Some quick questions about WP8

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
Few quick questions to bring me upto date as I might pick up a new phone this weekend

1) Have they removed that irksome thing that they cannot download pod-casts except while plugged in and on wifi which existed in windows 7 and 7.5? (Note: If you are in the US, I don't think this was ever the case but it is in the UK)

2) Does internet sharing come as standard in WP8 or do I need to buy a particularly OEM or model?

3) How will my Gmail account work? IMAP only or am I grandfathered in because there is an existing relationship with my WP7 phone?

4) What is this 'other storage' problem I see people writing about?

5) Can you now cycle between Volume >>>>> Vibrate >>>> Silent like on other phones or do you still have to do it in the settings?

thanks.

ncxcstud

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
1) - Not sure. All my podcasts download, but I'm always around wifi, so I'm not sure.

2) - I believe all of WP8 devices can do internet sharing, just depends if your carrier allows you (probably more of an issue here in the US than in other places)

3) - My gmail works fine. Of course, I also just have my Live/Outlook account pull my gmail so I don't have to 'use' their interface or anything. At the moment, Gmail works fine and they are working to make sure that it'll continue to work after Google changes stuff on their end in the summer.

4) - With the new Nokia update (which is mostly out for AT&T US users, there is an option to 'clear out' most of the 'other storage.' I have a Lumia 920 and my 'Other' storage ballooned up to 12.5 GB. Before this fix, you couldn't do anything about it and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Now, with the Nokia update I can clear it out and I gained 9-10GB back.

5) - I'm a bit confused, all I have to do is hit a volume button on the side and then 'tap' the bell to turn the phone between ringer and silent/vibrate. I am able to do that on my Samsung Focus too.

jposthauer

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
Windows phone sucks! Sorry, I've been with them since wp7 and now wp8 and the apps available are limited, limited functionality, and the battery life sucks.

I finally had enough and went to iPhone 5 and now my charge is lasting 2 days compared to 2 - 3 hours. iPhone = it just works. Still like the UI of WP8 but they are way to slow getting apps and the battery life is horrible...in 2 more years it will be better if it is still around.

windev

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Windows phone sucks! Sorry, I've been with them since wp7 and now wp8 and the apps available are limited, limited functionality, and the battery life sucks.

I finally had enough and went to iPhone 5 and now my charge is lasting 2 days compared to 2 - 3 hours. iPhone = it just works. Still like the UI of WP8 but they are way to slow getting apps and the battery life is horrible...in 2 more years it will be better if it is still around.

Then you are in the wrong forum I think. Should not you be on iPhone forums?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The volume thing is one or the other - it is vibrate or silent, you cannot cycle between states with the volume keys.

1) - Not sure. All my podcasts download, but I'm always around wifi, so I'm not sure.

2) - I believe all of WP8 devices can do internet sharing, just depends if your carrier allows you (probably more of an issue here in the US than in other places)

3) - My gmail works fine. Of course, I also just have my Live/Outlook account pull my gmail so I don't have to 'use' their interface or anything. At the moment, Gmail works fine and they are working to make sure that it'll continue to work after Google changes stuff on their end in the summer.

4) - With the new Nokia update (which is mostly out for AT&T US users, there is an option to 'clear out' most of the 'other storage.' I have a Lumia 920 and my 'Other' storage ballooned up to 12.5 GB. Before this fix, you couldn't do anything about it and it just keeps getting bigger and bigger. Now, with the Nokia update I can clear it out and I gained 9-10GB back.

5) - I'm a bit confused, all I have to do is hit a volume button on the side and then 'tap' the bell to turn the phone between ringer and silent/vibrate. I am able to do that on my Samsung Focus too.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

Geddeeee

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site

You are obviously using the phone wrong then!!!

I have had WP7 and now WP8 devices and I'm getting over a day's battery with heavy use with each of them.

I've read about all these problems with WP7 and WP8 devices, and have had NONE of them. Everyone seems to be fixated on the battery life. These aren't Android devices!!! WP handles all the tasks in the background, and does it superbly.

Here's a little tip, if you have installed any battery monitoring apps.... uninstall them!!! They EAT battery. I don't use them at all having learned my lesson the hard way. It's a gimmick which does nothing apart from drain your battery on a useless task, and makes you constantly worry about your battery.

Just use the f***ing thing, and enjoy it. I'm getting close to a day and a half on a single charge with heavy use. No battery apps either!!!!

E-mail push on every 15 mins. Wi-Fi constantly on. Location on. Live tiles and lockscreen for WP Central, Weather Flow, Facebook, XBox Games etc (Max of 6 apps though. Another tip. Don't have more than 6 background apps, or you will lose some notifications or live tiles won't update :wink: )

Everything works, and works well....

Here endeth the lesson!!!! :grin:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12