New Grant Hill windows phone 8 commercial

purefire21

Jul 5, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that it's just a windows phone. There is no brand here, that's just like saying this is my apple phone by att. Call the phone what it is not window phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The problem is that it's just a windows phone. There is no brand here, that's just like saying this is my apple phone by att. Call the phone what it is not window phone.
That would be up to the OEMs to make specific commercials. Microsoft is only able to advertise what is unique about WP8, not specific devices that it does not make.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site

You don't see ads for "This is an Android" yet Scroogle sells so many of them. Imagine once "This is Windows Phone" catches up, Microsoft will have that extra marketing boost which in Microsoft's case, they always need extra marketing, pretty bad at showing the right stuff till now.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site

agreed. "pink windows phone" isn't going to be very descriptive if bob is talking to tom about a phone he just saw.

galaxy s4, on the other hand, pins down exactly what device they might be discussing.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
I don't see that concept being at all successful. For one thing, men don't not typically associate smartphones with fashion statements.

Many people who are now buying smartphones weren't even born yet when the "Where's the Beef?" ad aired back in 1984.

I'm not sure where you got fashion statements from.

ignore the date, see the concept.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
agreed. "pink windows phone" isn't going to be very descriptive if bob is talking to tom about a phone he just saw.

galaxy s4, on the other hand, pins down exactly what device they might be discussing.
because that's an OEM ad not Android OS ad?
This is WP ad. Not any particular OEM. Galaxy S4 only sells S4 not HTC One. "This is Lumia" ads are for Lumia not all WPs.

London Jr

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Celebrity endorsement ads have less to do with product features and more to do with consumers associating the product with someone they admire.

Target audience: Men who like sports, and technology

Ad strategy: (1) I (consumer) like basketball, (2) I like Grant Hill, (3) Grant Hill likes Windows Phone, (4) Therefore, maybe I will like Windows Phone too?

There's also the sub-text of tenacity. Grant Hill has been a basketball star for a long time. He's come back from injury, he's still hungry to win. But he also balances that with keeping in touch with the people in his life that are most important to him. Audiences can connect with a storyline like this.

And if you like features, he does emphasize the camera on the phone, which is one of the top things people use smartphones for.

Also, side note. Grant Hill, class act.

biggest point of this ad... hell of a lot of respect for Grant Hill...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs