620 vs 820 vs 8X: help me decide [updated]

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
[UPDATE] I ruled out the 520 (too few features) and the 720 (at the price, I'd want 1GB of RAM). Members brought up some higher end devices which I did not realise had dropped in price so drastically, so I'm now looking at those against the 620! To see the original comparison of 520 vs 620 vs 720, you can check the post history.

So, my Omnia 7 seems to be nearing the end of its life. The battery randomly gets shot, the microUSB port is jacked up, I can't develop on it because there's no native code support, and it's just slow by today's standards. I'm not particularly drawn to any current Windows Phone flagship, so I intend to purchase a relatively inexpensive device for now. I hope to keep whatever I buy until late 2014, when I'll reevaluate and hopefully find a flagship that suits me better.

I'm looking for the best bang for my buck, so I'm balancing feature set with affordability. This is going to be an unlocked device purchased at full price. I've included the Australian pricing for the devices in the bottom graph, so you get some perspective in that regard. I'm considering the Lumia 620, Lumia 820 and HTC 8X. I've researched this fairly thoroughly, but can't make my mind up. I'd appreciate any and all opinions, especially from owners of these devices.

untitled.jpg

Ideals

Design: Good looking, but at some point function overrules form.
Screen: Nice blacks and sunlight readability.
Imaging: Decent front and rear shooters (price dependent).
Battery: The bigger the better, but as long as it can last a day.
Internals:[/B lower-tier S4 and 512MB of RAM.
Sensors: I'd love wireless charging, but it isn't a deal breaker.
Software: Some form of Nokia mapping. Nokia hasn't opened Drive to all devices in Australia.
Price: $200-$300 is ideal, but I'd stretch for $400 for a much better phone.
Biggest fears: Microsoft discontinues Windows Phone.

1.jpg

Design: Many will disagree, but I consider it the ugly duckling of the WP8 Lumia range. Thick, disproportionate and I don't care for the dual-shot cover.
Screen: Good. Finer pixel density than the 820, contrast and blacks look fine.
Imaging: 5MP rear shooter + LED flash. Front facing camera is VGA, but at least it's there.
Battery: Seems unspectacular, roughly on par with the 520.
Internals: lower-tier S4 and 512MB of RAM. 8GB + microSD for storage.
Sensors: Necessities are there.
Software: Everything is there and just works.
Price: $248 for local stock. Well priced, in my opinion.
Biggest fears: I'll lose out on future multitasking features and the best apps due to 512MB of RAM.

Leafy1_wss.jpg

Design: Relatively compact design from Nokia, but pays for it in thickness. Not too shabby.
Screen: RGB stripe AMOLED at 4.3". Will be nice, but is shadowed by the 720p of the 8X.
Imaging: Punches below the mark for launch pricing, but current pricing makes it passable.
Battery: Haven't heard much, I'm assuming it lasts well enough. If I decide to go crazy, there's that Mugen extended battery.
Internals: higher-tier S4 with 1GB of RAM. 8GB + microSD for storage.
Sensors: Gyroscope! Wireless charging cover + pad should come free with local stock.
Software: Everything is there and everything just works.
Price: $414 for local stock, $318 for grey import. 8X is a better deal looking at hardware, but 820 may be the better choice due to ecosystem.
Biggest fears: Next generation mid-range Lumias will make $400 seem poorly spent.

aHTC8X.jpg

8X

Design: Crap buttons + top mounted power button (HTC, please pay Nokia for double-tap to wake). Looks gorgeous.
Screen: 4.3" 1280x720? Yes please.
Imaging: Competitive front and rear shooters. Processes images real fast.
Battery: Seems to have been panned in review for poor battery life. Makes sense with the HD screen.
Internals: higher-tier S4 with 1GB of RAM. 16GB non-expandable storage, shouldn't be a problem if Microsoft patches "Other".
Sensors: Necessities are there.
Software: No Nokia mapping. HTC could EOL this device any day. The deal breaker could be here.
Price: $383 for local stock. Highly competitive if one is confident in HTC.
Biggest fears: HTC doesn't update the device and Nokia doesn't release mapping soon.

Ranking table thing

6208208X
Design211
Screen321
Imaging321
Battery212
Internals211
Sensors212
Software113
Price$248$414 ($318 grey import)$383

Last edited:

AUCLABruin

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: 520 vs 620 vs 720: help me decide

What is your carrier? It may help decide which model, and if you're in the U.S, you could go for the Lumia 8XX series, depending on the carrier.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site

I don't get these threads. I never will.

