What are LIVE tiles?

Shoulders

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
If it's any conciliation, I've got exactly the same problem.

Battery saver has been off since i got my 920 in Nov, as it used to cause issues on my WP7 Titan.

Blocked and unblocked, unpinned and repinned, uninstalled and reinstalled.

MS's official line is to do a Hard reset, but
a) I don't find this an acceptable answer
b) many people have said doing this only fixes it temporarily.

The WPcentral app, in the settings, says the live tile had a network error, but i have mobile data, plus a good signal, so there's no excuse for this, other than the OS causing it.

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I would think if it was the OS then everyonr or at least many many mant more people would have the same issue I do not. NL 920 ATT most current updates all installed.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Maybe I'll spend some time on the Nokia forum and see if I can't pick up a tip or two. I love my L920 but this bugs me.

Shoulders

Mar 26, 2012
Visit site
Quick update. I uninstalled a number of apps that I'm no longer using, some of which have live tiles and background tasks that are blocked. There were at least 3 different calendar ones.

Woke up this morning and all 4 of my live tiles were up to date (first time in about 6 weeks).

I'll have to see if this has cured it. But should one rogue app cause the whole live tile concept to break?

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Quick update. I uninstalled a number of apps that I'm no longer using, some of which have live tiles and background tasks that are blocked. There were at least 3 different calendar ones.

Woke up this morning and all 4 of my live tiles were up to date (first time in about 6 weeks).

I'll have to see if this has cured it. But should one rogue app cause the whole live tile concept to break?

AHHHH HAAA!! Just as I suspected was the cause. Well it has to be in my mind. Live tiles worked fine for a while. Then one day, they simply quit updating. I suspect there is a software layer that all apps with live tiles use that has some sort of enable/disable functionality for live tiles. Some developer on my phone disabled it and nothing else is able to use it. Hmmmm. Seems we need an app or utility that can check or reset a few of these settings when apps do the wrong thing. Thanks for the update Shoulders.

Now Nokia, I know you're popping into WPCentral on the regular. So me input would be warranted here.

Knight018

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
You could always compare the apps you have installed with the apps someone else has installed(that still has working live tiles), and try to weed out the possible culprit.

Gergolos

Apr 2, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I had some issues with my tiles not updating on my 7 Pro (running WP7.8, but I guess the not updating issue is the same on WP8 and WP7.8). A few days ago my Amazing Weather Tile stopped updating. I tried some other apps (Fuse, Das Image) and realised: none of them updated their tiles. At least not as often as they should... I rebooted my phone, checked all the background apps (only the ones I used for the live tiles were activated) and so on... nothing could solve my problem.

After a day or two I deleted WhatsApp from my phone. (I really don't like WhatsApp and the idea of being "online" all the time. My friends tend to think that just because of a smartphone having an internet connection the user is available all the time. I use SMS and email a lot, so I don't need WhatsApp so much... Because of not really having the "need" to use WhatsApp AND the really annoying Song-Playing-For-WiFi-issue I deleted the app)

After doing that my phone started to update all the tiles! There was just one day (a period of maybe 4 hours) where there were no updates. I gues it was because of some connection issues from my provider. As I said: the tiles work just fine now!

Don't know weather or not WhatsApp was the main problem, but my phone works just fine after deleting it... Maybe you should give it a try?

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
One possibility, although unlikely, is that the tile update "subscription" has ended. Recall that tiles have two ways of being updating: a background task to update the tile from the phone or a subscription to the Microsoft Push Notification Service to have updates pushed to the phone.

Push subscriptions are good for two weeks. The app is supposed to extend the subscription each time it starts. If you don't use the app frequently (i.e., don't start it) or the programmer didn't code it properly (i.e., to extend the subscription), the push notifications will stop coming.

Background tasks, I believe, also have the same two-week limit (that the app should extend upon startup), but don't have time to verify that limit now.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I had some issues with my tiles not updating on my 7 Pro (running WP7.8, but I guess the not updating issue is the same on WP8 and WP7.8). A few days ago my Amazing Weather Tile stopped updating. I tried some other apps (Fuse, Das Image) and realised: none of them updated their tiles. At least not as often as they should... I rebooted my phone, checked all the background apps (only the ones I used for the live tiles were activated) and so on... nothing could solve my problem.

After a day or two I deleted WhatsApp from my phone. (I really don't like WhatsApp and the idea of being "online" all the time. My friends tend to think that just because of a smartphone having an internet connection the user is available all the time. I use SMS and email a lot, so I don't need WhatsApp so much... Because of not really having the "need" to use WhatsApp AND the really annoying Song-Playing-For-WiFi-issue I deleted the app)

After doing that my phone started to update all the tiles! There was just one day (a period of maybe 4 hours) where there were no updates. I gues it was because of some connection issues from my provider. As I said: the tiles work just fine now!

Don't know weather or not WhatsApp was the main problem, but my phone works just fine after deleting it... Maybe you should give it a try?

WhatsApp huh? You know what? Let me deep six that app since I don't use it much anyway. I can't be certain but I did install that just about the time I began to notice a problem. I'm keeping a list of which apps I'm uninstalling until I get live tile recovery. When I determine the hater app, I'll publish it. I began to notice a problem with live tiles when I had my L900. I suspected then something I installed broke live tiles. This is something MS needs to address in its OS. Live tiles is what makes this phone unique and apps should not be able to disable it.

anon(5408460)

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same problem and it is so annoying, I have tried every suggestion I can come across. I used to have Whatsapp but got rid of it ages ago but my live tiles are definitely of the Norwegian Blue variety :(

foxbat121

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I would think if it was the OS then everyonr or at least many many mant more people would have the same issue I do not. NL 920 ATT most current updates all installed.

Indeed many many more ppl have this issue one time or another. There are many such posts all over the internet forums. Not everyone encounter this problem all the time.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Indeed many many more ppl have this issue one time or another. There are many such posts all over the internet forums. Not everyone encounter this problem all the time.
Which is why I suspect that whatever mechanism that manages live tiles is being broken by some app I installed or some weakness in the live tile interface. Or worse, a series of apps is causing it. I'm continuing to drop and document apps daily until my weather and calendar apps work again.

tuxedo323

Apr 21, 2013
Visit site
Not sure about live tiles...good concept, but the battery sacrifice isn't worth imho. Maybe a future update will make things reasonable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720