New Grant Hill windows phone 8 commercial

JerseySal

Aug 7, 2012
Visit site
It's way better than those Surface commercials with a bunch of Abercrombie models dancing around like a bunch of idiots while showing off maybe two features.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
it showed:

a txt message
facebook
someone shooting video
someone viewing video

and a whole bunch of basketball and blue shoes. where are the features on display in this ad ?

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
it showed:

a txt message
facebook
someone shooting video
someone viewing video

and a whole bunch of basketball and blue shoes. where are the features on display in this ad ?

It showed:

Pandora app (which has some free subscriptions going right?)
A text message
Facebook
SkyDrive
Instant Photo Sharing to Networks
Blink app to select from multiple photos
Video quality
Skype call integrated in the OS
Colourful handsets
Endorsement by the man.

You surely need to use your WP more often ;)

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
my point was, they're not showcasing the os or anything new...

potential customers don't see wow features, they see what they have on other phones already.

dalydose

Oct 19, 2010
Visit site
my point was, they're not showcasing the os or anything new...

potential customers don't see wow features, they see what they have on other phones already.

Apple just had an ad that showed noise cancelling...that's it. The normal consumer doesn't remember everything a phone can do. Plus, I've heard people say "I have an iPhone because it can (insert feature found on all smartphones)".

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Apple just had an ad that showed noise cancelling...that's it. The normal consumer doesn't remember everything a phone can do. Plus, I've heard people say "I have an iPhone because it can (insert feature found on all smartphones)".

another "but apple/android/symbian did _________ " comparison ?

if its a commercial, it needs to show the awesome stuff no one else has or does !

or at least show how its better on wp.

PeltFrelken

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Celebrity endorsement ads have less to do with product features and more to do with consumers associating the product with someone they admire.

Target audience: Men who like sports, and technology

Ad strategy: (1) I (consumer) like basketball, (2) I like Grant Hill, (3) Grant Hill likes Windows Phone, (4) Therefore, maybe I will like Windows Phone too?

There's also the sub-text of tenacity. Grant Hill has been a basketball star for a long time. He's come back from injury, he's still hungry to win. But he also balances that with keeping in touch with the people in his life that are most important to him. Audiences can connect with a storyline like this.

And if you like features, he does emphasize the camera on the phone, which is one of the top things people use smartphones for.

Also, side note. Grant Hill, class act.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
another "but apple/android/symbian did _________ " comparison ?

if its a commercial, it needs to show the awesome stuff no one else has or does !

or at least show how its better on wp.

Oh is that how commercial works? I din't know that each commercial must show the wow factor over competition else it's pointless.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
it showed:

a txt message
facebook
someone shooting video
someone viewing video

Those are nice to see. Did you watch the whole commercial?

What about Pandora, photo editing, lenses, Blink, Skydrive did you miss those?

rider2040

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
There's also the sub-text of tenacity. Grant Hill has been a basketball star for a long time. He's come back from injury, he's still hungry to win. But he also balances that with keeping in touch with the people in his life that are most important to him. Audiences can connect with a storyline like this.

I'm not a big basketball fan, but as a father that travels for work, this ad definitely connected with me.

ohgood

Aug 20, 2011
Visit site
Celebrity endorsement ads have less to do with product features and more to do with consumers associating the product with someone they admire.

Target audience: Men who like sports, and technology

Ad strategy: (1) I (consumer) like basketball, (2) I like Grant Hill, (3) Grant Hill likes Windows Phone, (4) Therefore, maybe I will like Windows Phone too?

And if you like features, he does emphasize the camera on the phone, which is one of the top things people use smartphones for.

Also, side note. Grant Hill, class act.

I get it.

let's focus on the weakest market (is it still the us?)then....

if association and relation were the motivators, why not get a semi geeky 30 something guy with a beer gut and tout the phones positives in an edgy "snap into a slim jim" esque skit ?

people are can still remember "where's the beef?", but have no idea who the three little old ladies were.

pandora and skype are taken for granted, blow folks socks off with a badass exclusive instead ?

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I get it.

let's focus on the weakest market (is it still the us?)then....

if association and relation were the motivators, why not get a semi geeky 30 something guy with a beer gut and tout the phones positives in an edgy "snap into a slim jim" esque skit ?

people are can still remember "where's the beef?", but have no idea who the three little old ladies were.

pandora and skype are taken for granted, blow folks socks off with a badass exclusive instead ?

I don't see that concept being at all successful. For one thing, men don't not typically associate smartphones with fashion statements.

Many people who are now buying smartphones weren't even born yet when the "Where's the Beef?" ad aired back in 1984.

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't see that concept being at all successful. For one thing, men don't not typically associate smartphones with fashion statements.

Many people who are now buying smartphones weren't even born yet when the "Where's the Beef?" ad aired back in 1984.

Depends if it happened after November 1st... if so, I was born :cool:

lol

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss