Alright, so I decided to wipe my home screen clear of everything, and start over. Once I did that though, I found out that without any icons, the home screen consists of nothing but the app drawer. I was wondering, has anyone else seen this, and if so, do you use it as your start screen? It was much too bare for my tastes.
    04-29-2013 06:50 PM
    Yeah, I noticed that too a while back. It's interesting that anyone can use their phone with no start screen...not my preference.
    Alright, so I decided to wipe my home screen clear of everything, and start over. Once I did that though, I found out that without any icons, the home screen consists of nothing but the app drawer. I was wondering, has anyone else seen this, and if so, do you use it as your start screen? It was much too bare for my tastes.
    04-29-2013 07:26 PM
    This made me realize just how boring iOS really is. Their home screen is just a glorified app list.
    04-29-2013 07:48 PM
    This made me realize just how boring iOS really is. Their home screen is just a glorified app list.
    Their entire OS is just a glorified app launcher, really... It took Android delivering out of the box functionality for Apple to start including bells and whistles, and out of the big 4, IMO, it still has the least out of the box functionality. Like the classic iPhone commercial said: "the more apps you get, the more stuff your phone can do." It's really all they got.
    04-29-2013 08:31 PM
    Their entire OS is just a glorified app launcher, really... It took Android delivering out of the box functionality for Apple to start including bells and whistles, and out of the big 4, IMO, it still has the least out of the box functionality. Like the classic iPhone commercial said: "the more apps you get, the more stuff your phone can do." It's really all they got.
    Exactly. Though, at least their OS is easier to navigate...until I discovered WP Launchers on Android, some shell that replicates the WP experience on Symbian, and WP itself.
    Not to mention the Swipe UI in MeeGo

While the same could be said about other OSes, there are at least things that can alleviate that impression. WP combined shortcuts and widgets into a minimalistic structure. Symbian and Android have themes+shells and launchers, respectively, and don't forget the widgets too, as well as the Symbian sleeping screen. BB10 has the hub (which they copied from MeeGo, to a certain extent) along with the gestures.

What does iOS have? Page after page after page of icons. (I recognize that each platform has its strengths, though.)
    04-29-2013 09:05 PM
    It took Android delivering out of the box functionality for Apple to start including bells and whistles, and out of the big 4, IMO, it still has the least out of the box functionality.
    In terms of out of the box functionality, here's my take:
    1. Symbian (I honestly doubt it will be beaten by any OS in the next couple of years)
    2. WP (You can't beat Office)
    3. Android (Google services)
    4. iOS (What ARE you going to do with an iPhone? Make phone calls?)
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    04-29-2013 09:10 PM
    And now, back to the topic at hand. Has anyone tried this on Win8?
    I'm wondering what this will do.
    04-29-2013 09:11 PM
    Users talk about out-of-the-box functionality a lot, but I guess I never understood why it was so important. Interestingly enough, it seems like it's mostly WP users who believe it's important. Mobile devices are app based, and apps are meant to be used to provide functionality where needed per user. I use flagship phones on iOS, Android, and WP on a rotating basis (iPhone 5, Nexus 4, and Lumia 920), and I don't really see the advantage.

I'm not challenging by posting this; I'm honestly wondering what is better about having more functionality out-of-the-box.
    04-29-2013 09:29 PM
    Users talk about out-of-the-box functionality a lot, but I guess I never understood why it was so important. Interestingly enough, it seems like it's mostly WP users who believe it's important. Mobile devices are app based, and apps are meant to be used to provide functionality where needed per user. I use flagship phones on iOS, Android, and WP on a rotating basis (iPhone 5, Nexus 4, and Lumia 920), and I don't really see the advantage.

I'm not challenging by posting this; I'm honestly wondering what is better about having more functionality out-of-the-box.
    Sometimes, we need to have *something* to brag about :)

Kidding aside, here's a short story.
    I used to have an S60 phone. I used it as a feature phone with multitasking, no more, no less.
    Then one day, I accidentally discovered that it supported the archaic WAP. Of course, I didn't pay attention to it at first, then I discovered that surfing the internet was *free* on WAP.

Since then, I have stubbornly hung on to that phone in case I don't have access to Wi-Fi.

No other OS provides WAP access out of the box. It's why I've kept my old phone, even after two iPhones, a crapdroid and my Lumia 620.
    You could argue there's an app for that, but how do I access the internet? I live on a PAYG SIM. That rarely had any money in it.
    04-29-2013 09:43 PM
    Sometimes, we need to have *something* to brag about :)
    I wondered if that had something to do with it...

Kidding aside, here's a short story.
    I used to have an S60 phone. I used it as a feature phone with multitasking, no more, no less.
    Then one day, I accidentally discovered that it supported the archaic WAP. Of course, I didn't pay attention to it at first, then I discovered that surfing the internet was *free* on WAP.

Since then, I have stubbornly hung on to that phone in case I don't have access to Wi-Fi.

No other OS provides WAP access out of the box. It's why I've kept my old phone, even after two iPhones, a crapdroid and my Lumia 620.
    You could argue there's an app for that, but how do I access the internet? I live on a PAYG SIM. That rarely had any money in it.
    Well yeah that's definitely worth something. But besides WAP? Do any modern phones support WAP? I thought that was pretty much gone.
    04-29-2013 09:59 PM
    I wondered if that had something to do with it...

Well yeah that's definitely worth something. But besides WAP? Do any modern phones support WAP? I thought that was pretty much gone.
    TBH, I absolutely hate having to install an app to do something.
    04-29-2013 10:19 PM
    Basic functions can always be better executed if integrated natively, especially in the case of Windows Phone where background processing, interaction with hardware and access to system functions are extremely restricted. I think it's also important to have the basics OOTB, so users don't have to hunt for (potentially bad) third party apps in order to do simple things. For example, Windows Phone doesn't have a native timer. A good number of third party timers don't even schedule the timer to go off if the app is not in the foreground. A decade-old feature phone will sound a timer in the background! Running into problems with such an app would significantly tarnish a user's opinion of the platform.
    04-30-2013 02:35 AM
    1. Symbian (I honestly doubt it will be beaten by any OS in the next couple of years)
    Nailed it right on the head. If Symbian had been married to more compelling hardware from the get go it probably would've never lost any footing in the market, IMO.
    Mahdi Ghiasi likes this.
    04-30-2013 02:46 PM
    You forgot XBoxing!
    05-01-2013 05:05 PM