Folder in Windows Phone

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
Windows Phone users usually complain about missing folder functionality in Windows Phone. But for me the folders functionality is already there in form of "Hubs" for example Music Hub, Gaming Hub, People Hub etc.

I think sticking with Metro UI principle it will be better if microsoft allows users to create customized hubs for their own use just like in built hubs in Windows Phones. The user should be allowed to create hubs and assign various applications to those hubs. This would easily solve the problem of not having folders in WP. For example, if microsoft could allow me to create News Hub and allow me to add applications like Weave, Collector, etc. to it, wouldn't it be great! This would be a totally new concept and would be different to the old concept of folders in other OS like Android, iOS etc. This would be really innovative and stick to Metro UI concept!

What do you guys think?

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Disappointing that you guys would gloss over this question. There are important points brought up in it, and did you not see that there are two – not one – options in the poll?

User customised hubs would be a massive undertaking. If Microsoft can pull it off, it would also be the realisation of the original promise of Windows Phone – moving away from siloed apps. People forget too quickly how great that message was, and how quickly it got buried. That was Microsoft's shot at being truly unique – Live Tiles were second fiddle and the Metro aesthetic was just an added bonus.

For such hubs to make sense, apps would have to be able to integrate into an information feed in the hub, similar to what the Pictures and People hubs do – except in this case, the apps won't know what hubs they are going to be in. A (poorly thought out) example of this challenge: with you have a "calls" hub, you might want the Skype app to integrate its calls, but a "messages" hub may need Skype to integrate its IMs. On the other hand, if there's no integration, the hub is just a glorified folder that wastes space.

Regarding start screen folders, I want them for two specific cases: OneNote and Games. I have several notes that I want quick access to, but having a bunch of them pinned as identical small tiles is a waste. Same with Games, I don't want half my start screen littered with them but I'd like quick access to at least the recent ones from the start screen. My pinned notes aren't live and my game tiles aren't either. An alternative to this would be to provide an option to speed up transition animations by 2x, it's really frustrating to have to sit through the OneNote folders opening and closing, content flying in and out, etc.

m4tthall

Dec 31, 2011
Visit site
Disappointing that you guys would gloss over this question. There are important points brought up in it, and did you not see that there are two ? not one ? options in the poll?

User customised hubs would be a massive undertaking. If Microsoft can pull it off, it would also be the realisation of the original promise of Windows Phone ? moving away from siloed apps. People forget too quickly how great that message was, and how quickly it got buried. That was Microsoft's shot at being truly unique ? Live Tiles were second fiddle and the Metro aesthetic was just an added bonus.

For such hubs to make sense, apps would have to be able to integrate into an information feed in the hub, similar to what the Pictures and People hubs do ? except in this case, the apps won't know what hubs they are going to be in. A (poorly thought out) example of this challenge: with you have a "calls" hub, you might want the Skype app to integrate its calls, but a "messages" hub may need Skype to integrate its IMs. On the other hand, if there's no integration, the hub is just a glorified folder that wastes space.

Regarding start screen folders, I want them for two specific cases: OneNote and Games. I have several notes that I want quick access to, but having a bunch of them pinned as identical small tiles is a waste. Same with Games, I don't want half my start screen littered with them but I'd like quick access to at least the recent ones from the start screen. My pinned notes aren't live and my game tiles aren't either. An alternative to this would be to provide an option to speed up transition animations by 2x, it's really frustrating to have to sit through the OneNote folders opening and closing, content flying in and out, etc.

I like your idea, just so you know :)

charming_arpit

Apr 20, 2012
Visit site
This is highly disappointing... the main feature of Windows Phone are hubs. Just see the Games Hub... all your games in one place... then why not user customized hub where he can add/remove apps links of his choice... Again i am talking about app links and not apps itself... multiple links can exist for one app in several hubs... thats how it should be in Windows Phone... It would look and function beautifully and will be unique unlike years old folders!

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
Live folders... Aggregate the live tile data of its contents. Is it much different than the "contracts" concept of search in Windows 8? As with any Live Tile, should have the ability to turn it off, but this would provide the live tile functionality and/or nested folder for quick access to groups of apps. Should retain the ability for all 3 tiles size choices. Would be a huge win. And add global search capability while our at it.

It's interesting as a user of both W8 and WP8 there are features in each that I love but aren't in the other. Search contract on W8, small tiles on WP8, swipe navigation on IE10/W8... When these come closer into alignment (blue?) things will be almost perfect if you add in this folder capability. IMHO.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786