Terrible battery life since update to 7.8 (8862)

Ridlah

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Ever since the live tile support update (8862) My HTC HD7S has been running short on batter life. I'm just wondering if anyone else is experiencing similar issues.

I have kept Cellular data disabled and even kept the phone in sleep mode only using it to check the time but i find the battery more than half way down 6 hours later

LYZ1999

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
I seem to be having the same problem on my Lumia 710. Battery life has been reduced by about 5-15%. Previously my phone could last 6am-9pm, now it can barely get to 7pm

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
I seem to be having the same problem on my Lumia 710. Battery life has been reduced by about 5-15%. Previously my phone could last 6am-9pm, now it can barely get to 7pm

The Windows Phone OS has always had trouble keeping valid, accurate statistics to battery, leading to less-than-sufficient power available to your device. This is caused by a single file within the phone called records.dat the OS uses to predict how much power is left and how long till it needs to charge, based on previous battery usage and consumption stats. You can delete/rename the records.dat file in /Application Data/Microsoft/BATSVC to reset the battery stats, assuming your device has full root or interop unlock, power off the phone and take the battery out, reassemble the device and power it on. (You may need to press and hold each hardware key about 20 seconds when the battery is removed to ensure no electricity is leftover. Otherwise, stats are likely to be inaccurate.)

Other than that, the only way is to hard-reset your device, since that method ALSO resets battery stats, but not everyone is too keen on reinstalling apps and games, as well as photos, music and videos, in exchange for longer battery life.

operauser

Banned
Oct 10, 2012
Visit site
I have kept Cellular data disabled and even kept the phone in sleep mode only using it to check the time but i find the battery more than half way down 6 hours later
Dear friend! Wanted to ask - did u really bought WP only for starting complaining?Try to live with it or buy a new one.I'm an ex lumia 900 user and never complained about battery life here.Maximum was 48 h (without using) and after 7.8 it went down to some 12 h.Did i started to complain about it? No way dude - i just sold my device to some young fellow who's coming from Symbian.I was happy and he was happy too (donno bout now:)) Will i buy a WP again? Donno,after some years maybe.When there's a same opportunities to mod a wp as Android or Windows PC OS

Ridlah

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I'm just saying for a device that doesn't even run wifi in sleep mode the battery life should not be this poor

gedzum

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm just saying for a device that doesn't even run wifi in sleep mode the battery life should not be this poor

I also haven't noticed much difference in battery life since updating to 7.8. Have you checked your background tasks? I remember when I noticed some considerable battery drain, I had the box app running in the background and when I disabled, it was significantly better. That, or perhaps a certain live tile is causing an issue.

bor42

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
I also noticed worse battery life since updating to 7.8 (could be because of a bug in a custom rom that I'm running now), I heard that turning off Bing wallpaper helped for some people, I'm trying the trick with deleting the records.bat right now.

Stephen Vogel

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
No problem here on Lumia 800. I have all the same settings as prior to the update plus Bing wallpapers now running.
By any chance do you have the Spotify app installed? I have noticed it will sometimes switch itself from offline to online for no obvious reason and that drains my battery real quick even when the app is closed. Nothing to do with 7.8 update other than it might have gone online during the update. Also, are you on 8862.144? When I updated I went to 8862.??? then up to 8862.144

Phillip Payne

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Try turning off Xbox LIVE (if you can do without it constantly running) in settings\ applications\ games. That has increased my battery life immensely on the HD 7.

Ridlah

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I unpinned the weather app by Microsoft and that seemed to improve battery life by a bit thank you all for your suggestions and feedback

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
well here is the funny thing, when 7.8 broke my tiles battery life became awesome! There is no reason on earth working live tiles should drain battery badly, each tile is only given 15 secs to update, and the shortest update interval is 30 mins.

HNNNNNGHHH

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
how can i find the file "record.bat" is there any tool to access system files?

As I've mentioned in a previous post in this thread, you need a fully unlocked or interop unlocked phone for this to work, have a file browser (although Windows Phone Root Tools has a built-in file browser already), navigate to /Application Data/Microsoft/BATSVC and find the records.dat file. You can either delete it or rename the file at this point.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)