How are we supposed to help YOU pick a phone for you. You have already listed the pros and cons for each device. Weigh them yourself.

How am I supposed to know what matters the most to you? Only you will know and you've already done the hard work.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site

I think the 520 is too bare-boned so I would only get that if it was going to be a temporary device until getting something better down the road.

It would be down to the 620 and 720 for me but I would end up going with the 720 due to the screen size. Aside from the RAM the 720 is a very good deal for that price.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

What is your carrier? It may help decide which model, and if you're in the U.S, you could go for the Lumia 8XX series, depending on the carrier.
Buying outright to go on a prepaid mobile operator. It seems that if I consider grey imports, I can get the 820 for a reasonable price. Thanks for that thought.

svenhassel

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site

I have a 620. I really wanted the Drive Plus option, and the price was just right for me. If you really care about using it with gloves, just buy special gloves. They are cheap.
Until now, I never noticed any problem with 512 of RAM, but I just don?t care about games. I hate playing in cell phone screens.

I never had problems with the battery, but I?m not a heavy user playing games and using facebook all day. My battery always lasts the whole day.

The screen is the same size as my previous phone, but I guess that nowadays is in the small side. Again, I use it mainly to work, to have my contacts and calendar in perfect sync, so I don?t care. I?m not a road warrior, and I normally have the laptop or iPad close for other tasks that are more enjoyable in a bigger screen, like reading the news.

I don?t understand why the 720 doesn?t have Drive Plus, that detail killed it as an option for me.

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

Until now, I never noticed any problem with 512 of RAM, but I just don?t care about games. I hate playing in cell phone screens.

I never had problems with the battery, but I?m not a heavy user playing games and using facebook all day. My battery always lasts the whole day.

The screen is the same size as my previous phone, but I guess that nowadays is in the small side. Again, I use it mainly to work, to have my contacts and calendar in perfect sync, so I don?t care. I?m not a road warrior, and I normally have the laptop or iPad close for other tasks that are more enjoyable in a bigger screen, like reading the news.
I'm less concerned about games and more worried that any future multitasking or background task enhancements will be restricted on 512MB devices. 1GB really gives Microsoft a lot more wiggle room in this aspect. Good to hear the battery life is working out for you, I think the general consensus is all non-defective Windows Phones can last a day. I currently use a 4.0" phone, so 3.8" probably won't be too bad for me. However, I currently don't have a tablet so I end up consuming a lot of content on my phone.

It's looking like the Lumia 620 will be the one, unless I hold out for a discount on the 820, or maybe even the 8X (though I'm not too sure I'd want to go with HTC on the software side).

alllies

Sep 5, 2012
Visit site

Here maps/drive is still beta same goes with maps/drive+. Once they exit beta 720 can have the plus. Do you have international driver's licence? I thought here maps have navigation..

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site

I would pick the 620. I think it offers the perfect balance between affordability and functionality. However if the design is very important to you and you can't seem to love the 620, I think the 520 is designed gorgeously but the ffc and flash turned me off of it.

Jay_wpcentral

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site

Either pick up the 620 or go higher, like an 820 and above.

520 is too low on features and 720 is asking for way too much on price for a 512 MB device

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

If you want a 512 MB WP8 Lumia, get a 620 or 720, depending on your needs.

If you want a device that will last you a long time hardware-wise, get the 620. The phone is perfect for one-handed use and should be enough for day-to-day use.
If you want a longer lasting battery (something that won't run out by the end of the day), get the 720. It has stuff that makes its $350 price worth it, such as a camera better that the 820's, a design that's better than the 920's and every feature on the high-end Lumias (bar PureView Phase II and PureMotion HD+ display)

I wouldn't recommend the 520 due to its lack of the CBD technology, which is too glaring an omission on a Lumia.

Excuse the pun, ClearBlack prevents glare.

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Buying outright to go on a prepaid mobile operator. It seems that if I consider grey imports, I can get the 820 for a reasonable price. Thanks for that thought.

Be careful buying outright phones (imported and where you live). I don't know where you live, but if you are in the US, than not all phones work on all carriers. TMobile phones require an extra band to get the best coverage and speed (because not very many places have 3G running on the bands non-tmobile phones use, so choose wisely.), and ive read about devices not connecting properly to certain features (mms, web) with ATT and ATT-based carriers.

So keep carrier in consideration all the same (unless you're outside the US. than it probably wouldn't matter)

My suggestion: Don't even consider the 620 or 720 if you don't live in areas where T-Mobile has great coverage or compatible bands. 521 (upon release) would be best bet (or a refurbished 810 {T-Mobiles ver. 820} if you can afford it {$240 online}). If you go Non-tmobile, id shoot for the 620. 820 is probably too pricy new, and 720, as others stated, is just asking too much for what it is. If your outside the us, ive wasted my breath and give my apologies.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site

This reminds me when we were doing analysis the best choice between 777 330 737 737, stretch or not, ER or not, 3 layout or 2, seat, cargo or range. Ah fun times.

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

Battery shouldn't be a problem if you turn off your phone at night when you sleep which you should do anyway.
I can get over 3 days of battery in my 920 if I don't use it a lot and turn it off every night :)
usually 2 days or more though unless I play intensive games in which it drops to 1.5 days haha.
HERE Drive can be upgraded to + if you buy a license.

tbh the 620 seems best. the 520 is way too low-end low-quality and the 720 seems a bit overpriced to me.

Mellifluous

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site

I would recommend the 620 vs the 520 and 720.

Feature-wise, nothing makes the other phones stand out.

The 620 has a nice screen which makes browsing enjoyable - whites look very good. The only criticism I'd make is the feel of the screen to scroll is quite plasticky, though it's glass, and takes a bit getting used to.

The device's size and body makes it fit very nicely in the hand. It's nice and curved and compact to feel in the hand and just right, while the 800/820 unibody phones feel a bit big and angular.

The camera, though only 5MP and no Carl Zeiss lens, is pretty good. I own an 800 and find myself appreciating my 620 pics just as much as my 800's ones. The front facing one is decent too, and when buying it I compared it to the 820's, and the quality appeared the same, i.e. not as good as the 920's. I expect the front facing camera quality is much the same on the 720.

Overall, apart from the design there's no real reason to get the 520 or 720 over the 620. It is just as powerful and the components make for a good phone. I like the design, that it's got a unique look over other Lumias, and if you can overcome your initial dislike then I think you will grow to appreciate it, especially its power yet snug wize. Just don't get a white one, as they do get dirty easily - Cyan was my choice :)

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site

Battery shouldn't be a problem if you turn off your phone at night when you sleep which you should do anyway.
I really have no idea what to expect regarding battery. My Omnia 7's microUSB port is bent or something and the battery seems to have gone wonky, so it's actually going flat on me in the middle of the day sometimes. Nearly all current Windows Phones have users who complain about poor battery life.

Be careful buying outright phones (imported and where you live). I don't know where you live, but if you are in the US, than not all phones work on all carriers. TMobile phones require an extra band to get the best coverage and speed (because not very many places have 3G running on the bands non-tmobile phones use, so choose wisely.), and ive read about devices not connecting properly to certain features (mms, web) with ATT and ATT-based carriers.
I am outside of the US, but your advice wasn't wasted. I completely forgot about checking network bands, which can still be a problem (granted a much smaller one) in other countries. Thanks.

What about the 820?
It's selling @ the moment for around $315...
Yeah, I'm thinking either 620, or bumping right up to 820. I've been eyeing Kogan and Expansys, I'm reluctant to trust the other sites.

Interestingly enough, Mobileciti has Australian stock of the 8X for $370 (!) and an Optus-branded 820 for $400. I'd pull the trigger on the 8X, but there's no Nokia mapping and HTC could very well cut off updates prematurely. I'll be considering the Australian 820 if I can claim the wireless charger, time to work out where to cough up the money from :)

JimiDiGriz

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I went for an 820 and don't regret it at all. Good screen size, compact design considering and similar internals to the 920. Slapped a 64gb SD in and very happy. Wouldn't go for anything other than a Nokia due to their support and bespoke apps.

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site

I don't get these threads. I never will.

How are we supposed to help YOU pick a phone for you. You have already listed the pros and cons for each device. Weigh them yourself.

How am I supposed to know what matters the most to you? Only you will know and you've already done the hard work.

I agree with ttsoldier. Stop over-analyzing and just gethte phone you like best.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)