Tile Badges Question

michaelreid722

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey everyone,

Picked up a 920 yesterday. I was originally planning on waiting for the release of new hardware/Blue, but I dropped my iPhone yesterday so I had to make the switch now.

Overall, while it has been a huge change, I am enjoying WP8. However, one annoyance I have run into is notification badges on the email and messaging tiles. Essentially, once I open the app, even if I haven't "read" the message, when I return to the Start screen, the tile will no longer display the notification badge. I would like the tile to continue showing the number of outstanding messages until I have read them. Is there a way to do this? I have checked settings and could not find anything, so any help for this newbie would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

BIGPADDY

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
No there currently no fix for that yet, it may arrival with the next update which is GDR2.

Last edited:

manicottiK

Nov 24, 2011
Visit site
The number or badge shown on tiles is how much activity has occurred since you last looked at the content in the app. For email, it is not the number of unread messages or total messages, but rather new messages. There's no way to "fix" this because it isn't broken, it's just different than how iOS handles things.

The "what's changed" philosophy is key to Windows Phone's original motivation as a new smartphone design based on the idea of helping users detect which app needs your attention rather than how much stuff you have. Microsoft described this as "glance and go" rather than the "stop and stare" of competing systems that make users recall the old email badge and subtract the new one from it to deduce what has recently happened.

chenhogi

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
The number or badge shown on tiles is how much activity has occurred since you last looked at the content in the app. For email, it is not the number of unread messages or total messages, but rather new messages. There's no way to "fix" this because it isn't broken, it's just different than how iOS handles things.

The "what's changed" philosophy is key to Windows Phone's original motivation as a new smartphone design based on the idea of helping users detect which app needs your attention rather than how much stuff you have. Microsoft described this as "glance and go" rather than the "stop and stare" of competing systems that make users recall the old email badge and subtract the new one from it to deduce what has recently happened.

Excellent explanation, thanks.

michaelreid722

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
Ok that makes sense. I think what threw me off is Windows 8 tiles display badges until the notification is explicitly addressed (I know W8 and WP8 aren't the same, just thought that would be handled similarly). Thanks so much for your response.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99