Next major windows phone update and what you want in it.

theeboredone

Oct 7, 2012
Visit site
They really need to update/fix the WP App for Macbooks. I can't do anything when I connect my 920 to it. Missing out on a lot of music here.

Speaking of music, there are a lot of subtle things they can improve on...

1. You get to a song by clicking on an artist, album, song, etc. If you press the home button, and then X-box music app, it takes you to the main menu. IMO, it should just take you back to where you last were instead of opening up a new window to the main menu. You don't get taken to the home page of IE when you open it up. It takes you to the last website you were at.

2. For some reason, if you press home, and go back to the window of your artist or songs list, the list will have moved up or down, and not be where you were at. It would make sense if it was at the current song on the list, but it's totally random with both songs and artists. For example, if I'm in the "L" section of artists, and I come back to it later, it will be at the K artists.

3. For whatever reason, a song will not play, skip to the next song due to an error. However, all I have to do is reselect that song and it will work.

sbloom

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
"Leave on server" option on POP3 emails, though currently I can't even get my 920 to leave IMAP emails on the server! Fundamental issues with WP8, everything else seems great to this BB emigree.

Ludwig1976

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I really love MS fanboys in this thread. For them, almost every feature suggested is useless. LOL
If M$ removed your voice from phone calls, they would say "Hey, c'mon, you need listening, not talking!"

Of course, when M$ will introduce (veeeeeeeeeeeeey few of) feature suggested in WP73.5, they will suddenly find them very useful! ROTFL

hethler

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
  • Ability to dump cache
  • Toast notification (that actually works)
  • Enhanced/amped ringer/volume
  • Cover more countries for "Local Scouts" (IMHO, this is really a nice feature)
  • Close "x" icon while switching in between apps
  • Skype able to run in background; syncs messages/contacts: say you're on you're PC (work); laptop (personal) and on WP. I'm a heavy Skype-user both for personal and work and I found it weak that above-mentioned items aren't on sync automatically. Also, say I deleted contact from PC. next thing I know that contact is still on my WP/laptop so I have to do some work-around. Moreover, if I talked to client using my PC from work then decided to work from home later on thru my perosnal laptop, the messages weren't there. Don't know if this is a bug though :(
  • Easier pairing for Bluetooth devices (other models, PC/laptop/notebook)
  • "Emoticons" support while posting thru various social networks
  • Twitter contacts on my address book (not showing up on mine)
  • Ability to tag pages that you "Liked" say, you want to post a status about you, watching the episode of The Mentalist and at the same time tag the official Facebook page of the program.
  • Ability to change the "tile image" for Music and Video. Mine was stucked with One Direction (bahahaha, tried playing other songs, it won't change anymore)
  • Enhance "voice / speech" recognition

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
We all know windows phone blue is on its way. But every year brings a MAJOR update to windows phone and I would like to know what would you guys like to see in windows phone 8.5 what can Microsoft bring to the platform that will make you happy.

1. Fix syncing with Zune PC software.
2. I think WP needs to make Active Tiles even greater. More active tiles allowed to be active and give each more ability to be active. More actions. Active Tiles updating with fresh information and images are one of the outstanding features of WP.

I keep my favorite "active" tiles, sized full width, at the top of my screen. It always draws attention when I'm using my phone in public. I always make it easy for people to watch.

(Require App Developer to use them?)

3. Oh, and a "select all" feature for cut and paste.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
1. Fix syncing with Zune PC software.

2. I think WP needs to make Active Tiles even greater. More active tiles allowed to be active and give each more ability to be active. More actions. Active Tiles updating with fresh information and images are one of the outstanding features of WP.

I keep my favorite "active" tiles, sized full width, at the top of my screen. It always draws attention when I'm using my phone in public. I always make it easy for people to watch.

(Require App Developer to use them?)

3. Oh, and a "select all" feature for cut and paste.

There is a select all. Tap the first word of the document or text that you want to select all. You will see the two dots show up. Drag the dot on the right to the last word. Tada.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
As I dont 100% see the need for a "Notification Center", as that is the point of live tiles (new mails, texts, etc), I do see the need for the quick access to things like Wi-FI, Bluetooth, NFC, Airplane mode, etc, Would love to see something in the area when you hold the back button, there would be always a option there. That is one of the big flaws with WP so far.

What I would love to see
-Dual volume controls (one for ringer, alarms, etc and one for Media, games, etc)
-FM radio RIGHT NOW (baseball season has started and I can get them on the radio but, not over the net unless I pay extra)
-Customizable titles, really ? We need to access EVERY color not just a selection of 10-12 or what ever is there, maybe even background image behind the tiles (kind of like what has been shown with Windows Blue)
-1080P screen support
-Expandable storage manatory on all 8.5 based phones (next version)
-App pricing the same as iOS and Android
-Bring back Zune/Xbox Music for syncing music/media
-User management of "Other" storage on all phones (a Nokia feature coming to all devices)
-Full speach control and reply instead of just showing a bing search

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
There is a select all. Tap the first word of the document or text that you want to select all. You will see the two dots show up. Drag the dot on the right to the last word. Tada.

That only works for me, for one screen of text? How do you get it to select all of say three screens? It doesn't scroll down. Does yours?

AMINEBOX

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
LETS FACE IT WINDOWS 8 ON MY NOKIA LUMIA 920:

ALL the hype about being the "smartest" phone made me buy it but I was totally disappointed - many many many many "BASIC" and I am saying BASIC best of practices are missing in that phone and I cannot believe it. Look at Android and the things they've got to offer. People Hub and sharing sucks on Windows mobile sometimes you don't have all the options, look at the options you get on ANDROID when you share something, you will get a super long list of everything! Tell me whether I am right or wrong!!!!

The way an app opens up and closes with these dots acting as loaders is SUPER ANNOYING. The pagination animation is very very annoying.... They should keep it simple with a simpler loader.

I cannot MUTE the phone properly whenever I want!!!!!

No proper vibrate option

The notification on top when I get a message from whatsapp, for example, doesn't have a way to dismiss it and it hides the top area of my phone whereas I have to wait for it to disappear.

There phone practice is BAD I have a hard time looking up contacts and copy/paste numbers the whole thing is a joke.

There is no AIRPLANE mode

I can go on and on.. One thing for sure, in this era, in this century, in this day: THIS IS NOT A SMART PHONE.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Troll. But I'll prove you wrong anyways.

LETS FACE IT WINDOWS 8 ON MY NOKIA LUMIA 920:
ALL the hype about being the "smartest" phone made me buy it but I was totally disappointed - many many many many "BASIC" and I am saying BASIC best of practices are missing in that phone and I cannot believe it. Look at Android and the things they've got to offer. People Hub and sharing sucks on Windows mobile sometimes you don't have all the options, look at the options you get on ANDROID when you share something, you will get a super long list of everything! Tell me whether I am right or wrong!!!!

Where is this "best practices" list? By what criteria are these best practices decided?

The way an app opens up and closes with these dots acting as loaders is SUPER ANNOYING. The pagination animation is very very annoying.... They should keep it simple with a simpler loader.

They should keep it simple with a simple loader? How much more simple can it get than 4 moving dots?

SUPER ANNOYING? 100% subjective opinion. Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has them.

I cannot MUTE the phone properly whenever I want!!!!!

Press + or - volume once, then tap the ringer type symbol on the top right of the media menu.

No proper vibrate option

My vibrate works fine. Explain your meaning in more, and with amicable detail.

The notification on top when I get a message from whatsapp, for example, doesn't have a way to dismiss it and it hides the top area of my phone whereas I have to wait for it to disappear.

Wrong. Swipe it from left to right and it will disappear. It's even animated smoother than 90% of scrolling on Android.

There phone practice is BAD I have a hard time looking up contacts and copy/paste numbers the whole thing is a joke.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37180938.jpg

You have a hard time searching with the contact search and with the alphabetically sorted jump list? I'm surprised you can log in on this forum with how complex it is compared to finding contacts in the People Hub.

There is no AIRPLANE mode

Settings, barely halfway down the list.

I can go on and on.. One thing for sure, in this era, in this century, in this day: THIS IS NOT A SMART PHONE.

I can go on and on.. ---> You could, but you will still bringing nothing meaningful to the conversation. It's clear to me that you've barely spent 5 minutes with the 920, especially considering the fact you couldn't find airplane mode in the settings. I find it far more likely that you handled a friend's 920 for a few minutes and started to rage about the fact that a dual core 1.5ghz phone is smoother than your 4 core SG3.

Last edited:

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Troll. But I'll prove you wrong anyways.

Where is this "best practices" list? By what criteria are these best practices decided?

They should keep it simple with a simple loader? How much more simple can it get than 4 moving dots?

SUPER ANNOYING? 100% subjective opinion. Opinions are like a**holes. Everyone has them.

Press + or - volume once, then tap the ringer type symbol on the top right of the media menu.

My vibrate works fine. Explain your meaning in more, and amicable, detail.

Wrong. Swipe it from left to right and it will disappear. It's even animated smoother than 90% of scrolling on Android.

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37180938.jpg

You have a hard time searching with the contact search and with the alphabetically sorted jump list? I'm surprised you can log in on this forum with how complex it is compared to finding contacts in the People Hub.

Settings, barely halfway down the list.

I can go on and on.. ---> You could, but you will still bringing nothing meaningful to the conversation. It's clear to me that you've barely spent 5 minutes with the 920, especially considering the fact you couldn't find airplane mode in the settings. I find it far more likely that you handled a friend's 920 for a few minutes and started to rage about the fact that a dual core 1.5ghz phone is smoother than your 4 core SG3.

That ***** has to be 5yrs old.

David Lolohea

Mar 10, 2013
Visit site
My requests are basic features that should be a part of every current smartphone:

1. Muted notification sounds while during a phone call. My text message and email tones are audible on my end and the other person's end as well during a call.
2. A simple way to close an app- Please end the continuous back button presses needed to close an app. I propose The hold press of the back button to see the apps currently in use, and then a flick or swipe up to close the app completely.
3. Fix the ringtone bugs. Some WP devices have a stutter sound at the end of the ringtone or when the user answers the phone. It is quite annoying. Never heard of this before.
4. Simple way to power on/off device. Long pressing the power button and sliding down the power screen to turn the phone off are too many steps. A simple touch screen power on/off button will do.
5. Ability to add custom message or email tones.
6. Sound profiles- Soft, normal, loud are examples of this. Also a longer vibration or the ability to choose the level of vibration for ringtones.
7. An easier way to add to contacts. Currently you have to add the number, then the name separately. I would love to see the ability to add all of the info at one time.
8. Incognito browsing or the ability to choose which sites you wish to block or accept cookies from. The ability to automatically erase browsing info after closing the tabs.
9. My Apps in the Store- The ability to see all of the apps that were downloaded and uninstalled viewable in the Store.
10. Ability to clear entire phone's cache instead of just the internet explorer's browsing history.
11. Last, but not least a notification light to let me know if I have a missed call, message, or email.
highly agree with all your points +1000000000 :)

Abdul Rahman Noor

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
What I'd want?
For someone from MSFT (Joe Belfoire or what's his name?) to read through this thread, admit WP8 actually has plenty of improvements to make, and then go ahead and put most of these in Blue.

That would be a good day...

vhguru

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I want the notification on the messagetile to go away when you swipe the message preview on the lockscreen. If you swipe it away, you have already noticed the message and it's no need for the notification on the live tile.

anon(631408)

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
to finally make the jump I need the following:
- do not disturb (having a white list of calls and text to come through - all other notifications sleep) something you don't have to adjust everyday
- individual notification sounds (ESPN, Facebook...) just their own sounds. right now they use the same as the built in apps
Pretty much that is it. The second one not that big of deal but the 1st one a must for me to give up the other phones.

What I would like to see:
- iHeartradio (there is a work around for The Ticket but it would be nice to have this app)
- MLB.com at Bat

I don't think I am asking for a lot. If someone has an option for my top priority please let me know.

snowwake8

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My "Most important" list:

1. When I am in browser and push home, then go back to internet explorer I can no longer go "back" on browser pages.
2. Media volume & phone volume separate. I want to play a game on mute but have my phone makes noise still (texts, email, phone call, etc.)
3. Toast notifications that work and stackable/dismissible.
4. Rooms need work. Internal notifications, etc.
5. Peoples hub needs all the social marketing tools people use. No more half *** version. Either go all the way or just have us use the Facebook and Twitter apps like everyone else.
6. More live tile colors please.
7. Music needs a built in way to close. Rebooting the phone to close it is not efficient.
I'm sure I have more but those are the biggest for me.

Geerboy

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My "Most important" list:

1. When I am in browser and push home, then go back to internet explorer I can no longer go "back" on browser pages.
2. Media volume & phone volume separate. I want to play a game on mute but have my phone makes noise still (texts, email, phone call, etc.)
3. Toast notifications that work and stackable/dismissible.
4. Rooms need work. Internal notifications, etc.
5. Peoples hub needs all the social marketing tools people use. No more half *** version. Either go all the way or just have us use the Facebook and Twitter apps like everyone else.
6. More live tile colors please.
7. Music needs a built in way to close. Rebooting the phone to close it is not efficient.
I'm sure I have more but those are the biggest for me.

Good list, here are my thoughts:

Needs to be able to insert pics in the actual message stream in the rooms....and have a better way of notification when pictures are commented on

News app that windows 8 has needs to be in the phone

GET UP TO DATE WITH VOICE.....GOOGLE AND APPLE CRUSH MS IN THIS

integrate the room chat feed into windows 8....doesn't make sense that I cannot just continue my chat on windows 8 rt....which I guess is a change needed in windows side not phone

Oh....and why can I do more things on outlook.com vs. The built in app? (sweeping, junk filtering and such)

Printing.....this is just basic now....why can't my phone do this.....really?

WiFi or Bluetooth sync with my surface would be nice

Other than that it is the best phone I've ever owned.....so male no mistake....i love my phone....just needs some tweaks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte