How does the phone decide how bright to set the screen? I have a Lumia 820 and its set to automatically adjust. Problem is that tonight its constantly changing for no apparent reason. I've changed it to medium and it seems to be stable now, but it got me curious about how the auto adjust works.
    04-03-2013 10:33 PM
    How does the phone decide how bright to set the screen? I have a Lumia 820 and its set to automatically adjust. Problem is that tonight its constantly changing for no apparent reason. I've changed it to medium and it seems to be stable now, but it got me curious about how the auto adjust works.
    It senses the ambient light level and changes brightness based on that. If you're in a dimly lit room it will lower the brightness. If you're outside in full sun it increases the brightness. That's the theory, anyway. As you've found, sometimes it jumps around, probably because slight movements can angle the screen towards a light source and change the reading, hence the brightness, or you accidentally put your hand in front of the sensor.
    04-03-2013 10:59 PM
    Where is the sensor? Is it the front camera lens?

Thanks!
    04-03-2013 11:15 PM
    Where is the sensor? Is it the front camera lens?
    It can be in the same area, yes. But it depends on the device. It's almost always just above the screen.

If you think you've found the sensor, just go to a well lit place and stick your thumb over it to confirm. The screen should start to dim.
    04-04-2013 12:58 AM