04-28-2013 10:00 PM
80 1234
tools
    Does the l820 is going to support this update?
    04-25-2013 10:43 PM
    I bet this concept is made by an android user. It's just sooo android-ish. You guys better follow the Guidelines for Metro.
    Dazzi likes this.
    04-25-2013 10:46 PM
    I'm on the same page as others, a little too much like android with the device center thing. The app grouping is cool though.
    Dazzi likes this.
    04-25-2013 11:27 PM
    Guys Have you played Cut the rope... if so you could have came across the pull down for sharing in cut the rope game...I am expecting a notification center like that...
    04-25-2013 11:51 PM
    I'm awestruck. And I'm speechless. If MS would just nudge in this direction, I bet the devs would push it the rest of the way. Who wouldn't want to show off their app on a start screen like this? Well, only the classy devs would do it. The rest would rather hide behind a widget and mimic something the device can already do. But the truly classy developers that with that eye for "style" could really lead with an 8.1 type concept.
    Zomby Jeezus likes this.
    04-26-2013 12:41 AM
    Guys Have you played Cut the rope... if so you could have came across the pull down for sharing in cut the rope game...I am expecting a notification center like that...

I'll never understand the need for a notifcation center.... that is what live Tiles are for... I do see a need for a quick shortcuts to Wi-FI, Blutooth, NFC, etc and that would be nice in a short menu (by sliding to the left) but, just to enable hardware based features. There is no need for a new mail or text notifcations in a "notication center", and if you think so, you are using your phone wrong. This is something Android users NEED, not so with WP...
    eric12341 likes this.
    04-26-2013 09:36 AM
    hah, i like that Nokia wannabe brand name up there. BTW its too andriod-ish for my taste.
    It's not a wannabe brand name (even tough I see the similarity), it's the name of the concept artist, Yanko Andreev.
    Onager1286 likes this.
    04-26-2013 11:27 AM
    too bad I that the chance that MS is gonna use it is really slim, although the guy used to work for Nokia or MS i forgot.
    No disrespect to the guy, but I can see why he USED to work for Microsoft or Nokia -- he simply doesn't understand or appreciate the meaning of Metro design language:

"Metro is our design language.
    We call it Metro because it's
    modern and clean. It's fast and
    in motion. It's about content
    and typography. And it's
    entirely authentic"
    04-26-2013 04:17 PM
    No disrespect to the guy, but I can see why he USED to work for Microsoft or Nokia -- he simply doesn't understand or appreciate the meaning of Metro design language:

"Metro is our design language.
    We call it Metro because it's
    modern and clean. It's fast and
    in motion. It's about content
    and typography. And it's
    entirely authentic"
    Ok, I was ok when people were stating OPINIONS, but now that you quoted, this is how I see It.

"We Call It Metro Because It's Modern And Clean"
    • This is MODERN and CLEAN, this follows ALL design schemes by Microsoft, hell it even keeps the always on Animation for the music tile (assuming it is off during the concept) which users request! I do agree (as well as other users) that there should be more tile sizes, and only more rows on Phablets. If there shouldn't be more tiles in the concept, then WP8 isn't metro either, or else they wouldn't have added smaller tiles going from WP7 to WP8.
    • I don't know if you use Windows 8 (which is METRO BTW) but the device center actually takes a lot of the style of that, mixed with some hints of popular apps style to make it look gorgeous. The typography BEHIND the items just is more metro than most apps and concept that came out.
    • The File Explorer is better than ANYTHING I could have though of for a basic File Explorer, if MS releases one I GUARANTEE it wont be as metro as this.
    • Not even gonna mention the gestures not being "Metro" because if you believe gestures aren't metro then well, obviously you didn't use W8, but I do agree, device center should be the same, but in a different location. Swiping would always lead to opening it by accident. Or maybe ONLY swipe to left on homescreen

"It's Fast And In Motion"
    • The speed for WP8 OS is always fast lets skip that.
    • This will make performing select operations quicker and painless. I recently unpinned my setting's off my homescreen, because well I feel no need for it. Now I don't like battery saver on 24/7 and don't like it to automatically cut on because I like to receive notifications normally. Today I didn't mind and instead of an easy device center I had to go to my app list, setting, battery saver and turn it on. Granted I'm lazy but that can be said for many things. Namely any settings apps. If there was a unified device center then people can have quick access to Bluetooth, NFC, location etc with only the click of a button or swipe of a screen that would make lifer easier, and a phone shouldn't require much effort to use it.

"It's About Content And Typography"
    • Don't understand here, this has Typography and brings you content you can actually see, while still maintaining a modern presence. You can see all notifications, time, date, and details of it to determine is it someone looking for you phone number for an emergency from work via Skype, Facebook, ETC (has happened to me) or a little even notification for some dumb event on Facebook. This helps you distinguish which notification came first, if you choose care about them in order. To me, that's content WITH the Typography.

"And It's Entirely Authentic"

• This isn't real, but it's an authentic concept.

An to be honest, this is all about the USER, don't like a notification/device center then don't use it. This about the user and a big chunk of the fan base want's this. It well help and ultimately be YOUR choice to use it, don't like it? Ignore it.
    Last edited by Flagz; 04-27-2013 at 12:51 AM.
    04-27-2013 12:40 AM
    ^We're not talking about features here, we're talking about the design language. While this concept took the premise of Metro with typography and flat design, it executed it horribly.

Every time someone posts these concept type things people freak out in excitement because of the features and ewww its cool and exciting. But most of these concepts are poorly executed and amateur. I understand that these are not "professionals," but it makes me vomit when people eww and ahh, then demand MS do it, when its truly bad design.

Just because its flat and has type doesn't mean its good or Metro. Typography alone is a very refined science and art. The above concept does not qualify.
    sueha and Dazzi like this.
    04-27-2013 01:04 AM
    and this is your preference, people think iOS and Android look beautiful. Look at my OP, this is what I THOUGHT and WOULD LOVE WP8 to be, this is my dream WP8 device. I think it's gorgeous.
    04-27-2013 01:09 AM
    and this is your preference, people think iOS and Android look beautiful. Look at my OP, this is what I THOUGHT and WOULD LOVE WP8 to be, this is my dream WP8 device. I think it's gorgeous.
    But it completely breaks even the most basic UI standards Microsoft has defined with Windows Phone. I didn't buy into WP so I could have a disjointed, chaotic, and unprofessional UI like Android.

I'll tell you what, I'll make some mockups of a file explorer this weekend and show you the differences.
    Dazzi likes this.
    04-27-2013 01:23 AM
    This break no standards, standards are meant to be pushed unlike iOS which stood virtually the same. This give Phablets LESS wasted space and give WP users a basic device center to manage settings and notifications while still maintain WP8 and W8 UI Elements, but EVOLVES on them, in that sense there shouldn't have even been a third tile option.
    04-27-2013 01:30 AM
    OP is missing the point. Yes WP can or should have whatever function other OSs have. But it has to present in a WP way. The concept you show us is nothing but a Android wannabee with WP-ish skin or at best a WP with Android theme/shell.
    04-27-2013 02:27 AM
    @ flagz -- WOW, what can I say. I don't understand why you are so angry at my comment -- are you the guy who created the concept, as it seems to have hit a nerve?

What do you mean, the big chunk of the fan base want a 'device center'? Please provide proof, if not then stop speaking for others -- like you said you're ok when people are stating OPINIONS?

I for one I would love a 'notification center' not a 'device center' (read my first post), but I'm not going to spit my dummy out because certain people will not agree with me -- if I wanted to be a sheep, I would of got an iPhone, or moved to a communist country.

Furthermore, you state:

"* This isn't real, but it's an authentic concept"

You then go onto say:

"An to be honest, this is all about the USER, don't like a notification/device center then don't use it. This about the user and a big chunk of the fan base want's (no such word as want's) this. It will help and ultimately be YOUR choice to use it, don't like it? Ignore it."

So my question to you is this: If it isn't real why make the second statement like it is real, and be so angry doing so?

Like you said it's my choice, and if you'd care to read my first comment, you will see that I said I would go to Android if Microsoft ever did it like the concept you have shown. But this would mean 6 of us in my household would leave, and other family members would probably follow suit -- like you said my choice.

I'm here to have a decent conversation, and certainly didn't come here be dictated and shouted at -- where I come from words written in capitals means the person is shouting.
    04-27-2013 08:22 AM
    I wasn't angry at all, I was quoting the quote so you can see if you look at it, it does indeed follow metro guidelines. Clean, Fast Modern, Motion and most importantly efficient. I'm just saying lol, and my GF also agrees that while she won't use it she sees nothing wrong with it. She and a few other friends said it look like W8 on the PC.
    04-27-2013 08:57 AM
    I wasn't angry at all, I was quoting the quote so you can see if you look at it, it does indeed follow metro guidelines. Clean, Fast Modern, Motion and most importantly efficient. I'm just saying lol, and my GF also agrees that while she won't use it she sees nothing wrong with it. She and a few other friends said it look like W8 on the PC.
    Trust me mate, you sounded angry -- like I said, there were too many words written in capitals for it not to look angry. Most people who disagreed, you answered back like you was angry.

I appreciate your opinion, as you should others. End of the day opinions are like 'bumholes' -- everybody has one lol.

May I suggest if you want to emphasise so many words, put them in single quotations, that way you won't come over has being so angry.

May I wish you a good afternoon (UK) my dear sir. Bye
    04-27-2013 10:12 AM
    May I wish you a good morning from the US. ;D Going to a theme park today anyway back to being on topic.

I'm sorry that I'm angry, I capitalize words I want to emphasize, I know a bad habit, but it stuck with me for some reason. I appreciate your opinion.
    04-27-2013 10:30 AM
    OP is missing the point. Yes WP can or should have whatever function other OSs have. But it has to present in a WP way. The concept you show us is nothing but a Android wannabee with WP-ish skin or at best a WP with Android theme/shell.
    Exactly. This concept is a far miss from WP UI standards and quality.
    Dazzi likes this.
    04-27-2013 10:53 AM
    Hello guys can anyone tell me why my data limit for downloading apps via cellular data connection only 20Mb im from india
    04-27-2013 10:56 AM
    I don't get these concepts, there was some really good stuff in there but it will never come to fruition. Why go through all the trouble of designing a concept and publishing it for everyone to see. This has no effect on what Microsoft is going to do. I guess it's just for fun. Maybe I'm an old stinker.
    04-27-2013 10:59 AM
    Hello guys can anyone tell me why my data limit for downloading apps via cellular data connection only 20Mb im from india
    That's kind off topic, but I think you need to get in contact with your Network Provider -- only they can tell you what your download limit is. I don't have that problem, as mine is unlimited.
    04-27-2013 02:04 PM
    I don't get these concepts, there was some really good stuff in there but it will never come to fruition. Why go through all the trouble of designing a concept and publishing it for everyone to see. This has no effect on what Microsoft is going to do. I guess it's just for fun. Maybe I'm an old stinker.
    Ha ha ha. I think so they can either get a job out of it, or make money from their idea. It can't be for fun, as you said it has no effect on what Microsoft is going to do -- a Wiseman once told me "nothing in life, comes for free". Lol
    04-27-2013 02:23 PM
    After looking over this concept I have to say that my desire for true multiplatform equality would be satiated by such an update. While I recognize that a phone is a phone, tablets are tablets, etc, there needs to be a great equalizer, a one size fits all OS that works and plays well on any device. Microsoft have been pushing for this with WP and Windows and I'm sure that the next Xbox will for the way of windows 8 as well.

People are voicing concern about copying android or iOS. Here's the thing; WP doesn't do all things perfect. The settings menu is a catastrophe in my opinion. App management is terrible. Customization and personalization are as basic as they would be. I know some of you are reading this and thinking "well just switch to android then", but that's just the problem. I don't want to use something just because its refreshing but also make a bunch of compromises. I want the whole package. This concept brings alot of what windows 8 has that WP doesn't as well as features from competing platforms.

At this point in WP's life, a pattern has emerged. WP needs to be as accessible as possible for it to get more users, which will bring a wider range of devices, which will bring more apps and updates. Its that simple. Everytime I hear about not needing a notification center or any other improvements that competing platforms have I begin to see the problem. I can hardly see the point in switching to android because of an update like this because its.... Too much like android? That barely makes any sense. It seems as though some only use WP because its cool to root for the underdog, but when that underdog starts walking like the leaders, you throw them to the curb.

At the end of the day, WP will never be like android. They are fundamentally different operating systems. However, to suggest that integrating core proven features of other OS's is worthy of ditching WP for something else is just silly. That's like saying WP shouldn't have predictive text when you're typing because android had it first.
    04-27-2013 04:02 PM
    After looking over this concept I have to say that my desire for true multiplatform equality would be satiated by such an update. While I recognize that a phone is a phone, tablets are tablets, etc, there needs to be a great equalizer, a one size fits all OS that works and plays well on any device. Microsoft have been pushing for this with WP and Windows and I'm sure that the next Xbox will for the way of windows 8 as well.

People are voicing concern about copying android or iOS. Here's the thing; WP doesn't do all things perfect. The settings menu is a catastrophe in my opinion. App management is terrible. Customization and personalization are as basic as they would be. I know some of you are reading this and thinking "well just switch to android then", but that's just the problem. I don't want to use something just because its refreshing but also make a bunch of compromises. I want the whole package. This concept brings alot of what windows 8 has that WP doesn't as well as features from competing platforms.

At this point in WP's life, a pattern has emerged. WP needs to be as accessible as possible for it to get more users, which will bring a wider range of devices, which will bring more apps and updates. Its that simple. Everytime I hear about not needing a notification center or any other improvements that competing platforms have I begin to see the problem. I can hardly see the point in switching to android because of an update like this because its.... Too much like android? That barely makes any sense. It seems as though some only use WP because its cool to root for the underdog, but when that underdog starts walking like the leaders, you throw them to the curb.

At the end of the day, WP will never be like android. They are fundamentally different operating systems. However, to suggest that integrating core proven features of other OS's is worthy of ditching WP for something else is just silly. That's like saying WP shouldn't have predictive text when you're typing because android had it first.
    You are totally missing the point. What some are saying (including myself) is it would look too much like Android, if the 'style' of changes that are being presented with this concept were to be implemented by Microsoft.
    04-27-2013 05:13 PM
80 1234