to a 4s for 2 months and just couldn't take it anymore (and I refuse Android because that UI is even uglier). Came back to Windows Phone 8 and found a Lumia 920, red, for 300 (brand new refurb on craigslist). I must have had lemons with my first 3 devices, because this one has outstanding build quality (minus the screen, which already has a scratch from NOTHING...really pissed about that....), and although there are some annoyances still there, the app situation has gotten a lot better IMHO, and you can really see/feel the interest in Windows Phone growing and finally picking up...I would say it depends on what you can handle everyday. Did the iPhone have more apps for me...? Yes. Did the iPhone have "less bugs"...? Yes. Was it something that I could use everyday, despite being "perfect"....? Heck no. The phone had (minus NFC) EVERYTHING I wanted in a phone, except for a gorgeous UI/UX (believe it or not, using iOS was actually HARDER and MORE TIME CONSUMING than using Windows Phone for me...). For me, that was enough to go back to Windows Phone and find 3rd party apps, or workarounds, while waiting for new stuff to come, and to just deal with the bugs. I've had some annoyances since coming back, but my past experience with iOS immediately pops back in my head, leading me to think: "Heck, it could always be worse....".

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
When WP8 was first released on Verizon in November I had the Lumia 822 but for Verizon related issues I had to return it. Then in December I got an iPhone 5 because there were a few things with WP8 I didn't like. I have the opportunity to get a Lumia 822 for a decent price and am curious if the things I didn't like had been corrected with the update.

-The volume 'volume' was the same for music, ringtones, calls....everything. On my iPhone and Android phones the music volume and the ringer volume was separate.

-When I had the Lumia 822 I could not save texts as drafts, it was either send or it gets deleted.

-I've heard all about the Google/Microsoft battling, can I connect my Gmail account with contacts and calendar to a WP8?

-Generally has the app support come up? Are the apps getting to be better quality?

-Is it possible to somehow connect a WP8 to a computer for it to play media off the computer?

Also is there anything else new that has come about since it was first released? I really want to try WP8 again but am trying to decide if it's worth spending the money. If there is a Google Voice app that would be excellent. Thanks for all the help.
volume is still one level for all.

Yea, you can save texts as drafts now.

I still use.my.gmail to connect.my outlook.

Apps are getting better, in my opinion.

And don't know about.connecting. But.will try that.
Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express

Sanjay Chandra

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
Well , I personally prefer both iOS and WP8 both are good in their own ways.

I think by next update , WP would be near to perfect.

It still doesn't have orientation lock , laggy music player , other storage issue etc.
iOS also has a share of its own issues.

As far as current scenario goes , don't buy anything.
Wait for next generation Lumia.

If u cant wait , you can always try Nexus 4 which has stock android which is cheap and also UI is clean and nice.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
Well , I personally prefer both iOS and WP8 both are good in their own ways.

I think by next update , WP would be near to perfect.

It still doesn't have orientation lock , laggy music player , other storage issue etc.
iOS also has a share of its own issues.

As far as current scenario goes , don't buy anything.
Wait for next generation Lumia.

If u cant wait , you can always try Nexus 4 which has stock android which is cheap and also UI is clean and nice.

I would have a Nexus 4 except it is not supported by Verizon and none of the GSM carriers work in my area.

Same thing with the next gen Lumia, I can get the 822 for under $200. I bet the next gen Lumia will be nowhere near that.

thatotherdude24

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
volume is still one level for all.

Yea, you can save texts as drafts now.

I still use.my.gmail to connect.my outlook.

Apps are getting better, in my opinion.

And don't know about.connecting. But.will try that.
Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express

What do you mean by you still use gmail to connect to outlook?

conanheath

Sep 10, 2012
Visit site
Nothing has changed since day one. We got persistent WiFi. Woohoo. That's it. MS is waiting for pigs to fly before we receive any more basic features.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
My wife uses outlook at home to schedule calendar and emails. I have told gmail to copy that outlook and send it to my phone. Of course emails are still sent via outlook, but I get my calender wireless via the cloud.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes