Next major windows phone update and what you want in it.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
I think there are already a ton of threads on this, and this one could very well be closed and/or merged into another one, but I'll comment a few things that would make me super happy:

+Vibrate AND ring. As in, keep vibrating while the phone ringtone is playing. Really tired of this current vibrate THEN ring thing going on... it can make it hard for me to catch a call sometimes.
+A way to view missed toasts or an option to keep them on screen until they're dismissed. This will save me frustration.
+Allow apps to overlay their data on existing wallpaper (i.e. I want my 5-day weather forecast and current temps right on top of a rotating wallpaper app)

highly agree with the first 2 points
the 3rd point (bolded) is possible with Amazing Weather HD

Sean D.

Aug 18, 2008
Visit site
My only thing with that (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is you're only going to download a few types of files... documents/pdf, music, video, photos
Documents are in Office.
PDF's open with a PDF viewer (which sucks that you can't actually save them)
Pictures go to the photo hub.
Music/Video go to the music hub.

So knowing that things are broken down like that is a file manager really necessary?

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
highly agree with the first 2 points
the 3rd point (bolded) is possible with Amazing Weather HD
No no, a separate rotating wallpaper app BEHIND the weather data. I know Amazing Weather HD can choose between Bing and your own wallpaper. What if I want to give control to NASA Image of the Day, or Locksider? I would lose my ability to see the weather forecast. For 'background' in the settings menu of WP8, you can only choose one app at a time to control your lockscreen. It would be neat to be able to use Amazing Weather's forecast as a "widget" on top of ANOTHER app's background/lockscreen option.

I should have been more clear, sorry.

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site
My only thing with that (and please correct me if I'm wrong) is you're only going to download a few types of files... documents/pdf, music, video, photos
Documents are in Office.

So knowing that things are broken down like that is a file manager really necessary?
I'm not sure about others who wanted a file manager, but for me, I can think of at least one specific situation: Downloading attachments in an email before saving them. Before you have the option to save an attachment of - say - a photo, you have to download it to the phone. THEN you save it, and the saved files go to the photo hub. The downloaded files that weren't saved to your photo hub take up space in Other and don't seem to go away, so with a file manager you could navigate over to a "Downloaded Temp files" folder and delete it.

Oh yeah, and the people who have had files transferred to their phone via NFC or Bluetooth or whatever and couldn't find them in any of their hubs (i.e. lost)... you could find them using a file manager.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
Documents are in Office.

Aside from those, I download the following:
.xap for apps
.gba, .gbc, .snes for emulation
various media file types that are incompatible with the music + videos hub
.zip files (avid manga reader)
So yes, a file manager (with the OS hidden in a separate portion) is also something I need.

Aggemam

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Many good suggestions so far. I'd like to add a wider range of notification/sms sounds, or even better, custom/user made sounds. Additional tile color options. What I miss the most though, is T9 input.

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I see many people mention a notification centre. I still don't get this. Live tiles are your notification centre. Everything I need to know is pinned to my start screen and updates accordingly. On top of this I have notifications on my lock screen. The only additional benefit I could see would be to have more than 6 options for the lock screen, say 2 rows giving a total of 12, and maybe a screen/tile which keeps a list of toast notifications, apart from that, am I missing something when people mention/ask for a notification centre?

Joe920

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Oddly my main wish is one that I haven't seen requested a lot, maybe because I'm using the mail app wrong? I want an easier way to view multiple images in an email. When I get an email with 10 images, I have to tap to view each one. The way iOS does this is a little better: I think there you still needed to tap on large images, but at least you get an in-line view of any selected images. Ideally MS would set some limit, like 'auto download attached images up to x MB total per email' or so.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I forgot to mention a system restore point to restore the phone back to the previous version in case an update like the new Nokia update goes wrong...

Also, more use of the screen real estate, esp during texting

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I see many people mention a notification centre. I still don't get this. Live tiles are your notification centre. Everything I need to know is pinned to my start screen and updates accordingly. On top of this I have notifications on my lock screen. The only additional benefit I could see would be to have more than 6 options for the lock screen, say 2 rows giving a total of 12, and maybe a screen/tile which keeps a list of toast notifications, apart from that, am I missing something when people mention/ask for a notification centre?

The logic behind the clamor for both a notification centre and Instagram is the same: "it is on the other platforms and we are used to it, so we want it on WP8 too."

It is was the app loving, familiarity seeking horde wants. Both are coming to WP soon, no matter how logically you can explain away the need nit to have either present...

MF73

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
The logic behind the clamor for both a notification centre and Instagram is the same: "it is on the other platforms and we are used to it, so we want it on WP8 too."

It is was the app loving, familiarity seeking horde wants. Both are coming to WP soon, no matter how logically you can explain away the need nit to have either present...

I can understand the want for Instagram, maybe not the hysteria but certainly the want as it is a standalone app. My question on the notification is why. I have moved from being an Android owner for 4 years. Yes that had a notification centre, but the OS was completely different. WP* works very different, in a sense the notification is already built in just in a different form, live tiles. For me this is a vast improvement on how I use and gain information from my phone over Android. Maybe some people are still struggling with the concept after moving over from iOS or Android. For me it vastly superior in how it presents live data.

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
Fix Xbox Music so it is, at the very least, as good as Zune was and restore the phone syncing with the Zune PC software.

And, please don't reduce any other functionality.

MSFTisMIA

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I can understand the want for Instagram, maybe not the hysteria but certainly the want as it is a standalone app. My question on the notification is why. I have moved from being an Android owner for 4 years. Yes that had a notification centre, but the OS was completely different. WP* works very different, in a sense the notification is already built in just in a different form, live tiles. For me this is a vast improvement on how I use and gain information from my phone over Android. Maybe some people are still struggling with the concept after moving over from iOS or Android. For me it vastly superior in how it presents live data.

Consumers ate creatures of habit who like things that they've gotten used to. Remember, iOS took the notification centre idea from Android after many iSheep (the small rabid band of Apple users, since not everyone who uses Apple stuff are iSheep) complained about that being missing. So it is natural to get others to convert from iOS pr Android, MSFT has to put a notification centre in. Yes, Live Tiles make sense and you can argue are better at handling data so you can put your phone down and get back to what you were doing before. But, it is stuck in the mind of the consumer MSFT wants to buy WP that they need a notification centre. so MSFT will oblige, eventually, much to our chagrin.

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Here are the fixes and additions I am hoping to see immediately or as soon as possible in the next waves of Windows Phone updates:

1. Notification Center
  2. Notification Center
  3. Notification Center
  4. Check for Updates option, on the Store. Auto update option for specific Apps is also needed.
  5. Separate Sound Profiles, for Ring/Notification Sounds, Media Sounds and Calls
  6. Full Control of Bluetooth Accessories and their sound Profiles. ex. My Bluetooth headset supports call and media sounds and when I have it connected all media sounds play there too including videos. When I want it only for voicecalls I need to be able to turn off media sounds. I do not want to hear a video clip sound from my mono headset and I need to be able to do it without turning the headset off. Android handles this perfectly.
  7. Set Application as Defaults. Whats the point of having Twitter/MetroTube App or any other App and links related with this App are directing to browser? Default App handling needs to be added and be major part of the next release.
  8. Fix SMS/MMS Delivery Reports. The current solution of getting a separate msgs back with the notification is ANCIENT and frustrating. Because of that I have Delivery Reports Off no matter how much I need them.
  9. Notification Center should also set free the locksreeen. All Apps should be able to display notifications on the lockscreen 5 App limit is just not working for many.
  10. Email Client should NOT re-size pictures or any other file. Just do not touch or mess with my attachments
  11. Address Book is also ANCIENT. Still using Mobile 1, Mobile 2, Home, Home 2 labels. You should be able to have "unlimited" Mobile, Home or anything else you want. Google Contacts and Apple Contacts are handling this perfectly. Microsoft needs to finally move on from the ancient Contact handling solution, that created on early 90s.
  12. Speaking of People, your Contacts must be linked on all devices across your Microsoft Account. Its unacceptable to link a contacts on one device ex. Facebook and Outlook profiles and then you have to do it again in your other Machines.
  13. IE should be able to download ANY FILE, I want. Currently for example it does not download .exe files because the phone does not support .exe but I want to use my phone to download it and then transfer it to a computer
  14. More security options. Pattern, Face Unlock, Picture Passwords etc.
  15. DataSense Stats should be available in ALL phones provided detailed statistics of your Data usage, no matter if the provider has setup DataSense server on their end or not.
  16. Battery Stats should also be part of the OS.
  17. OS updates should handle exclusively from Microsoft and release at the same date to ALL Windows Phone devices not matter their brand and carrier. No unnecessary fragmentation, NO SECOND CLASS CITIZENS.
  18. Speaking of updates, WiFi ONLY firmware/OS update limitation needs to go away. Cellular Connection should be able to download such updates if the user wants to.
  19. Ability to independently turn off haptic feedback and sounds on the buttons.
  20. Back and Search buttons should be Optional for future devices. The OS should support these functions. Similar to Windows 8 and Android and provide manufacturers with the ability to release button less devices.
  21. A full Voice Assistance and natural conversation on TellMe will also be very welcome.
  22. All major Bing Apps for Windows 8 needs to be ported in the Windows Phone. Including, Finance, Travel, News, Sports, Weather
  23. New Tab on IE should open in the Background and not get directed there when open a page in new tab. At least put an option there to change that.
  24. App Resuming is not working as advertised. In some cases is taking forever to resume. Simple multitask scenarios are becoming a hassle because of this. They need to improve this function immediately as the current situation is way below average and far from excellent
  25. 1080 resolutions is mandatory. Especially now that this is becoming the standard resolution on all Android high-end devices.
  26. XBOX requirements and branding should be mandatory for all game submission over time. Multiplayer solutions and communication methods while gaming on Windows Phone should be a hassle free experience for both developers and gamers in the platform, all under the XBOX umbrella.
  27. Share API can be a lot better.
  28. XBOX Video service should jump into the Windows Phone immediately
  29. Ability to charge my device and be turn off. Currently my Lumia 920 turns ON as soon as I plug-in the charger.
  30. Notification Center
  31. Notification Center and finally
  32. Notification Center

Last edited:

Mystictrust

May 26, 2011
Visit site

the notification center thing is frustrating because there are those that get it and those that don't. Yes, maybe some people are used to android but I'm not. I love live tiles. But some toasts disappear before you can read them and may have come from an unpinned app (maybe you didn't know it gave toasts. Maybe it's an infrequently used app you don't need pinned. Maybe you forgot to pin it). Some toasts aren't associated with a number on a tile or an indicator that they were there (i.e. Battery sense can toast when battery is low or battery drain detected... Its just a real time message that is only true when it's sent. Skype continually sends toasts when you have even just one unread message, reminding you that something needs your attention, and the tile only reflects one message because that's all there is even if it toasted you 6 times. Words By Post toasts when you have a new message but the tile reflects turn notifications only. Same with Words with Friends.)

We cant cover every scenario. Sometimes tile notifications don't include certain toasts by design. Sometimes it's not feasible to update the tile everytime. Some apps have bugs or were coded poorly. Some devs don't follow design standards. Some apps don't get pinned for various reasons. Still, even if Microsoft auto-pinned every installed app (which kinda defeats the purpose), the same problem would exist with all the other reasons mentioned. I don't care if I have a notification center that tells me I have email when I can clearly see that on my tile. I do care if, while I'm busy and phone is on vibrate, I felt 6 vibrations yet can only find 2. What if all I want to do is find the app sending toasts and uninstall it? I don't even know what app it is if I can't get to the phone in time.

If Microsoft wants to make this toast notification center or whatever a tile with a number for every toast that comes through, or a tile with an icon on it indicating one or more previous toasts, or a tile without any numbers... I would be happy. They could even throw in an indicator for if the toast came from an unpinned app with the option to pin it. And anyone who thinks it is silly and fails to see why some people could really use it are free to leave it unpinned.

nMIK-3

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Notification Center is needed and its not debatable guys, either you need/use it or not. The current situation creates multiple problems besides not having a unifying place that groups all your notifications, in both Windows Phone and Windows 8.

1. If you do not have the App, pinned on your Start Screen it's impossible to follow up this specific App and its Notifications.
2. The notification popup disappears after a couple of seconds. So when you want to find it later or even worst if you are away and need to catch up you need to scroll all three miles of tiles and physically see/check every single tile to see if there is a numeric notification.
3. Because of that I have all tiles of apps that i use to get a lot of notification on TOP even though I do not want them to be there.
4. App Controls are randomly and design different from App to App. Ex. Sound controls are just appear and you can only access them if you physically press the volume buttons while they can perfectly appear in the notification center when play music sounds etc.
5. Most importantly a unifying solution that organize and places all notifications in one place with easy options to interact and dismiss them is highly needed in both Windows Phone and Windows 8.
6. The current notifications toast or not are not working as they should. From facebook to Windows Store missing updates. The reports are endless.

The list can go on and on but the bottom line is that there is not a single benefit of having no Notification Center, while the lack of it creates so many problems, frustration by making simple tasks not practical and limit your freedom and your abilities within and across the platform.

I love what I see from Windows Blue so far but the lack of the Notification Center itself or at least evidence that is under development, both scares me and disappoints me.

Hopefully it will be there when Blue hits RTM and Microsoft advertise it as a major addition going forward.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos