Is there a way via settings or an app that will prevent the screen from timing out? In settings under lock screen, 5 min seems to be the highest setting possible. Is there way to lengthen it?

JHinOC
    04-28-2013 08:56 PM
    Which device do you have? Which carrier do you have?
    04-29-2013 01:39 AM
    There can be an option for no screen time out. If it isn't there for you, then it is disabled based on your phone model, manufacturer or carrier. No apps should be able to access such system-wide toggles, but you could have an app that disables the screen time out when you're in that particular app. I'm guessing that's not what you're looking for, though.

In general, I think I can say that this option is a bad idea. Leaving the screen on indefinitely and system-wide will just lead to you forgetting to turn the screen off manually, resulting in screen burn. If an app needs to keep running, it should either run under the lock screen or provide a no time out option itself.
    04-29-2013 03:13 AM
    I agree with the general bad idea if the screen is left on and one forgets to change the setting back. I have Lumia 822 from Verizon and Lumia 810 from T-Mobile in active use. Previously I have used htc HD7 and Lumia 710, but I do not recall ever having seen such an option.

What I am hoping to do is to be able to constantly monitor the screen when it is plugged in. Toast notification only bring up the screen for a few seconds. If I happened to look away, the message goes away and screen goes dark again and I would not know until I turn the screen back on again. It can be stressful to keep checking and turning on/off the screen.
    Thanks for your responses, JHinOC
    AngryNil likes this.
    04-29-2013 03:21 AM
    Perhaps in the future they'll let us set a screen-time out similar to how one sets an alarm, with a number scroll. To avoid potential screen burn issues though (I have an 820 so i'm always worried about this), perhaps it should only let you set a maximum of say, an hour. I don't know how long is safe for those of us with an AMOLED screen, but unless someone is awake 24/7, no one needs the display on all day.

For me it's the way the lock screen operates that drives me insane. Mine dims after about 1 second, and then a couple later it turns off. A little too quick for my liking, unless i'm missing a setting somewhere.
    04-29-2013 05:56 PM
    To avoid potential screen burn issues though (I have an 820 so i'm always worried about this), perhaps it should only let you set a maximum of say, an hour. I don't know how long is safe for those of us with an AMOLED screen, but unless someone is awake 24/7, no one needs the display on all day.
    I'd really like the upcoming Lumia standby screen to become an OS feature, with the notification row also added. I still have to wonder how well it's going to do with an LCD screen, though.
    04-30-2013 12:12 AM
    Perhaps in the future they'll let us set a screen-time out similar to how one sets an alarm, with a number scroll. To avoid potential screen burn issues though (I have an 820 so i'm always worried about this), perhaps it should only let you set a maximum of say, an hour. I don't know how long is safe for those of us with an AMOLED screen, but unless someone is awake 24/7, no one needs the display on all day.

For me it's the way the lock screen operates that drives me insane. Mine dims after about 1 second, and then a couple later it turns off. A little too quick for my liking, unless i'm missing a setting somewhere.
    you mean dimming the lock screen or dimming the start screen before locking up?
    04-30-2013 02:27 AM
    you mean dimming the lock screen or dimming the start screen before locking up?
    The lock screen. Bright for a few seconds, dimmed for another few..then off.

I'm sure that's fine for most people, i'd just prefer a bit more choice on those timings.
    04-30-2013 03:52 AM
    kinda weird choice.
    But if MS ever opens the permission allow apps to keep the screen alive, its gona be the lock screen. However it will be in the form of a clock, weather or music player. I guess the clock or weather will some how suits your need. And I dont think WP will ever have the option to keep the lock screen alive as you describe.
    04-30-2013 05:20 AM